Interview with Assistant GM of Yukon, Kris Rice

VinCal

I’m here with Assistant GM of the Yukon Rush, Kris Rice. Thanks for a few moments Kris.

Kris : No problem, thank you so much for taking the time to interview me.

1. As the season nears, how do you feel about the team you guys put together?

I feel really good about what we have put together here. @mexicancow123 Did a lot of work in the last few months to put us in a place to succeed.   There was a lot of movement in and out of Yukon last season but it was all for the better as we were able to stock up on valuable draft picks and     bring back a lot of fan favourites to the team. The draft went extremely well as we were able to hit most of our targeted players. We wanted to build  a team that was more so built for the enjoyment of the players rather than making it just about winning a championship. We wanted to bring back players who really wanted to be here because of how much they enjoyed it here in the short time they were with us last season. To me that feels really good and that is almost as good a feeling as winning a championship.

2. How confident are you feeling about this being a playoff team?

I have zero doubt that this team is going to make the playoffs. We squeaked in last season with a rather poor roster and the team we have put together this season has a real chance to compete for a title. There are some juggernauts standing in our way such as Minnesota who is looking to repeat, Las Vegas who had an incredible draft and there are of course a few other teams who will be right in the mix as well. I have no doubt though that our team will be up for the task when the time comes.

3. Strengths , Weaknesses?

There are quite a few strengths to our team this season. Our center depth with the likes of Ray Shields, Vin Calia and Trey Nets is one of the deepest in the league. Our defense is stacked with the number 2 overall pick Zyrok12, Bo Burrows and recently acquired free agent Alex Armstrong the Rush’s D-core is going to tear it up this season. This is the deepest team Yukon has had in quite a few seasons and if everyone continues to progress and train hard throughout the season this team could really make a push to go all the way.

The only weakness that this team has right now is cohesiveness. There are a lot of strong personalities on the roster this season and when you have many of those personalities in the same room they tend to clash. I think as the season rolls on and they start creating chemistry then this issue will resolve itself.

4. What are you telling the guys in regards to the Corona Virus?

Do not panic. This Pandemic is not something to take lightly but there is no reason to panic as of yet. The VHLM season will continue as                    planned but precautions will be taken if required. For right now, limiting your time in public, washing your hands and just being aware of                   the day to day changes is all anyone can really do at this point

5. Has this Pandemic disrupted the teams preparation for the season?

Unlike the NHL the VHL/M will continue as planned. Everyone is almost putting in more time now preparing their players as they have                         been stuck home more so than they normally would be. It's a blessing and a curse but hopefully in the near future this will all be behind us                and we can get on with our normal lives.

Thanks again Kris and Good Luck to you and the Rush in the upcoming season.

Thank you Vin, I am excited for the season ahead and you are a big part of that.

664 words

Edited by VinCal