Uhtred's Rookie Experience

leafsman

Uhtred

RW 6' 1" 205 pounds

Drafted 9th Overall

My Rookie season has been good so far.  I have scored my first career goal and have got a few assists so far.  I was honoured to be a top 10 pick and I am motivated to not become a bust.  I am really enjoying playing with these guys and I hope the wins are not too far down the road.  I just want to be like a sponge and emulate how our top players get ready for games. My main focus this season is to learn how to put myself in the best possible position to be successful.

Expectations

My expectations for this season are to score 10 goals and get 40 points.  I am an offense first type player so I know that I need to be productive to earn my ice time.   I want to shoot the puck as often as I can this season as the great one said “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”   With that said, I want to get at least 2 shots per game which will also help my offensive development. I plan to work on my defensive game a lot this season,  learning how to defend efficiently in the VHL. The other aspect of my game that I want to improve this season is my puck handling ability. As I am a physically weaker player I need to use my skating and puck handling ability to be able to get around defenders.  If I am unable to deke them out than I will likely turn the puck over way too often.

Reservations

My concerns this season are that I will not be able to produce enough to earn ice time.   After having an excellent season in the VHLM last season its gonna be hard to not be that go to Offensive player that I was last season.  This season my role is significantly different and I need to have the mindset that if I work hard I will one day become a key member of this team.  Until then I just need to work my ass off and develop my skills while trying to help us win games in whatever role the team wants me to perform. Another reservation I have is whether or not my lack of strength will hinder my ability in this league.  I am a fast skilled type of player and hopefully I’ll be able to use my skating ability to avoid the big bruiser instead of getting murdered by them