21 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

I know this has already been covered elsewhere, but VHL BoG is an unpaid position, and to be quite honest, I have no idea why it would be a paying position in other leagues in the first place.

Totally. What am I going to charge per paragraph here? Haha.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, Victor said:

This is a serious institution, how dare you try to make a mockery of it.

image.png

I tried but no results found.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

image.png

I tried but no results found.

Just use any gif where hhh is taking a beating, that’s about the same thing right?

I've been in the BoG for the majority of the time I've been here, and I've never once tried to make changes there to benefit myself. I don't recall it really ever being that way.

I mean, shit, a lot of guys in the BoG wanted to take away GM pay, some of them VHL GMs themselves.

Stupid question. When the league had AGMs did they do anything outside of update Press Conference for the GMs? Was there actually any mentorship/internship work happening? I think the league needs to adapt the idea as an internship where they can do some tasks. If the goal is to prepare the future GMs of tomorrow would it not be better that they had a hands on approach on how to do the job? Then they won't need to take the following courses How to GM in VHL 101 and hopefully one day complete with honours Winning a Championship in VHL 404. 

That for me would be great for AGM that maybe once a month with approval of the GM they do weekly tasks. Which then that week the GM can give their pay to the AGM?

1 hour ago, BigTittySmitty said:

Stupid question. When the league had AGMs did they do anything outside of update Press Conference for the GMs? Was there actually any mentorship/internship work happening? I think the league needs to adapt the idea as an internship where they can do some tasks. If the goal is to prepare the future GMs of tomorrow would it not be better that they had a hands on approach on how to do the job? Then they won't need to take the following courses How to GM in VHL 101 and hopefully one day complete with honours Winning a Championship in VHL 404. 

That for me would be great for AGM that maybe once a month with approval of the GM they do weekly tasks. Which then that week the GM can give their pay to the AGM?

Personally, I know that one of my main tasks as NYA AGM is to get the PC up, and I make sure I get it done early in the week. Apart from that, it's whatever Esso would like me to help him out with, and most of those times, he's usually giving me some guidance or advice on how to do stuff. It's also nice to pick the brain of a GM as I hope to have that position in the future, so I definitely understand the point that an AGM position is an internship/mentorship.

That being said, I honestly don't really care about the pay. I'm doing it out of my interest and to further my knowledge of what it entails to be a GM. If my efforts can help Esso run the team or give him someone outside the team to bounce ideas off of, I'm glad that I can make that contribution. What's disheartening to me is that AGM's aren't really valued for their own contributions and interest. It's turned more into "AGM's only want the pay" or "we don't even really need AGM's" rather than "these are people invested and interested in managing a team, and we should promote this transitional position." Obviously I can't speak for every AGM's intent in applying for the position, but between myself and a few AGM's I know, we're invested in engaging activity in our LR's and trying to help out our GM where we can. To see people not appreciating that mentality and effort is my main problem in this debate tbh. 

Edited by Spartan

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Personally, I know that one of my main tasks as NYA AGM is to get the PC up, and I make sure I get it done early in the week. Apart from that, it's whatever Esso would like me to help him out with, and most of those times, he's usually giving me some guidance or advice on how to do stuff. It's also nice to pick the brain of a GM as I hope to have that position in the future, so I definitely understand the point that an AGM position is an internship/mentorship.

That being said, I honestly don't really care about the pay. I'm doing it out of my own interest and to further my knowledge of what it entails to be a GM. If my efforts can help Esso run the team or give him someone outside the team to bounce ideas off of, I'm glad that I can have that contribution. What's disheartening to me is that AGM's aren't really valued for their own contributions and interest. It's turned more into "AGM's only want the pay" or "we don't even really need AGM's" rather than "these are people invested and interested in managing a team, and we should promote this transitional position." Obviously I can't speak for every AGM's intent in applying for the position, but between myself and a few AGM's I know, we're invested into engaging activity in our LR's and trying to help out our GM where we can. To see people not appreciating that mentality and effort is my main problem in this debate tbh. 

That's good. I only mentioned the pay aspect as the current rules GM's get paid TPE so, figure for then if the AGM did everything once a week every month they earn that. Nothing drastic as working within the confines of everything. I am just curious if other's are giving more of a responsibility to their AGMs. It's always a nice luxury to have someone to help and teach the ropes if you can. I know in other leagues people don't want GM jobs due to other needs and a big one is fear of what the job actually entails. Which is why I would ask about the more practical side of things. I remember in another league I accidentally helped mentor my GM there as I did not want the job due to time commitments (and other reasons I won't get into) but I was more a 3rd sounding board as that league has a GM, co-GM but get paid in cash for league rules.

1 hour ago, BigTittySmitty said:

Unfortunately that would probably require the league to actually recognize AGMs as a position which they have made very clear they don't want to.

