The Michael Mac Autobiography

LastOneUp

gettyimages-1144237879.jpg

Present Day

On the evening of March 24th, I got three phone calls.

The first was from Motza, GM of the Mexico City Kings. He told me he can offer me 1st/2nd line minutes on our squad. The second was from Sonnet, General Manager of the Houston Bulls organization. 

And then the third call was from Berocka the GM of the Mississauga Hounds. He offered me first line minutes and PP time. Everything I was looking for, really. After discussing it with my agent & family, we called Berocka back and his first words out of his mouth were:

“You’re going to be a Hounnnnnnnnd!”

Have you ever heard Berocka so excited? It was glorious. He told me he had been working with my college coach to try and get me to the VHL. To hear that Berocka had actually gone to my team and advocated acquiring me … I couldn’t pack my bags fast enough.

Growing Up

I was just a kid who grew up in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Playing hockey every day, whether on the pond outside, in the shady barn down the street or at the city's indoor quad pad. I didn't care. I could skate by the time I was 3 years old and haven't wanted to take my skates off since. Fresh out of St. Thomas High School, I went to Harvard where they had an aggressive pitch to get me to play there. My academics were great, and they appreciated that. What better school to go to than Harvard?! Ivy League at it's finest. 

I played many other sports as well. Some say a multi talented athlete. My father thinks I'm actually a better baseball player than I am a hockey player, but I don't think that's true. I also played american football, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, golf, tennis, snowboarding. I could go on and on. I have tried every sport there is. But nothing was as enticing to me as hockey. 

Present Day

On my way to the airport that night the texts and calls kept rolling in. The whole team hit me up to tell me about the city and the Hounds. They each mentioned different things. A lot of what they said was about the team, Coach and the organization from top to bottom. But, I think it was Albert Stoner who told me about the fans.

“It’s the best hockey town you’ll play in.”

I mean, I wasn’t going to tell him I thought he was lying, but … Mississauga? Really? I grew up in Canada and played in Toronto and Montreal, so I thought Stoner was just feeding me some hype. Or was stoned. 

But, man, the strangest thing happened after I got to Mississauga. I must have been stopped 40 times by Hounds fans. No joke. Berocka said he had never seen anything like that. So many of them told me what the Hounds meant to them — and how desperately they wanted me to help them get back to glory.

I sort of thought I’d get to San Jose, walk down the streets in shorts every day and nobody would recognize me … but this city isn’t just a Hounds town — it’s a hockey town with a bunch of hockey nuts. Stoner was right. And the best part about that day with Albert was getting back to my apartment, sitting on the couch and realizing that people wanted me there.

Man, I am just so damn excited to be a part of this community — to feel like someone is putting their faith in me. That feeling, for me, is the most valuable commodity in the world. Because for a long time, I knew what it felt like to not be wanted.

I've always prided myself on giving 100%. Every time I stepped on the ice. Day in and day out. So when I got labelled as “spoiled,” or “selfish” for portraying myself as I did, it didn’t make sense to me. I just want to be great and make history. Isn't that what every kid dreams of? 

But the Hounds and these fans have put their faith in me now — and that’s all I’ve ever wanted. It’s a great feeling when you know you’re wanted, and it makes you play that much harder for the organization and for the fans. It’s why I love the game.  

And it’s why I feel so at home here in Mississauga.

Edited by LastOneUp

• Commissioner
On 3/25/2020 at 7:53 PM, twists said:

Wait...Aren't biographies supposed to be done during your 8th season?

Correct and @Beaviss knows this....