NHL Victory Edition - A STHS NHL/VHL Side League Idea *Signup Thread*

Devise

So I've been toying with an idea that I think I want to run, and I'm kind of curious how many people would be interested in joining me for the ride here. Let me just make the boiler plate pitch for you.

I am looking to run a "side" league, where members here sign up for a chance to play with NHL players. Members themselves wouldn't earn points by doing tasks or anything, there will be a weekly check in for the weeks I'm looking to run it that will qualify you to earn TPE to add to your players. Players however won't start at the same tier, with them being randomly assigned an overall tier from 1st liner to 3rd liner, with the possibility to move up through the ranks based on overall earning. Goalies will have two tiers, Starter and Back up and likewise will be able to go up and down in tiers. I'll have more details on that system as I iron it out, but I have a decent idea working that would allow members to gain and lose tiers as time goes on. The season wouldn't be long, not nearly as long as the VHL I'm targetting about half the time in terms of games and it'll be run with a 72 game schedule similar to VHL. It'll be run using the newest version of STHS, something we do not use for the VHL. 

A big reason I was interested in doing this is given how limited our testing and using of the newer version of STHS is. It's no secret that the modern versions of STHS are way more calibrated to be used with NHL players, so I figured some sim results and experience on us creating players who are more in line with NHL players, joining them would at least give us something fun and somewhat meaningful to play with. 

As I mentioned it'll also be run using NHL players alongside those who want to join us, so we have full rosters. I'm targetting, if the GM interest is also there 8 teams. So I'd need 8 interested GM's. I'm hoping for team names that we use any defunct VHL or VHLM team name that the GM in question would like to pull provided it's not a duplicate. 

In terms of "what" NHL players, my intention was to reveal that after we've had our sign ups. There will be hard roster caps in terms of overall sizes (based on what STHS already gives us which is 20) but also positional requirements. Ergo, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2 Goalies that type of thing. I will then randomly pull NHL players out of a pool to fill up the positional slots we don't have. Which means if we have an open center slot there is just a chance we see Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid join us as Lars Eller or Brandon Dubisnky. 

Both the user created players and the NHL players would be added to teams via a fantasy draft. With the user created players being drafted first, before any NHL players are randomly drawn to be added into the pool, and then the NHL player fantasy draft would occur. 

So what I need from you all, is first....are you interested? Given that with 8 teams we'd be looking at 160 players, I totally expect a good half or more of those players to be filled with NHL players. That is fine, as that is totally apart of the gimmick. But I'd love it if you'd like to sign up so if you are interested please respond by filling out the form below giving me what player name you'd like and what position you want to play. You can also let me know if you want to be one of the 8 GM's as well. Thanks for your time, if you have any questions or thoughts I'll be happy to respond. 

If people do like this, I'd like to run one of these every single VHL season, as it'll roughly take about 4 weeks (half the season) it would be a decent thing for me to do during a long season, gives us a fantasy draft every time out (and a fresh pool of NHL players) while I would allow user created players to go from tournament to tournament. There would be a fantasy draft for user created players every time though as well. 

Player Name:

Position:

Edit - I have removed the GM aspect of the form as we are more than full up on potential candidates. Thanks for your interest in GMing though and as mentioned if we run it again next season as is my intention, those GM slots will open up once again. 

Edited by Devise

• Devise changed the title to "Insert Cool Name Here" STHS NHL/VHL Side League Idea
19 minutes ago, Alex Bridges said:

No thank you, i’ll AGM if that’s a thing though lol

I'm not against allowing GM's to allow a AGM to help with lines and the NHL fantasy draft once said members player has been added to their team. 

Player Name: Buff Beav

Position: RW

Do You Want To GM A Team? Can't say I really want to but if you're getting no interest from elsewhere and you need a GM I'd do it. BRING BACK VASTERAS

Player Name: Pavlik Zettersyuk

Position: LW

Do You Want To GM A Team? Sure, Stockholm Vikings

Edited by Jubo07

Just now, OrbitingDeath said:

Not sure if this is a laugh of approval or not ? Figured this was a good shot at getting a great player.

It was more a savage burn so I'm laughing because I know it's hilarious but your totally owning me. Y'know. 

Also cool people seem to be interested in this to some degree so I'll get a spreadsheet up for current players and post a index with the entire NHL player pool I have already here so people can get an idea of what the attributes for the NHL players look like. Thanks for the interest peeps, was wondering aloud several times with this if it was just going to be me in a dark room because nobody else thought seeing a mix of NHL/VHL style players would be worthwhile or interesting. So I do appreciate the sign ups. 

Edited by Devise

Player Name: Thomas O'Malley

Position: Center

Do You Want To GM A Team? I'll only GM a team if we don't have enough slots, don't want to invite any bias complaints unjustly. :P 

@OrbitingDeath I'm pretty sure if you want to have player success I picked the better option. 

Edited by Devise

• Devise changed the title to NHL Victory Edition - A STHS NHL/VHL Side League Idea *Signup Thread*