(Speculate) When Will NHL Resume? And What Will It Look Like?

LastOneUp

When Will NHL Resume? And What Will It Look Like?

Nobody knows the answer right now, which is why I think it would be fun to speculate! 

When Will NHL Resume?

June 2020

What Will It Look Like?

They will pickup in the playoffs, forgoing the remainder of the regular season.

Without knowing how long it will take for the virus to run it course, or medical professionals to come up with a vaccine it's anyone's guess. 

I believe the NHL will do everything they can to finish the season. Not having some conclusion to the season would leave huge ramifications to the CAP next year. League, owners and the PA would all like to avoid that. 

I think if they can start games in August, they may just be able to squeeze in the end of 2019/2020 season and playoff. Take a couple weeks off at the end for draft and free agency then fire up the 2020/2021 season say mid November. Condensed the schedule a bit and finish the season/playoffs around the beginning of July. Then 2021/2022 is back to normal

14 hours ago, Vynstik said:

Without knowing how long it will take for the virus to run it course, or medical professionals to come up with a vaccine it's anyone's guess. 

I believe the NHL will do everything they can to finish the season. Not having some conclusion to the season would leave huge ramifications to the CAP next year. League, owners and the PA would all like to avoid that. 

I think if they can start games in August, they may just be able to squeeze in the end of 2019/2020 season and playoff. Take a couple weeks off at the end for draft and free agency then fire up the 2020/2021 season say mid November. Condensed the schedule a bit and finish the season/playoffs around the beginning of July. Then 2021/2022 is back to normal

How come?

33 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Ramifications

If the NHL decides to shut down, no more 2019/2020 season this is what they stand to lose. 189 regular season games, along with all revenue. All playoff games, along with all revenue. All revenue associated with NHL games, vendors, apparel, ect. 

Since the salary cap is based on revenue, all the lost revenue puts them out a lot of money. As per the CBA salary cap is based on revenue, if your revenue take a hit, in this case could be about 20% the NHL cannot stay at the same salary cap. If they go with worse case numbers on lost revenue, you would be looking at a 2020/2021 season with a salary cap around 60 - 64 million dollars. Could you imagine the problems teams will face dropping 20 million off their current rosters. Compliance buyouts, players not being signed that deserve to play in the NHL.

If the NHL decides, hey we will just keep the cap at where it is, take the loss for now, the players will end up paying for it in the long run. I know there are endless possibilities of how this could all play out, and maybe the league, owners and players all come to some sort of agreement, but previous history doesn't make me believe that will happen very easily

Vyn

Just now, Vynstik said:

If the NHL decides, hey we will just keep the cap at where it is, take the loss for now, the players will end up paying for it in the long run. I know there are endless possibilities of how this could all play out, and maybe the league, owners and players all come to some sort of agreement, but previous history doesn't make me believe that will happen very easily

It's in the league's best interest to keep things steady. They'll massage the numbers a bit and make it work. We just aren't getting an 5M raise next year, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Vynstik said:

If the NHL decides to shut down, no more 2019/2020 season this is what they stand to lose. 189 regular season games, along with all revenue. All playoff games, along with all revenue. All revenue associated with NHL games, vendors, apparel, ect. 

Since the salary cap is based on revenue, all the lost revenue puts them out a lot of money. As per the CBA salary cap is based on revenue, if your revenue take a hit, in this case could be about 20% the NHL cannot stay at the same salary cap. If they go with worse case numbers on lost revenue, you would be looking at a 2020/2021 season with a salary cap around 60 - 64 million dollars. Could you imagine the problems teams will face dropping 20 million off their current rosters. Compliance buyouts, players not being signed that deserve to play in the NHL.

Vyn

The playoffs will almost definitely play out, and also I think you’re forgetting the draft (which people attend not just prospects isn’t that insane). Those are still standing, and a lot of players not being signed that deserve to play in the nhl if you’re referring to prospects (I think that’s better for a team if they develop, but yeah.

5 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

The playoffs will almost definitely play out, and also I think you’re forgetting the draft (which people attend not just prospects isn’t that insane). Those are still standing, and a lot of players not being signed that deserve to play in the nhl if you’re referring to prospects (I think that’s better for a team if they develop, but yeah.

They plan to play as much as they can, whether they get in some or all of the 189 games remaining yet to be seen. As for players that should be playing that may not get signed look no further than my favorite team, Vancouver Canucks. They have 64 million tied up in cap already next year and need to sign 4 - 6 more players. There just won't be enough money to go around if the cap drops, even 10 million dollars

1 hour ago, Enorama said:

It's in the league's best interest to keep things steady. They'll massage the numbers a bit and make it work. We just aren't getting an 5M raise next year, that's for sure.

In a perfect world that would be what you and I do, but the CBA is a legal document they must abide by... Sucks, but if they don't get in all the games somethings going to have to give. When the NHL and NHLPA get together to discuss issues they never come up with quick solutions, look at all previous CBA negotiations

1 hour ago, Vynstik said:

They plan to play as much as they can, whether they get in some or all of the 189 games remaining yet to be seen. As for players that should be playing that may not get signed look no further than my favorite team, Vancouver Canucks. They have 64 million tied up in cap already next year and need to sign 4 - 6 more players. There just won't be enough money to go around if the cap drops, even 10 million dollars

There’s no way the cap is dropping near 10 million $ and can you name thos 4-> 6 players

37 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

There’s no way the cap is dropping near 10 million $ and can you name thos 4-> 6 players

The CBA is a 50/50 revenue split, are you going to tell me the players will forfeit a good portion of their pay to keep the CAP @ 81M, or that the league would do the same? I'd like to be optimistic about the whole situation, but if pervious dealings between the NHL and NHLPA are any indication of what could happen...

No I cannot name the 6. Vancouver will have 14 players under contract for next season @ 64M. So realistically they need 9 more to keep their 23. Some of these will come from the farm team, some RFA's to resign, but if there is no money what do they do?

I honestly hope that COVID-19 dies out over the next couple months, minimising casualties, then the world gets back to normal. Sports start back up where they left off and we have some normalcy

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, twists said:

I heavily predict we will not see any sports for all of 2020. It's going to be a rough year. Fuck Covid-19

At this point, probably true.

The issue I see for any sports league, what if just one player is found with the virus? That could mean his whole team plus whoever they recently played could have had it then those teams go play other teams. Just one case could completely cause the league to shut down again. We have nowhere near enough tests as of now to test every single team employee before each game and practice, and even if we do I doubt the tests are 100% accurate? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...