Proto

Team Color Representation on Discord

Note: This topic is discussing Username color in the main VHL discord.

Recently, some new members are feeling isolated due to not having a discord color. It seems like a minor complaint, but I think it's actually indicative of a bigger need on the site. Transparency.

We currently have a transparency issue in the Discord server. There are seemingly a billion colors floating around, with little to no rhyme or reason, other than "this color is this title". Most of these are arbitrary, and wouldn't require a color. For example, VHLM GMs are currently Green. Why? No real reason. Especially when most (if not all) of them put something like "| LVA GM" as an append to their name. This is a great flare to rock! The color means basically nothing in this case. Same with VSN contributor, Updater, etc.

Here's my suggestion. NUKE ALL OF THE COLORS EXCEPT FOR STAFF. Keep blue blue. I'm just going to start with that. I think it's very important to have identifiable staff, especially in a larger server like this one. Beyond that, no roles will have ANY colors. There will only be TWO other color groups that every member can be a part of: VHL, and VHLM. THAT'S IT. Each team in the VHL will represent their color. Davos and Prague will have to fight to the death on who gets purple. Undrafted VHLM players will have a nifty "Prospects" tag with it's own color.

A huge benefit to this is being able to see on the sidebar who is a part of which team. As the site continues to grow, it gets increasingly difficult (and by that I mean nearly impossible) to keep track of who is on what team until you have been here for literally months. This is a cool way to rock your team's flare, while also getting to feel like a WELCOMED MEMBER OF THE SERVER by having your own color. This may not seem important to all, but I assure you it is important to some. We need to step away from the clique feel and embrace the acceptance feel if we hope to continue growing, and this is a small but necessary step in the right direction.

Here's the TL;DR:

- Staff stays BLUE.

-VHL players rock their team's color.

-Undrafted VHLM players rock a Prospects color.

-NO OTHER ROLES have colors.

BONUS SUGGESTION: Job creation! There is currently a high demand for jobs. This would be the perfect opportunity to create a job of "Discord Role Manager" who can have admin controls over ONLY THESE ROLES, and assign them out/remove them as necessary. It can be a solid entry level job, with no real site risk (a la updater) and a good opportunity for someone to get their feet wet in the working job world.

Smash that thumbs up and let me know what you think in the comments below!

I love this idea as well. If you look at most Discord servers, the newest members are typically the only ones with a white name, simply because they're too new to fall into a category. However, engagement rises when people have something to be affiliated with, regardless of whether that's their VHL/VHLM team or simply their draft class. The possibilities are endless, and I think maybe even a committee of Discord Managers would be perfect to manage it.

Essentially, it can be a entry level job as Proto suggested, which is purely focused on managing roles. This would also allow for a level of interaction with new members so that roles can be distributed efficiently. 

(Less white just looks better imo)

12 minutes ago, Motzaburger said:

I am GM colour tho

I have a feeling that the only people against this change would be those who feel special because of their existing colors. Not saying you fall into that category necessarily. But @Dil for example left an "ugh" reaction for no apparent reason

1 minute ago, Proto said:

I have a feeling that the only people against this change would be those who feel special because of their existing colors. Not saying you fall into that category necessarily. But @Dil for example left an "ugh" reaction for no apparent reason

I mean, you can still keep your colors or at least a unique color. This is a server I manage with over 1,000 members, and the staff have some lighter colors that are unique, while the rest of the members have the role and color of their favorite NFL team.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 6.19.14 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I mean, you can still keep your colors or at least a unique color. This is a server I manage with over 1,000 members, and the staff have some lighter colors that are unique, while the rest of the members have the role and color of their favorite NFL team.

I think the issue with this is that a good portion of our most active members have unique colors. It also kind of works against the "identify your teammates" goal. Aside from Staff, who it is important to be able to identify, I don't think people should have unique colors. But perhaps that's a suggestion for another day :)

1 minute ago, Proto said:

I think the issue with this is that a good portion of our most active members have unique colors. It also kind of works against the "identify your teammates" goal. Aside from Staff, who it is important to be able to identify, I don't think people should have unique colors. But perhaps that's a suggestion for another day :)

Sorry, to clarify, I meant that staff would have a unique color. Perhaps GM's and even AGM's would also have a color for that category. Everyone else would have the team roles and colors.

For example, in that server, I am one of maybe two users with that color since I'm a certain staff position. Everyone else can easily identify staff members, and also other people who support the same team. This concept would slide in perfectly with your proposed idea to have people on the same team with a specific role and color.

Edited by Spartan

34 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Sorry, to clarify, I meant that staff would have a unique color. Perhaps GM's and even AGM's would also have a color for that category. Everyone else would have the team roles and colors.

Gotcha. I'm not against GMs having a unique color if that's something they want. Being selected to GM in this league is definitely a point of pride. I also like the idea of them appending their name, like most do already, and repping their team color. For example, "motzaburger | MEX GM |" is the typical identifier for GMs and some AGMs.

Edited by Proto

I feel like if we were to implement this, given how many blue teams there are, the current blues (commies etc) would need to become something else - maybe like an orange or something, so as to free up the commie color for Toronto/Helsinki/etc

1 hour ago, Mike said:

GMs can just have a darker color version of their team color.  You'll recognize them as GMs right away compared to everyone else.

Swap this to lighter-- stands out more. GMs definitely need to be a different color, especially VHLM ones, because they stand out for new players to notice and gravitate toward.

I'm also not entirely against this idea; team pride is something that's pathetically nonexistent in the VHL. Little changes like adding discord role colors would definitely be for the better, so long as we can actually manage them accurately. Trying to apply proper roles to literally 23 teams worth of players (that continue to change every season) is a major pain in the ass- who's job is that going to be? Discord mods? GMs? It's a lot of tedious work and upkeep just for the sake of boosting little Johnny's ego because he doesn't have a white name.

11 hours ago, Sonnet said:

Trying to apply proper roles to literally 23 teams worth of players (that continue to change every season) is a major pain in the ass- who's job is that going to be? Discord mods? GMs? It's a lot of tedious work and upkeep just for the sake of boosting little Johnny's ego because he doesn't have a white name.

The bonus suggestion at the bottom of my original post would answer most of these questions. We would create a new job to manage them.

And I don't think managing VHLM team colors is practical, users would either rep their VHL team or have a "prospects" color until they are drafted. Of course, we could always hire a second person and they could manage VHLM colors, but 23 is just a lot and may not help the confusion factor.

Edited by Proto

As much as I hate on Discord, I actually like this idea.

Regarding it being too much work - yes, it will be a lot of work at the beginning, and maybe we can have some volunteers get admin power to help change usernames or colors or whatever, but why don't we create a "role request" section of the discord and the only way you get your name color changed is by requesting it in there?

I wholeheartedly agree with this. When I came back after a few seasons of break I popped into the Discord and had no idea who to message (apart from the people I knew before ex. Beketov, Diamond) 

This is a wonderful Idea and I have loads of experience with Discord and would put my hat I  the ring for managing these roles if it happens. 

We may not see a change right away but I think this is the way to go.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.