6 hours ago, Mr_Hatter said:

No you are supposed to post gifs about how mad other people are to belittle their positions ?‍♂️

NGL, I'd be mad if i were you as well. That's not exactly how to respond as someone who was a major part of the decision making.

However, I do disagree with you and Twists stance in regards to AGM pay, respectfully.

ps: you're a wizard, hatter

Edited by fonziGG

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, BigTittySmitty said:

That for me would be great for AGM that maybe once a month with approval of the GM they do weekly tasks.

You specifically mentioned the PC’s; there’s absolutely nothing stopping them from doing the team press conference questions. Absolutely no rule dictates that the GM is the only one who can and they wouldn’t need any pay for it because you could still claim it as regular press conference questions so there’s 2 capped right there instead of the 1 they’d have been getting splitting it with the GM.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

You specifically mentioned the PC’s; there’s absolutely nothing stopping them from doing the team press conference questions. Absolutely no rule dictates that the GM is the only one who can and they wouldn’t need any pay for it because you could still claim it as regular press conference questions so there’s 2 capped right there instead of the 1 they’d have been getting splitting it with the GM.

I just mean them doing more GM tasks. That go right into the route of How to GM 101. How to work the back end system of how to upload a file for lines, strategies, etc. The big thing I am looking at is the meat and potatoes of GM'ing

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, BigTittySmitty said:

I just mean them doing more GM tasks. That go right into the route of How to GM 101. How to work the back end system of how to upload a file for lines, strategies, etc. The big thing I am looking at is the meat and potatoes of GM'ing

And GM’s should be teaching them those things but not offloading them which is the slippery slope we enter into if we start expecting AGM’s to do all that. It becomes a mess of who is really the GM and who isn’t.

Im all for GM’s engaging their guys and teaching them the ropes, I encourage it. I just don’t want to see a GM hiring someone so that they can do half the job we hired them for.

Just now, Beketov said:

And GM’s should be teaching them those things but not offloading them which is the slippery slope we enter into if we start expecting AGM’s to do all that. It becomes a mess of who is really the GM and who isn’t.

Im all for GM’s engaging their guys and teaching them the ropes, I encourage it. I just don’t want to see a GM hiring someone so that they can do half the job we hired them for.

Fair and valid point. Would recognizing the role and then limiting what can/cannot be done over x amount of weeks of the season by the AGM be considered. It's why I came up with the once a month idea as once every four weeks would seem like a fair way to start doing stuff getting ready and refreshing that training

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, BigTittySmitty said:

Fair and valid point. Would recognizing the role and then limiting what can/cannot be done over x amount of weeks of the season by the AGM be considered. It's why I came up with the once a month idea as once every four weeks would seem like a fair way to start doing stuff getting ready and refreshing that training

I posted two issues with AGM’s a page or two back and I stand by them. I’m not trying to be harsh, I’m just trying to be realistic. It’s a role the league has no real control over and dictating what they must do on a weekly basis kinda goes against the whole point of what they are. That’s why we look at them as a learning experience, not a job.

They can 100% be taught how to do GM things without actually doing it all for the GM and without being paid for it. Take @Shaka for example. He signed up for an AGM spot because he wants to GM some day. Didn’t even know the pay splitting was a thing and didn’t care because that’s not his objective, his objective is to learn. I’m sure there are others by the way, he’s just the first that came to mind.

We’re accepting they are a thing but I see no reason to formalize it into a role that can be too easily abused. They are a learning experience and should be treated as such.

19 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I posted two issues with AGM’s a page or two back and I stand by them. I’m not trying to be harsh, I’m just trying to be realistic. It’s a role the league has no real control over and dictating what they must do on a weekly basis kinda goes against the whole point of what they are. That’s why we look at them as a learning experience, not a job.

They can 100% be taught how to do GM things without actually doing it all for the GM and without being paid for it. Take @Shaka for example. He signed up for an AGM spot because he wants to GM some day. Didn’t even know the pay splitting was a thing and didn’t care because that’s not his objective, his objective is to learn. I’m sure there are others by the way, he’s just the first that came to mind.

We’re accepting they are a thing but I see no reason to formalize it into a role that can be too easily abused. They are a learning experience and should be treated as such.

Sounds good, the pay wasn't a cross I would die on tbh. be anything on my radar as I've done the co-GM in other leagues, was invited to be a co-GM in another and even had someone say if it wasn't for me as an advisor/mentor for a new GM in different league. They would have left. I just remember where I co-GM'd it was mostly in title than anything with a few odds and ends like scouting. But nothing to help me over the hump to be the main GM.

I should state as well that for those who are unaware the portal has an AGM system. GMs assign one on the back end for permission purposes, and we've never had issues with them showing up to draft or doing other required duties. 

So it's not an issue of recognizing the position, just about the pay. Obviously the work an AGM does similar to an actual GM should be paid. But ideally, one wouldn't be an AGM forever and their hard work would pay once they formally take over a full GM spot.