Interview with Woody McPine

Woody McPine is a young goaltender with tremendous potential to do big things in the league. Under contract with the Prague Phantoms in the VHL, he is currently the starting goaltender for the VHLMs Minnesota Storm. Everyone knows that goalies are the weirdest players in the league, so we did a little investigating into the off-ice lifestyle of Mr. McPine.

Question: First off, Woody, what’s your gameday ritual look like?

Woody: Wake up, make breakfast. 3-4 eggs, some bacon, toast, and a smoothie. Go for a pregame skate, go home/ back to the hotel eat lunch and laze around a bit. Probably play some Chel or Fortnite. I’m bad at both. Then have a nap, eat some dinner and head to the rink and pump some tunes and chill until its time to get ready.

Q: Any go to songs on your pregame playlist? Or just a random shuffle?

W: I start off with just a random playlist, depending on my mood, and then end with some classic pump up tunes. Some Guns N’ Roses, ACDC, Motley Crew, Crazy Frog, and Weird Al are always in there, as well as some local bangers like The Trews, Craymak, Joel Plaskett, Sloan. I always end off with the greatest Nova Scotia party song of all time, The Mull River Shuffle by The Rankin Family. Gets me amped as all hell.

Q: What do you do on your days off?

W: I like to sleep in and have a late brunch at little local spots. I’m a big fan of discovering new brunch places when I visit a city. Then I head to the gym for a couple hours before heading home to watch Netflix and lose at video games. After dinner I like to go for a walk around the city, get some fresh air. Sometimes I check out antique and thrift stores. I’ve got a huge pin collection back at my parents’ place, so I’m always looking to add to that. Then head home or to one of the boys’ place and have some beers.

Q: Now, you grew up in a small town. How has that helped you on your path to success?

W: Growing up, we didn’t have a lot of money for video games and things, so I was often outside. I think that helped a lot with general fitness because there’s not a lot of sitting around when you’re outside being a little shit. We played a lot of street hockey, backyard baseball, and climbed a lot of trees. I was a bit reckless and was never afraid of hurting myself which I think is part of why I found my place on the ice as a goalie.

Q: If you weren’t a hockey player, what do you think you’d be doing?

W: I wasn’t a very good student in school, so college or university definitely wouldn’t be an option. I’d probably be at home working the family tree farm, on my way to co-ownership with my brother.

Word Count: 501

woody mcpine.jpg