RIP 701 - VHL Memorial

gorlab

I'm sure some of you already have heard the news but a former VHL member, and long-time sim league community member, David Theusch aka @701 passed away on Monday, April 13th. He was only 24 years old and his passing was tragic and unexpected.

David was a bit of a polarizing member who was never afraid to speak his mind and bring his thoughts/suggestions to the community. This rubbed some people the wrong way but also endeared many people to him. Speaking from my own experience, Dave was a genuinely caring and friendly guy who, like most of us, used sim leagues as an escape from the tedious grind of day-to-day life. He was always down to chat about anything and was fiercely loyal to his friends. Although he hasn't been active on VHL for the past couple of years, he was an important and active member when he was here. He was a very underrated graphic designer and loved to represent his hometown of Minot, ND, playing a pivotal role in establishing/rebooting the Minot Gladiators VHLM franchise. 

I'm making this post in honour of his memory. Dave was somebody who, although I never met in real life, talked with very regularly. There was a good period of time where he and I spoke every day. He had a great sense of humour and was just very easy to talk to and was a major influence in helping me, and others, learn how to make graphics. He was always willing to help, give advice, or just shoot the shit. Over the past couple of years, as we got older and more irl responsibility took up our time, we slowly lost touch and the news of his passing hit me pretty hard. I truly regret not reaching out and catching up with him when I had the opportunity to do so.

Regardless of knowing 701 or not, please feel free to pay your respects or post any memories of him you have in this thread. Also, I want this post be a reminder that, even though most of us have never, and will never, meet each other in real life, real human connections are made between members in our community and to be thoughtful of this. Let people know you care about them and that they've brought a positive influence to you and your life. 

RIP David Theusch. You were always a real one and a guy I'm proud to consider a friend. You will be missed.

I'm also including a link to a memorial fund that was setup to support his family and help alleviate the financial burden of his passing and funeral. If you have ability, please consider donating to his memorial gofundme page: Here.

• Commissioner

RIP Dave. I don’t recall having many conversations with you over the years but that doesn’t make it sting any less when the VHL loses one of its own, especially so young and especially someone who was around for so long back in the day.

I wonder if we have any of his old GFX lying around? Could put something up on the portal maybe.

Damn. That's so sad. I had quite a handful of interactions a with 701, across a few leagues, but can only consider him an acquaintance. I'm sad to hear of any passing, but especially of someone so young and connected to the community. 

My prayers go out to his family, friends and any of you who knew him closely.

Oh my god...Rest in peace Dave. 

@701 and I often had a few differing opinions. we had some steamy debates but would always have a laugh after. this is a sad day. I hope you are dancing with angels in heaven brother. Rest well, rest in peace Dave

RIP to Dave, aka 701. I don't think our paths ever crossed here, if they did it was very brief, but to lose someone so young is awful, and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

5 hours ago, Beketov said:

RIP Dave. I don’t recall having many conversations with you over the years but that doesn’t make it sting any less when the VHL loses one of its own, especially so young and especially someone who was around for so long back in the day.

I wonder if we have any of his old GFX lying around? Could put something up on the portal maybe.

Found this... he didn't make it, but it is of one of his players:

sNn3qka.png

That’s awful.  I had absolutely no idea, this is just heartbreaking to read.  701 and I had some interactions, generally about graphics stuff.  He had his arguments on the forums at times but from my (admittedly not very in-depth) experience he was always cordial and kind in private.  It’s so hard to imagine something like this happening as on forums like this it’s so easy to not think about the person behind the member.  I hope his family can recover.

RIP Dave.  24 is way, way too young.

Edited by solas

Happy to see this posted. Thank you @gorlab. I was starting to think it wouldn’t happen! 

David and I go pretty far back to some early SHL days. I can’t even remember the seasons but very early SHL all the way throughout his time there and here. It was Gorlab, Brandon, Kit, Dyl OG, 701 and myself doing our every night, late night chats on KiK getting all silly on our marijuana and all that stuff, or private talks and interactions throughout the leagues and shit. I was very much similar in the way that as we got older, the talks weren’t as frequent due to life but if he ever rolled on or I spotted him we’d always throw one another a message. He was very honest and always spoke what he felt was real and he was a very loyal and good person to have in your corner. I think we went to battle for one another on a few occasions. If we had a disagreement, it was never anything we couldn’t squash out.

One story I guess I have, and I’m unsure it’s really a story but it’s something, is that Davis and I supported one another on a different level too and goes along with exactly what Gorlab said. It had to of been 7-8 years ago now (Give or take) and it was a time in my and his lives where we were partying but also being young and figuring shit out. I had some tough spots as most young adolescents do growing up/learning and while I had great support in my real life, I had great support from some in the league and David/I played a good role in supporting one another, giving advice and just being there to chat when things got a little tough for one another. I’ve worked my ass off to be where I am now in a good position and all that jazz but one can’t look back while reflecting on his life/time in the leagues and not be thankful for his presence for myself in these leagues. My hard work was the reason I am here, but his support, friendship and everything of course is a piece to that puzzle. 

It was very sad to hear the passing of someone I’ve known in these leagues for what felt like forever. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t tear up when looking at his page, knowing he had passed, but seeing that shit eating fucking grin he always had on his fucking face. Shame he dipped off the league and people didn’t get to experience how caring and great of a person he could be.

David, you were too young, buddy. Smoke a chubby up there for me. 

I remember 701 being one of the first members I met on sim leagues. He was as you said a very stern person who spoke his mind but I think at the time that’s why we got a long so well. 

we talked a lot, he was a great person to shoot the shit with and he was a genuine human being, one of the real ones. 

this is a very heartbreaking time, you will be greatly missed Dave ❤️ RIP until we meet again. 

Oh man, this is awful to hear. We talked somewhat regularly for a few seasons back in the day when we were both younger.

Rest in Peace to him and condolences to his family

Edited by Kyle