VHL Mod Team - Openings

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Good afternoon VHL,

In light of recent events, the VHL Mod team will be introducing several openings to assist in the moderation of both the forum and discord.

Pay: 2 TPE

The ideal individual should posses the following traits:

1) Availability to monitor forums/discord for at least 8 hours a day (Please note in application your most active hours)

2) Be able to respond to discord pings and be verified via 2fa.

3) Older than 20 years (anything below this will require exceptional reasoning) 

4) Not hold other league jobs or be associations that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 

Additional things you may add for consideration:

- Availability of hours between the times of 1am and 9am MST wanted.

- Moderation experience and ability 

- Human resource experience and/or classes/training taken

- Any additional reasons why you would be make an appropriate mod.

- Ability to deal with context of situations

Please keep the thread to applications only, unrelated posts will be deleted. If you believe you fall under certain exceptions to certain stipulations here, you are encouraged to apply, however you will need to include reasoning as to why this stipulation will not impede your duties.

Questions and Answers:

Good lord you're asking for moderators to make this a full time job. A tad unrealistic for someone like me who can't be around for eight hours a day just to moderate a forum and a Discord. 

Legitimate question:

This job is not glamorous nor is it easy, it is for those that have the time and ability to put in the effort that is required and are willing to make the sacrifice to make this community an inclusive and safe space for everyone.

I read it as: you're not working or sleeping for 8 hours, during which you would be available to intervene if something happens and you're tagged.

Not as: you need to meticulously read through every post on the forum and Discord for 8 hours.

Legitimate Question:

You are not expected to read every single forum/chat post.

You are expected to be able to monitor reasonably during these times. (ie having a second monitor open with the chat function, looking in every so often during reasonable time period, look through new posts within reason).

People can do that without turning into a machine and having to watch for inappropriate actions for eight hours a day. Instead of looking like that, it would be easier to say 'willing to moderate when present'. You're not going to run into a lot of good candidates if you're looking for someone who's constantly around; sure it's not glamorous or easy, but it's certainly not a job nor worth 2 TPE based on your expectations. 

Personally a better route (in my honest opinion) would be to offer moderation to those who are trusted and see if they accept, then I'd make a post about hiring more if the occasion arises that they are needed. Some people are on at different times, different availability, and you've practically alienated anyone who is working through COVID. It's more about coverage and not duration.

Legitimate Question:

Thank you for your questions. You are right, I am looking for basically incredibly high expectations to start. If a lack of candidates should be proposed, I will consider those that may only fulfill certain stipulations. If you feel you fit all other requirements aside from the hours available, I encourage you to apply in the case I move to alternative requirements postings if a lack of fit candidates are presented.

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I wanna apply, but those are some very harsh requirements. You're asking for someone to work a full-time job for 2 internet points.

Legit concern:

As echoed by what Peace said, yes I am. If you are with me, the idea is we're doing this for the community, not for some video game and certainly not because its worth 2 internet points.

Edited by tfong

I just want to put my name out there and say I'm interested. I likely won't get it but I want my name to be out there as a guy who might be into management. I am actively looking through the Discord from 11:00 am - 3:00 am est. I don't really have any moderation experience, but that is why I want to apply. To grow as a person and learn. I just wanted to put my name out there! Thanks!

5 minutes ago, McWolf said:

I read it as: you're not working or sleeping for 8 hours, during which you would be available to intervene if something happens and you're tagged.

Not as: you need to meticulously read through every post on the forum and Discord for 8 hours.

That would make sense as if a report comes in to review or a tag on discord when things get spicy.

1 minute ago, tfong said:

Legitimate Question:

You are not expected to read every single forum/chat post.

You are expected to be able to monitor reasonably during these times. (ie having a second monitor open with the chat function, looking in every so often during reasonable time period, look through new posts within reason).

If using based on reported threads OR tags on discord then that's different where it is easy to review and not be glued 8 hours a day. Not every post can be looked through by the team in my opinion so I would run it off tag/reports. Then that would be different imo. 

