A strong start!

image.thumb.jpeg.7b339c89b0fd329da24c07b9ea8c9888.jpeg

CALGARY - Jacques Lafontaine has just started his first season in the Victory Hockey League as a starter. He has been doing well with a record of 7 wins, 3 losses in regulation, and 0 overtime losses. The young goaltender has shown his prowess, making 24 saves out of 323 shots against for a save percentage of 0.926. He also has a respectable goals against average with 2.39 GAA. These numbers have put him at a tie for first place for wins, 10th for GAA and 9th for save percentage. There is a chance he could be the Rookie of The Year if he keeps up his play. However, there is some controversy about it as they are still debating whether or not he counts as a rookie. Regardless, he has not let that distract him.

"I don't really care if I'm winning the award for best rookie. That's not what I'm aiming for. While it would be nice, I'm aiming to help my team become one of the best in the league. Individual awards are just side quests. The only trophy I'm focused on right now is the Continental Cup."

It is still early in the season but Jacques Lafontaine has proven to be solid so far. He won his first game this season making 26 saves against the New York Americans as the Calgary Wranglers won with a score of 4-2.

"Yeah, it feels good to have won that game. I lost the last game and already I was starting to doubt myself. Thankfully, I was able to get over that game and I was strong in net this game." Jacques stated after the game in a press conference. "It's all about resetting mentally and moving on to the next."

Last season, he didn't get a single shutout in the 8 games he played as the backup goaltender. But this season, he was able to get his first ever shutout in the VHL, stopping all 28 shots by the D.C. Dragons in a 4-0 Calgary win.

"The shutout is awesome. It feels great to know that I was able to completely stop the D.C. Dragons with the help of my team. Everybody was great in front of me and I'm glad that I was able to make the saves. I'll definitely remember this first shutout." Jacques told reporters after the game.

So it looks like he's holding up in his first season as a starter so far. You have to wonder, what is he feeling as this is going on?

"Well, while I know that there is still a lot for me to learn here but I feel confident in my abilities. Even though I have had my bad moments, I don't feel as nervous as I did at the beginning of the season. The nerves have settled. When I go on the ice, I don't think of the fact I'm a rookie. For all I care, I am a Victory Hockey League goalie and I belong here."

He's not the only young starter for a team. Jaxx Hextall has been playing well for the Toronto Legion.

"I know Jaxx and I got to play with him in the World Junior Championships. Great guy, great goaltender. Good luck to him."

Edited by SlapshotDragon