A Look at Every Trade I've Made This Season

Gustav

So I've done a LOT of shifting things around this season. I've had some people who like what I'm doing, and I've also had some people who don't. I actually had more than 500 words written up that just summarized every single player I have on my roster, but I was about a third of the way through when I realized that...nobody cares about that kind of thing. It's just a run down the roster and me saying "hey, this player exists, they play for me, they have [numbers off of the portal] this season and here's a bit more filler so I can claim this article for three weeks." It's cheap, it doesn't involve any actual content, and I wouldn't get any likes from anyone who I didn't ping in that article, simply because nobody cares--not even myself. I probably would have finished that up and claimed it for TPE had I actually wanted to finish it, but even I thought it was garbage and my ego is as inflated as a 14-year-old first-gen who signs up thinking we're all about to get wrecked on NHL 20. Anyway, @Renomitsu has been doing whatever he possibly can to get me to stop making graphics and do an article once in a while, so I figured I'd appease him by throwing together a list of all the trades I've made this season so far, along with a bit of opinion and musing. Hopefully this gives a bit of insight into the VHL trading process and helps people with GM aspirations on their way to realizing them.

:rig: RECEIVES

Jack Feriancek

S72 PRG 2nd (DeFenz Mann)

:dav: RECEIVES

Rights to Acyd Burn

Yes, this was a bit of a questionable move. Yes, for a rights deal, I paid a ton (I believe the rights to Smitty and Gritty went to Prague for a 3rd or something). Hedge actually asked me, after I made the offer, if I was aiming to compete, and I gave him a "not sure," which, at the time, I was pretty sure was the correct answer. I realized pretty soon after the fact that the only real way to attract a high-profile free agent like this was to make a run at competing, and that more or less set off just about everything else you're about to see below. Back to the actual trade, though--I was aiming to get Feriancek off of my roster because of concerns with roster space and ice time (both his and that of other players) after the draft hit, so at the time I really just looked at this as a 2nd for signing rights (though Feriancek was immediately flipped for a pair of 3rds, so I could have been smarter). In the end, all's well that ends well, and we got a signing. Outcome: I overpaid, but at least it worked out.

:mal: RECEIVES

S73 DAV 1st

Andrej Petrovic

Chico Smeb

Jerry Garcia

S73 RIG 2nd

S73 SEA 3rd

I was looking to make a major buy after Acyd said he'd sign with Davos, and this was my first move. I had asked another GM about the possibility of buying another top, aging defenseman (who shall remain nameless) prior to making this trade, and received a price that was much greater than this. So, working out this deal was great for me--I got to clear out a bit of roster space and even got some draft assets in return, and it doesn't exactly hurt that Garcia is my player and I could do what I wanted with him--in this case, switch him to forward and reroll to a scoring build. Outcome: pretty solid.

:que:RECEIVES

S72 TOR 1st (Gino DiGiannantonio)

S73 RIG 2nd

David OQuinn

S72 RIG 1st (Lucas Brandt)

At the time, I was pretty torn on this one. Beav was pestering me about the three picks at the top, and gave me a few offers for 1 and/or 2 that would have made even the casual observer's eyes pop had I accepted them, and I had to make it fairly clear that I wasn't planning on moving either of those. I was a bit more open to moving 4th overall, and had my eyes on a player or two who I thought would be there at 9, so when Beav started going for that pick instead, I was open to negotiation. Originally, I threw him a couple ridiculous offers which he was very right to decline, but eventually we settled upon this. I wouldn't have picked DiGiannantonio at 4th overall had I kept it, though I certainly can't fault Beav for going up to pick someone who had been maxing out before the draft, and I just wasn't positive that the players who were in the range of 4th overall were the right long-term moves for me based on position and such. OQuinn has been a solid contributor and is currently our second-highest-TPE defenseman, adding a valuable piece and a younger player immediately, while that 1st-rounder ended up being flipped later on. After Penny's banning from the league Discord, DiGiannantonio has dropped off strongly activity-wise, and I don't believe he plans on making a return to max earning. So, I'm inclined to say that this trade worked out reasonably well if it's looked at as "DiGiannantonio and a 2nd for OQuinn and a move down," but looking purely at the picks involved I'd call it just about even. Outcome: in my favor, but probably shouldn't have been.

:mos: RECEIVES

S72 RIG 1st (Lucas Brandt)

S72 DAV 3rd (Keith Krestanovich)

Vin Calia

S72 MOS 2nd (Jer Lefebvre)

S73 MOS 1st

S74 MOS 2nd

This one is difficult to judge because all of what was involved came in the form of picks and younger players. Calia has been great and is an undervalued prospect, and Moscow made a couple selections that (so far) are looking great. Meanwhile, Lefebvre has been coming along well, but the S74 pick is still a question mark and the S73 pick was moved in a later deal. My primary motivations for this were to clear up a bit of roster space by putting Calia on a team where he'd be able to pick up better ice time and possibly fit in more in a group with a less crowded prospect pool, as well as to shift a 1st into a later draft to give me more options if I wanted to start buying this season. Outcome: we'll see. Hard to tell now.

