VHL Recruitment - How Did you Join, and How would You Convince Others to Join?

eaglesfan036

Story of How I Joined the VHL, Why I've Remained, and Why The Community Should be Emphasized as a Key Part of Recruitment

I joined the VHL nearly exactly eight years ago, as I am pretty sure it was around April when I joined at the ripe old age of 14 (younger than @Dil). @flyersfan1453 had already been a member of the VHL for one season, and tried to convince me to join. He initially described the VHL as an online hockey simulation league where you write articles in order to earn attributes to improve your player. I thought this idea was very dumb at first as I was very busy with my high school homework, and why in the world would I want to spend time writing even more papers? I decided to trust my brother and give this site a shot, and I joined during the perfect time as the VHLM draft was later that same day. Flyersfan was already on the Ottawa Lynx, Gmd by @Jericho, and we were hoping I would fall to the 3rd round so he could draft me (I guess VHLM drafts were kind of deep at that time). Then scarily enough @Higgins approached me in chat, as he was a GM of another team (I think Oslo), and kind of interviewed me for the draft. I remember trying to play dumb and act like an idiot so he wouldn't draft me, and it succeeded as I got to play on my brothers team (something that actually has only happened a few times on my eight years here). I used to go really hard writing hardcore hockey articles, not quite realizing what this website was, and actually would spend like an hour or two writing media spots about the best VHLM goalies or my player's training regimen. It took me a while to catch on that the best aspect of this website is not the hockey itself, but the awesome community. Lots of people have built years and years of relationships on here, and you see it now more than ever with people gaming together on discord, playing town of salem together, or having some of the strangest conversations I have ever seen.

This brings me onto my next topic; How in the world do you explain this website to a friend you think might be interested without sounding like a crazy person? Also @diamond_ace, did I use the ; correctly in that sentence? I was never sure how to use that when writing papers for school. When Flyersfan initially told me about this league I thought it was crazy having to spend all this time working on your player and was very skepical. The relaxing of media spot grading and usage of welfare has helped in that regard now, as you can make a pretty decent player on here spending no more than a half hour a week. I think the best way to convince people to join this place is to describe the community, with all the social interaction I have listed above. Two things have really impressed me in the VHL community within the last year.

1) The thousands of dollars we donated to the make a wish foundation - This league has made a huge difference in many of our lives, and it was great to see that we were able to spread that cheer to a kid who really needs it most.

2) We unfortunately have seen two members pass away over the past few months, and the outpouring of support and sadness really shows how together we are as a community. We all use this place similar to sports as an escape from the doldrums of everyday life, and a place to have some fun and find kinship with each other. 

I realize I have now rambled well over the 500 word mark, and want to thank the VHL community for being so awesome these past eight years, and think we should emphasize our great community more in recruiting. Eaglesfan out

Edited by ContinentalCup036