2020 Donation Drive

Quik

In Baltimore, I participated in peaceful protests and cleanup of the neighborhood my mother grew up in because it was also my community. I was born into privilege - into a house of learned doctors - who loved their communities where they spent their childhoods and completed medical residency in spite of all of the hateful things that were said about it. That was after sitting idly by after dozens of other wrongful African American deaths at the hands of law enforcement, because I thought I could use the excuses of being a 'model minority' and 'I'm too young to understand what's going on here.'

In D.C., I taught 4th grade students in the southeast district for a full year specifically because they were like the community I knew back home in Baltimore. These were kids that were as bright-eyed, enthusiastic, and wonderfully intelligent, but weighed down by factors beyond their control - parents both wrongfully and rightfully incarcerated, neglect, neighborhood gang violence, deaths of friends, and barriers to basic needs like transportation and housing. They were weighed down by a community where they feared being stopped by cops at nine years old. They were weighed down by a socioeconomic environment 100% dependent on free or reduced lunches at school, which was often their only reliable source of food. Five years later, I still visit my fourth graders - now rising high school sophomores - because they helped me understand what my calling was in life. These children - denied a chance to grow up in favor of a demand to, denied opportunity, denied peaceful nights of sleep - welcomed me into their home without so much as a second thought, even though I didn't look like any of them.

In Richmond, I have stood and protested. My neighbor's house was set on fire by those seeking to take advantage of the chaos. I cheered when the mayor said the statues of the Confederacy would be taken down. I panicked as I helped triage a handful of innocent, peaceful protesters of all skin colors, socioeconomic statuses, and political leanings in the field and in the emergency room because of injuries they sustained while fighting for what should be basic equality for all. I shuddered at night hearing gunshots around my neighborhood selfishly wondering if I was safe before those defying a curfew order that was violated three nights ago.

I'm not responsible for much of, if any of the good that comes out of these protests. But if there is any time to put our foot down and make our presence known as a community, it is now. Let's be on the right side of history - fighting for rights of those marginalized by a system that would see them put down without so much as a second thought.

image.png.86a8ad752327c78f1f3ab931bfff9763.png

1 hour ago, diamond_ace said:

If I can do two - and I don't want to push it, I know I'm fortunate to be in the position I'm in at the moment - it has been brought to my attention that @BigTittySmitty is also in a less than ideal place financially. I'll throw some benefits his way from my donation as well.

1 hour ago, Advantage said:

Not that i think it will be an issue.  I made another donation that @BigTittySmitty can claim off just in case.

Transaction ID: 20E39162X4486680A

In all honesty... I was going to write a long blurb about why and what's going on with me but that in my opinion defeats the purpose of why we are supporting such worthy causes. Compared to others I am lucky as hell. That is such an important lesson I believe so many of us need to remember no matter what happens. I am so glad to be a part of group of people who are willing to do this. 

Thank you

EDIT: Since you both were amazing and I can only "claim" one of your gifts on my behalf.. please if anyone can be blessed by a gift please share that with them. I don't want to double dip the chip ❤️ 

Edited by BigTittySmitty

Transaction ID: 9RG04525B2008363L

Happy to help to a good cause. This league has earned a lot of respect in my books. Good work everyone.

Confirmed. -sterling

I'm honored to have the privilege and fortune to be able to donate for a second time today, this time in the name of @Poptart! This privilege isn't something I take for granted, which is why I wanted to do more, this time for another member of the VHL. I don't think anyone can deny that Poptart is one of the most compassionate and caring members of this league and the sim league community, and I can't truly put how much I appreciate him into words. Donating once again so that Pop can claim the 5 uncapped TPE, and so that I can pay forward the love and help that Poptart gave me when I joined this league. So much love for you my friend ❤️

Transaction ID: 0M9539303A4968402

Confirmed. -sterling

2KF08852J6165743V

In principle I hate the fact that I need to bail out American people from the hands of the American government, but other than that I'm all about it. Wish I had more money just laying around so I could actually feel like I'm helping someone, but here you go. black lives matter 

Confirmed. -sterling