WSJ on Prague Battling for #1 Seed

Cornholio

Wolf Stansson, Jr. has seen it all with the Prague Phantoms. Being the franchise's first rookie draft selection, going through the growing pains, seeing some glimpses of hope only to fall apart… and now Wolf and the rest of the Phantom teammates' stellar play thus far this year has propelled the team to just a point shy of the #1 overall seed through 28 games. Granted it's only a third of the way into the season - but this is something definitely notable. Prague is tied for sixth in goals scored and is tied for the league lead in least goals allowed. 

"Defense wins championships. That's been our team focus this year and we are committed to it. Our guys have all been working on their defense and we all really want to send our retiring goaltender Brick Wahl off atop the mountain. Brick has been nothing but amazing for us and we sort of let her down last year. This year, we aren't going to allow that to happen. Same for Joel Ylonen, he's had sort of an underachieving career and we want to try our best to help him get another championship notch on his belt. We were in a similar position last year at the beginning, only to hit a bad slump mid-season and that was something that we never really recovered from. Cannot let that happen again this year. We've got too much to lose. 

Playing back on the first line has been kinda cool -- but I think this has really made me truly appreciate playing on the second line. I think that there were more opportunities for me to get points on the second line 'cause you're going up against the best on the first line and it isn't always easy. But as long as I'm posting a positive plus/minus, I cannot really complain too much. I've given up any notions of becoming a Hall of Famer here in the VHL, so might as well try to contribute to the team success as much as I can while I'm in Prague."