What's with the Standings?

Gustav

I started out with the intent to write this article about how Davos is at least kind of living up to expectations and talk about how I'm glad that all the moves I made this past offseason aren't crashing down around me and making me look stupid, but then I went and took a look at the standings so I could say "Davos is sixth in the league and third in the EU conference" and realized that there's a whole lot about the standings that's just...off (or, at least, a lot that I didn't think would be the case).

-Helsinki is #1 in the EU. I do have to give credit to Jubo and the fine players of Helsinki here for keeping up a good degree of success. Buying Johnson in a move that not many people saw coming and then proceeding to sign Rodriguez helped them out quite a bit even though they didn't give up a ton for that. They're not exactly a loaded team, but they have a good amount of 600-700-ish-TPE players, putting them in "not bad" territory. I'm still surprised that they're sitting on top at the moment, though standings are tight enough that this could certainly change.

-Malmo is somehow not terrible. 8-10 is not bad, considering that Malmo shipped out all their stars (except Adrienne I guess?) in the past season for future assets. It should be interesting to see how much they do or don't drop off, as well as what does or doesn't happen to Adrienne (with apologies to five out of six VHFL teams if he doesn't go anywhere).

-Toronto is better than they should be. Toronto continues to be a dumpster fire, with Hextall, Killinger, and Magnum making up just about the only parts of the roster worth looking at TPE-wise. 10-6-2 is a really solid start, though, putting them up with the top teams at the moment.

-DC and New York suck. Here we've got two of the best teams in the league from a TPE perspective, and here we've also got the two teams at the bottom of the standings. Maybe it's a strong conference, maybe not, but one would certainly expect both of these teams to have gotten off to a better start.

Standings are still pretty tight, so anyone could end up anywhere at this point. I'm interested to see if some of the weirdness we've seen so far ends up persisting.

3 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

-Malmo is somehow not terrible. 8-10 is not bad, considering that Malmo shipped out all their stars (except Adrienne I guess?) in the past season for future assets. It should be interesting to see how much they do or don't drop off, as well as what does or doesn't happen to Adrienne (with apologies to five out of six VHFL teams if he doesn't go anywhere).

Adrienne will not go anywhere and yes, I drafted myself 6th overall.

Edited by OrbitingDeath

Review:

These kinda of posts are always fun, thank you for this Gustav. Anyway this article gives a look at how much parity there is in hockey because of the systems in place, or more likely in this case it's the sim engine fucking with us. While it's still early in the season we are seeing teams that should be good do bad and teams that should be bad doing good, D.C and NYA are pretty well loaded TPE wise but the team just isn't clicking I guess? You mention Helsinki who is surprising many of us but already bouncing back from last season and giving credit to Jubo, the fact that Malmo is somehow doing alright despite seemingly entering a rebuild, and the not so dumpster fire of a team that is the Legion who stunned everyone with their great start. If there's anything else worth a mention it's all the little comments in brackets giving some personality to the post that I often find gets a chuckle out of me. 8/10.