Hell... I've done modding on social media platforms for games and got paid much more than this.. Still makes me sad

Going to apply anyways because I believe that a good moderator has the ability to overcome potential conflicts of interests by remaining committed to the requirements of a position.

1. I usually have Discord open on some device or the other from the time I wake up (around 8:30 AM) to when I usually go to sleep (around 3 AM). Although not quite within your specified time range, I have some overlaps, and am usually up later on weekends.

2. Always on idle, and am already verified via 2FA

3. I am 20 years old 

4. See my opening statement. While I am a VHLM GM, the rules and expectations of the Discord server and our code of conduct are more important than personal benefits to myself, my team, or my players.

Regarding HR/training taken, I'd be glad to share the details with you in a PM, but I work in a supervisory manner for my university and work with undergraduate students and buildings, so I've taken a decent amount of training there, and have now 2+ years of experience with college-aged people. Have also taught martial arts to K-12 students for 3 years, so I can typically handle the young bucks like @Alex Bridges. Lastly, in terms of pure Discord moderation, I've been the head mod of a Madden discord server with over 1k folks (as @Lefty_S can attest to), and have moderated various other discord servers with 100+ people in it as well. Cheers!

48 minutes ago, tfong said:

Good afternoon VHL,

In light of recent events, the VHL Mod team will be introducing several openings to assist in the moderation of both the forum and discord.

1) Availability to monitor forums/discord for at least 8 hours a day (Please note in application your most active hours) I have discord open during work hours at my office, after work when I am on my computer.  This is at least 8-10 hours, if not longer, per day.

2) Be able to respond to discord pings and be verified via 2fa. Phone, computer, carrier pigeon, got it covered.

3) Older than 20 years (anything below this will require exceptional reasoning)  1.6 x 

4) Not hold other league jobs or be associations that may pose a conflict of interest NO BECAUSE I HAVENT BEEN HIRED YET

- Availability of hours between the times of 1am and 9am wanted. Potentially, what time zone are we talking here (I am central time).  Historically I am awake usually around 5-6am so can somewhat be applicable for this from the get-go.

- Moderation experience and ability  Previous commissioner in now defunct league (MSFL reppp)

- Human resource experience and/or classes/training taken I work in sales, half my job is customer service-oriented

- Any additional reasons why you would be make an appropriate mod. People respect me, I do not pick sides, keep a cool head, went to college.

- Ability to deal with context of situations Lived in a fraternity with 100+ people that lived in the same house (vice president my 2nd year in house)

Please keep the thread to applications only, unrelated posts will be deleted. If you believe you fall under certain exceptions to certain stipulations here, you are encouraged to apply, however you will need to include reasoning as to why this stipulation will not impede your duties.

Did I do this right?  Like if so.

Tfong: Added MST as timezone.

Edited by tfong

45 minutes ago, tfong said:

Good afternoon VHL,

1) Availability to monitor forums/discord for at least 8 hours a day (Please note in application your most active hours)

4) Not hold other league jobs or be associations that may pose a conflict of interest

- Availability of hours between the times of 1am and 9am wanted.

- Moderation experience and ability 

- Human resource experience and/or classes/training taken

- Any additional reasons why you would be make an appropriate mod.

Please keep the thread to applications only, unrelated posts will be deleted.

1) I'm on throughout the workday from ~8am-6pm EST, then on and off throughout the evening and weekends.

2) I haven't yet set up 2FA, but I can do it if needed.

3) I'm 32 years old.

4) I Hold no other league jobs.

I work in higher education and have done extensive training on fostering diverse communities. I know that when I first joined the league, I quickly stopped looking too closely at the Discord because the environment was pretty unwelcoming and nearly made me leave the league before being drafted. Luckily, my team's discord was a much different environment where I have settled in and am now really enjoying the VHL(M). I also moderate a couple of subreddits, including one in the past that was also a sport sim league for F1.

