How to Git Gud: An Introductory Guide to TPE Earning

ColeMrtz

With all the progress the VHL has made in recent seasons, there's a lot of new things to learn, and a lot of old information that has since become outdated. While progress is great for everyone, the league has a tendency to put these changes as something we'll all "figure out with time". This works fine for the people who have been around, sure, but as I've quickly come to find out it leaves a lot of people behind. New players have a challenge of waltzing between new rules and outdated ones that often contradict, and a plethora of information they often times have to hunt for. This has left me with an idea to bring together the relevant earning info as of S72, and consolidate in one place, somewhere new players can look to learn how they can build a superstar.

Before we get into this guide, I'd like to make it abundantly clear that you by no means need to complete every task in this guide to compete. Some of the leagues best are welfare players (you'll learn about that later), and optimizing your build is more important than simply having the most TPE. I'll link to a couple very helpful guides on building at the bottom, so you can get an idea of what to do with all the TPE you are going to earn.

Now, let's start with the basics:

WEEKLY EARNING

Many new players aren't sure where to start with claims, or are told to "just claim welfare". This quickly becomes boring and disengaging, often times leading to members leaving the site all together. Do no fear, however, as I with my infinite wisdom have come to share with you all the different options you have for claiming TPE. Let's start with our capped options:

Point Tasks:

-Media Spots

-Graphics

-Podcasts

Point Tasks can be done once a week for 6 TPE. They count against your weekly cap of 12, and are your main source of TPE. Media Spots must be 500 words in length, and can be claimed for additional weeks if they exceed 500 words. Graphics are a little more straight forward, one graphic = 6 TPE. Graphics, like all point tasks, must be league related. They oftentimes come in the form of player forum signatures, or sometimes recruitment banners for the various VHL/VHLM teams. Podcasts are where things get tricky. If only you are claiming it (a solo podcast or a podcast with the guests not claiming the TPE), it only needs to be 15 minutes long. From there it gets a little hectic, so I'll just show you the breakdown.

unknown.png.4c7b37f3179e1ea9e00d0093d202aff5.png

To claim them you will have to copy the link to your Point Task, click on Update Player at the top of the forum, and click "claim capped" on the right hand side. From there you fill out the form as needed, putting what week you are claiming for, what type of task and the link to your post.

For those who find the Point Tasks daunting, or even just don't have the time for that week, Welfare is the option for you. By simply commenting in the weeks thread, you get a free 4 TPE to claim. You can ONLY claim this if you don't claim a Point Task for that week, as this takes the place of it. Claiming it is easy too, rather than linking to the post, click the share icon on the top right of your comment in the thread, and use that as your link when you claim. This allows multiple people to claim in the same thread and ensures you've posted there. You can find weekly welfare threads here.

These are your core capped TPE opportunities. However, your capped TPE, well, caps at 12. So if we get half from our Point Tasks, where are the other 6 coming from?

Secondary Capped:

-VHL.com

-Press Conferences

-Reviewing

-Trivia

These capped opportunities require less work than Point Tasks, and are worth 2 TPE each. For VHL.com, you can do any of the three categories of Point Tasks with reduced requirements. For VHL.com articles, you only need to write 150 words, for Graphics they can be less intensive than a proper 6 TPE Graphic (the standard isn't incredibly clear), and podcasts can be a minimum 5 minutes. Unlike proper Point Tasks, .com tasks can't be multi-claimed if you hit the requirement more than once, so writing a 1000 word VHL.com article is still only worth 2 TPE. Press conference are slightly easier, as most teams will post team conferences once a week. Simply ask or answer 6 questions in any press conference (you should do your own teams/players press conference, but you can do any of them) and use that comments link to claim another 2 TPE. Reviews are worth 1 TPE each, and you can do it twice a week. A review should be a comment under another players Point Task, that provides them with at least one constructive paragraph. You should be reviewing articles from oldest to newest, so if you choose to seek out reviewing TPE keep that in mind. Finally, Trivia. Most lockerooms have a trivia channel where the almighty trivia gods ( @Esso2264 and @GustavMattias ) will post the answers for you. This is basically free TPE, and all you have to do to claim it is link the answers post when it comes out. All of these are claimed in the same area you claimed your Point Tasks/Welfare.

Great! Now we've hit our 12 TPE cap, surely there's no more TPE to be earned, right?

WRONG

Enter uncapped TPE, there are many ever-changing ways to gain additional TPE every week that doesn't count against your cap, and can set your player apart from the rest. I'm going to cover things in a somewhat broader sense here, as there are lots of opportunities here that fall in the same vein. We'll start with the easiest one, Practice Facility.

364368605_2020-04-24(2)_LI.jpg.150922a1b8a1490e60cf03435a4a7605.jpg

You click a button. That's it. It's instant, free, uncapped TPE. While you're in the VHLM you will get 2, and once you move up you get 1. It's claimable once a week, and of all the things on this list there's really no reason not to claim it. 

One of the best ways to set yourself is career Point Tasks. They are once a career tasks that are worth 5 uncapped TPE each, written at certain points in your career. They typically involve a 400 word article, along with a picture or graphic. You get 4 opportunities to do these, for a total of 20 TPE, so being on top of these will set you substantially ahead. Your first one, the Junior Review, can be found here.

The last uncapped opportunity I will touch on is the VHL Fantasy Zone, as pretty much everything else is event based. Within the VHL Fantasy Zone there is the VHFL, where you draft a line of VHL players to earn points and ultimately uncapped TPE throughout the season. There is also Pick'em and Predict the Score, where predicting the outcome of VHL sims will earn you more uncapped TPE. And perhaps the biggest component of the fantasy zone, Awards Prediction. This is participated in by loads of the league, predicting which players will earn which awards and which teams will take home the cup. Correct predictions earn yet more uncapped TPE, and it's a completely automated system that simply requires you to input your guesses at the end of the season.

So that about wraps up all the ways you can earn. I've alluded to a couple events throughout the season, where you can earn even more uncapped on top of all this, such as doubles week (which I'm coincidentally writing this article for) and recruitment drives, but they will typically be announced on both the forums and your Discord lockeroom, so you'll know when they come around. As far as what to do with all this TPE, @GustavMattias has written a series of article dedicated to teaching new players how to build, and if you'd like to check them out as well they will be found below. Good luck and welcome to the VHL!

1369 (nice) words