Being a Girl in the VHL

samx

What it has been like for me as a female in the vhl..

(Note this is just how it has been for me. Other females could very well feel differently.)

I found this league off a YouTube video of someone talking about it (I don’t remember who) and thought it would be interesting to try out for myself. I was very much so prepared to be one of the few girls in the league as most things like this are male dominated most of the time. At first I was quite hesitant on here and didn’t really tell anyone my gender because I was frankly afraid of how people would react. In the past I would be treated weirdly because I am not a man and it scared me that it would happen again. I didn’t want to be treated differently. I wanted to be viewed as just another person playing a game to pass time and meet new people.

As I got more comfortable in my first locker room (Yukon rush) I felt comfortable enough to tell the people in there.I finally told them I was in fact a female and explained to them why I didn’t say earlier and told them that I really do not want to be treated differently because of my gender because I was here for the same reason they were. That locker room to this day is still one of my favorites because they were so genuinely accepting and didn’t really care. It gave me the confidence to be more open of who I really am. They didn’t change how they acted (honestly they got weirder) instead they continued to be who they were beforehand. I was not treated differently and they really didn’t make me feel any different then one of them. So thank you to everyone in that locker room but special shoutout to: Ricer, Cow, Alex, Dylan, and LPOS for being genuinely great people.

As I got moved around I didn’t tell most of my other locker rooms because it didn’t feel right. I did tell one other one and they reacted the same way Yukon did. However, with a couple of the other locker rooms I’m in I’m not going to lie I haven’t because of the fact of being scared of reaction. There’s a part of me that feels like I already don’t fit in, in some locker rooms and me saying I am a girl would just make it more awkward. I already feel as though I’m so different from them just in a personality way that now adding that gender difference would only make it worse. Although this could very well just be me overthinking things to an extreme.

Generally for me being a female in the vhl has been a very welcoming experience. I haven’t really had negative feedback from the people I have told (which is everyone now) but more just the fear of negative feedback coming. Thank you to any and everyone who didn’t change how they acted when they found it because it makes me a whole lot more comfortable knowing that they aren’t going to change because of my gender and that I’m not holding back their personality because of that.

So I would like to say to anyone who reads this: please please please if you find out a user is the opposite gender please don’t treat them differently. We are all on here for the exact same reason and them being a different gender shouldn’t change how you act. I can’t speak for all females on the platform but to me I want you to act the exact same way. We are humans too.

word count: 616

The biggest strength of this league has been it's ability to recognize mistakes and change for the better. I'm glad to see that this has been a welcome place and that you can be yourself here. We may not be perfect, but we always try to do the right thing and try to treat members like family. I hope you stay around for a long time to come! 

@Brewins15

Wow. Really awesome to read this and see that your overall experience has been a positive one. I appreciate you being open and honest with your locker rooms, as well as with the community. It does take a lot of courage, as you’ve expressed with your words in your post, so thank you for doing so. 

If you ever need a hand or anything, feel free to drop me a message. Other than that, best wishes to you on this awesome league and I hope it only continues to be positive. :) 

Great article Mickey! I’m glad you felt welcomed in Yukon and that you’ve stuck with this league! This is a good topic to shed light on because women shouldn’t ever be afraid to be apart of something that is mostly a male population. 

1 minute ago, Banackock said:

Also, good work @MexicanCow123 @Alex Bridges. You guys have done very well. Continue the excellent work! Good stuff boys!! 

Thanks Bana! You are one of the reason I am the way I am today so thank you! ❤️

6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

@Brewins15

Wow. Really awesome to read this and see that your overall experience has been a positive one. I appreciate you being open and honest with your locker rooms, as well as with the community. It does take a lot of courage, as you’ve expressed with your words in your post, so thank you for doing so. 

If you ever need a hand or anything, feel free to drop me a message. Other than that, best wishes to you on this awesome league and I hope it only continues to be positive. :) 

Thank you I really appreciate it!

15 minutes ago, DoktorFunk said:

The biggest strength of this league has been it's ability to recognize mistakes and change for the better. I'm glad to see that this has been a welcome place and that you can be yourself here. We may not be perfect, but we always try to do the right thing and try to treat members like family. I hope you stay around for a long time to come! 

Thank you so much. I think this hits the point very well. Could not of said it better myself.

Obviously we discussed this in private a bit. This is really good insight into how the league tries to be towards everyone. We had a really good chat today and I think you fit into this league really well. It's not easy to come into anything that's so male dominated and express what you have today and I applaud you for that. The league as a whole has shifted and while we aren't perfect (me especially/included) we are working to get as close as we can.

I've now been lucky to have you on my team as a player, hopefully we can bring home the cup later on this season with your help!

If you ever have an interest in the management side of things I would implore you to go for it! 