Just wanted to pop in and say awesome to those who are applying. I realize the job requirements seem a little harsh, but in general we'll obviously be willing to work with the right candidates about what approach works. What exactly the role requires I'm sure will evolve as the Discord and community respond. Important to remember that a step in the right direction still puts us on the path to take more steps as needed. 

Anyway, mod team.....

vEesFoLDTg8LErAZITvdL2nAGkvPGgVD5YESszvz

Obviously time is an issue for me - but I think we'll want multiple moderators for adequate supervision of the Discord anyways.

1) Availability - I'm currently not on hospital service frequently and am able to be on/around Discord at least a dozen hours per day. More relevantly, once back on service I'll be available in the evening and early morning most frequently, i.e. 5 AM-8 AM and 7 PM-12 AM.

2) Check and check! Just verified my Discord 2fa today.

3) Staff already knows my age, and I'm well over 20.

4) No jobs here!

Other Factors:

As noted previously, I cover a small portion of 1A-9A MST but certainly not all of it.

Limited moderation experience; primarily through forums when I was much younger.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as HR experience, but I taught a 4th-grade classroom for a full year, as well as >500 students across 24 different sections between two semesters at the collegiate level. I also regularly have to mediate parental and patient concerns in the context of my current and future vocation.

I'll apply. Since I've joined the discord I've been very active, and I respond immediately to pings. My most active hours would be probably 3pm - 5am EST, yes, I am a nighthawk.

I turn 20 in 53 days. I have 2fa already.

I have been an admin in The Strokes unofficial discord for almost 2 years (https://discord.gg/hGDXKT) which in it's heyday was over 1000 members, but some owner drama and pruning later we are now around 400. Also I run an ongoing Eastside Hockey Manager league through discord, and oh boy, you need problem solving skills for that.

PM me on discord with any other questions or concerns. dlamb#5469

I apply.

I already have extensive experience moderating the VHL discord, as I successfully conducted the Squidward discord prank on April 1st 2020. Additionally, I dramatically improved morale on VHL discord on April 2nd 2020, when I used my moderator powers to ban Dil and Nyko from the server. Elect me as your moderator and I promise more of the same. My motto, “Make Dil Banned Again.”

Edited by ContinentalCup036

I will apply.

I have held an insane amount of positions in this league but currently don't.

I have been around forever and I am constantly around my phone since I literally use it for work so I always have the time to check in on discord.  My optimal hours are between 7 pm and 2 am but I can also check a fair bit from around 10 am to 7 pm as well.

I fit all the requirements listed and I know I can be someone you can rely on as I have been an administrator in several leagues and feel that my experience will have prepared me for everything here.

I have always been an active viewer of discord even if I dont post a lot and I feel this would be a job that I am more than capable of performing.

You know how I am and how I deal with people.  I'm generally pretty professional and try to hold myself to it given my position on the Board of Governors.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

@tfong

Edited by Advantage

I'd encourage you to look at someone without a job before looking at me (seems like that's what you're doing anyway), but count me in as interested if you're looking for options outside of that field as well. I assume you know me well enough that I wouldn't really be adding much if I answered your questions, but here you go:

1) I'm definitely around quite a bit. Most nights I'm in bed by your specified degen hours but I'm certainly around quite a bit outside of that.

2) I'm pretty reachable. Don't have 2fa at the moment but have no issue with setting it up if necessary.

3) I'll be 20 in just over a month, though I hope that my contributions to discussion around the league have shown that I'm capable of acting maturely and fairly when I need to.

4) Well, let's just say that I hope I'm an exception. I'm not quite sure what about being a GM would cause me to act unfairly (if there is something, I'd be interested in hearing it), but as stated above, I personally believe that I'm able to act objectively.

As far as any bonuses go, the only thing really in my favor is the fact that I've successfully built and run two pretty solid team Discords. I've only ever had to enforce rules or guidelines in there a few times, but I have done so when I deemed it to be necessary.