:que: RECEIVES

S73 PRG 2nd

S73 DAV 4th

S74 DAV 4th

Jerry Wang

With this trade, Davos managed to pick up both of the players in VHL history to ever be named Jerry. Enough of that, though, let's get to the value assessments and such. I wasn't targeting Cole specifically, but when Beav messaged me saying he needed to clear space asking if I was interested in someone who was very interested in playing for me, I figured he'd be a solid fit with the team. As a S68 player, he'll be around for a bit to come, and is active enough to be a proven commodity as a second-liner. To be honest, I'm not sure how helpful this trade was to me, but at least this wasn't a huge trade with unproven effectiveness. Outcome: I probably lose, but at least it's not too drastic.

:mos:RECEIVES

S73 MOS 1st

S74 DAV 3rd

Derek Eriksson

Michael Hall

Milos Slavik

:dav:RECEIVES

Jet Jaguar

Killy Foilen

S74 MOS 3rd

This trade is interesting because Victor's initial offer was more in my favor than what the trade ended up being after negotiation (some GM, right?). Roster and cap situations needed to be taken into account on my end, though, so something that began with the same backbone ended up with me giving up a bit more so I could make it work without having the cap police kick down my door. Still, though, I got the biggest star I've traded for yet in Jaguar, plus an underrated, consistent guy in Foilen. I probably ultimately won the back-and-forth with the MOS 1st, as I traded for it thinking it was a lower-first-round pick and traded it away thinking it was a higher one (which it likely will be). It seems to be a public-opinion tossup so far in the VSN trade review article, and I think that's fair to say at the moment. Moscow gets a couple fairly consistent prospects and a solid pick, and Davos gets immediate upgrades at forward. Outcome: Depends on whether or not I'm able to accomplish anything at all with Jaguar.

So, overall:

OTHER TEAMS RECEIVE

Derek Eriksson

Vin Calia

Michael Hall

Andrej Petrovic

Jack Feriancek

Chico Smeb

Milos Slavik

S72 TOR 1st (Gino DiGiannantonio)

S72 PRG 2nd (DeFenz Mann)

S72 DAV 3rd (Keith Krestanovich)

S73 MOS 1st

S73 DAV 1st

S73 PRG 2nd

S73 DAV 4th

S74 DAV 4th

Jet Jaguar

Acyd Burn

Jerry Garcia

David OQuinn

Killy Foilen

Jerry Wang

S72 MOS 2nd (Jer Lefebvre)

S73 SEA 3rd

S74 MOS 2nd

S74 MOS 3rd

So, hopefully, all of this put together doesn't make me look like an idiot. My brain doesn't work well enough that I'd be able to tell you whether or not it does. Anyway, that just about does it for this one. Hopefully this is more interesting than me just reading off my players' stats...and I'll see all of you whenever I'm done claiming this one!

1,578 words; good for three weeks.

11 minutes ago, Victor said:

When you have picks and prospects, you gotta make moves and you had a ton of those so all makes sense.

Better than giving up a 3rd for an inactive D. :P

No I'm not faulting the trade from your perspective, I'm faulting the Acyd rights deal in comparison 

Can I claim my doubles week for the current donation drive for this article? If so, consider this post that claim.

• 1 month later...

The claiming for this article got interrupted by my multi-claim bad boy for theme week.

So, claim 2/3 for this one.

Review

If an AGM was given a formal job, this should be it. Trade tracking is a bit hard to do. Dedicating one person to it could make it easier. Yes, I know you can go through each team and look through their trade history. It would be interesting to see who won out on some trades from the different perspectives. Trades are some of the most direct ways that a GM can influence a team. I wish more teams did this recap style article. I really liked the summaries of what you were thinking of when you made the different trades. The quick footnote at the end saying if you think you won or lost the trade is pretty neat to see as well. I would prefer if the titles of the trades were colour coded, with the winner being in green and the loser being in red. If you didn't know who won or lost, then you can keep it neutral. As you stated multiple times in some of the summaries, you said it was too early for you to say who won or lost on some trades. And I agree. Which is why maybe you should wait a season or two before you write a reflection like this. Especially when picks are being traded. The neat little summary at the end with all the collective trade assets thrown on both sides is a good addition. 

Scale
Content: 10/10
Flow: 10/10 
Format: 7/10

Really good idea I think everyone should do. Maybe add some TPA's next to the names of the players you traded and add some colour to titles. Can't wait to see more of these.