Glad you are enjoying the league. I'm sorry that there are degenerate men online who may make you feel uncomfortable revealing your gender.

Unfortunately, I am one of those degenerates but nevertheless I hope you continue enjoying your time on VHL so I will take my leave from this thread.

• Admin

We have a pretty long history of females here - not many but over a pretty long period of time there's usually been 1 or 2 around in most seasons. It's always been a source of pride for me that the other members here are not fucking animals and I don't recall many incidents over the many years which would suggest otherwise.

So I suppose I'm glad that hasn't changed and I hope you continue enjoying your time in the VHL. If anything does come up, please don't hesitate to reach out - we take any incidents which impede members' enjoyment of the league very seriously.

8 minutes ago, Rayzor_7 said:

Obviously we discussed this in private a bit. This is really good insight into how the league tries to be towards everyone. We had a really good chat today and I think you fit into this league really well. It's not easy to come into anything that's so male dominated and express what you have today and I applaud you for that. The league as a whole has shifted and while we aren't perfect (me especially/included) we are working to get as close as we can.

I've now been lucky to have you on my team as a player, hopefully we can bring home the cup later on this season with your help!

If you ever have an interest in the management side of things I would implore you to go for it! 

Our talk today was great. I have seen in this league both sides. (Majority good) which is incredible to see. I don't ask perfection because we are all human and mess up sometimes. I think it was important for someone to say it at some. I do see the league making huge changes and strides into accepting all genders and I see that in hockey generally and it's amazing to see. Also thank you. I've been trying to get into management just haven't been picked yet lol.

34 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

Great article Mickey! I’m glad you felt welcomed in Yukon and that you’ve stuck with this league! This is a good topic to shed light on because women shouldn’t ever be afraid to be apart of something that is mostly a male population. 

Thank you!! You have been amazing to me!! Besides attacking me for what team i support?. I really don't know where my player would be if I didn't constantly ask you what im suppose to be doing!

1 minute ago, Brewins15 said:

Thank you!! You have been amazing to me!! Besides attacking me for what team i support?. I really don't know where my player would be if I didn't constantly ask you what im suppose to be doing!

Us Canucks fans are just sour about losing out to you guys in the finals many years ago. It’s only natural we gives bruins fans a little grief lol. 

16 minutes ago, Victor said:

We have a pretty long history of females here - not many but over a pretty long period of time there's usually been 1 or 2 around in most seasons. It's always been a source of pride for me that the other members here are not fucking animals and I don't recall many incidents over the many years which would suggest otherwise.

So I suppose I'm glad that hasn't changed and I hope you continue enjoying your time in the VHL. If anything does come up, please don't hesitate to reach out - we take any incidents which impede members' enjoyment of the league very seriously.

Im so glad to hear this. Im newer to this leauge so it is nice to know that there haven't been many incidents in the past. Im glad you guys take it seriously because everyone should be able to enjoy the league.

I’m in the middle of a family vigil at the moment. I just wanted to give some words on this article. I think this is so amazing to read and I’m glad you’ve felt comfortable enough to share that information. Continue being awesome!!!

Edited by fonziGG

Just now, fonziGG said:

I’m in the middle of a family thing at the moment. I just wanted to give some words on this article. I think this is so amazing to read and I’m glad you’ve felt comfortable enough to share that information. Continue being awesome!!!

Thank you! I appreciate it alot.

People are actually cool to women on sim leagues. I've never felt that I was treated differently because of that. I've been around for a while and a lot of people know that I'm a woman by now but I don't really feel the need to correct every time. Females don't exist on the internet, right? And I do like being one of the dudes and the bros.

This has nothing to do with other online games where people just become horrible the minute they learn you're a chick. I hope you continue to have fun and try out other sim leagues because people are just as nice on pretty much all of them.

9 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

People are actually cool to women on sim leagues. I've never felt that I was treated differently because of that. I've been around for a while and a lot of people know that I'm a woman by now but I don't really feel the need to correct every time. Females don't exist on the internet, right? And I do like being one of the dudes and the bros.

This has nothing to do with other online games where people just become horrible the minute they learn you're a chick. I hope you continue to have fun and try out other sim leagues because people are just as nice on pretty much all of them.

I understand this. I just do think it's important for people to know because there have been a couple of cases where people have acted different and I just don't think there's a need. Though a majority are good some can be a little weird. It's not directed at those who are normal.

1 hour ago, DoktorFunk said:

This is something that really hits home for me and is something similar to what Elmabeck talked to me about when I was brand new here.  I agree that the league is a better place than when i started like 8ish months ago

24 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

As a WoW guild leader a huge peeve of mine, that thankfully I haven't had to deal with much, is when that is revealed and someone starts acting totally different towards them.

1 hour ago, Ricer13 said:

Us Canucks fans 

frustrated clint eastwood GIF