Although you are likely to go with other candidates, I might aswell give it a shot because you never know:

8 hours is light work. I'm on discord and the forums through out the day. This is evident based on how much I post and my rank on the discord leaderboard. My hours are usually 8am - 11pm PST, and I'm most active between the hours of 10am and 7pm.

I have 2fa active on my discord account, and I respond and/or read every ping I get on discord (some pings are random things that don't require responses). I read all my DM's and respond to them in a timely manner anyways, and would do even more in a moderator position.

I am not 20 years old. I am about to be 18, but I believe my experience as moderator not only in other places, but the VHL discord sets me apart. (More on this below)

4) Not hold other league jobs or be associations that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 

VHLM GM - As a VHLM GM, I can see how you may think there is a conflict of interest as some of the people being punished may be members of my team, but I can assure you I can and will be completely impartial.

Developer - This position has no conflict of interest, as all I do is type things and see what they do on my screen.

Recruitment Team - As a member of the VHL Recruitment Team it is my job to make new members feel welcome and provide a safe environment. In my humble-pickle-opinion I think that moderation goes hand-in-hand with that. Recruitment Team used to be one of the roles who was given discord moderation permissions in my first run as a member of the team, and I think I did a great job.

As mentioned above, I have experience as a moderator on the VHL discord. On two seperate occasions I was given the moderator role to help police the discord. The first time, was my first run with the Recruitment Team, and is when I handeled the Doug situtation on discord when no other mods were online to assist. I think I did an excellent job handing out that ban by gathering sufficient evidence and alerting commisioners through DM while I was doing so. I then resigned from the recruitment team, and was given moderator again when I asked Tfong if I could help police the discord again, seeing I did a great job the last time I had permissions. My permissions were removed along with others when Will decided against people without staff roles having moderator permissions at the time, understandably.

I write this application to once again hopefully be allowed to help moderator discord. I think I've done an excellent job in the past and believe I can be a great help with my experience and VHL activity. I understand you may have doubts with me being "Dil", but over the last while I have tried to "be better". Most, if not all, my mutes lately are troll mutes from the likes of Quik, and I try my best to steer clear of drama.

I hope you consider my application, so that I can once again patrol the discord streets.

Edited by Dil

4 hours ago, Renomitsu said:

Obviously time is an issue for me - but I think we'll want multiple moderators for adequate supervision of the Discord anyways.

1) Availability - I'm currently not on hospital service frequently and am able to be on/around Discord at least a dozen hours per day. More relevantly, once back on service I'll be available in the evening and early morning most frequently, i.e. 5 AM-8 AM and 7 PM-12 AM.

2) Check and check! Just verified my Discord 2fa today.

3) Staff already knows my age, and I'm well over 20.

4) No jobs here!

Other Factors:

As noted previously, I cover a small portion of 1A-9A MST but certainly not all of it.

Limited moderation experience; primarily through forums when I was much younger.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as HR experience, but I taught a 4th-grade classroom for a full year, as well as >500 students across 24 different sections between two semesters at the collegiate level. I also regularly have to mediate parental and patient concerns in the context of my current and future vocation.

I can think of no better person I want making sure our community is staying friendly and positive :) I'm sure you don't need my opinion on this but I'm giving it anyway!

I 100% won’t get it, but I’d love to get some extra TP for something that is easy for me. I’m on discord from the morning 8 AM PST to around 11 Pm PST, basically all waking hours I am on the discord. I am under 20, but I think if u ask anyone, I’m pretty responsible for my age so hope that I won’t be not chosen because I’m under 20

1) I'm on the discord more than is probably healthy and I don't currently have a job, so being available for 8 hours a day seems doable. Active hours vary wildly, but usually 7 PM - 6 AM MST on weekdays.

2) I've been verified on discord for a while now, and my phone notifies me of pings. Good to go there.

3) This is the only area where I don't qualify, as I am 18. However, in my time on this site I have never been involved in a controversy and have good intentions.

4) Nope. Never even applied for a job before, actually. 

13 hours ago, Advantage said:

I will apply.

I have held an insane amount of positions in this league but currently don't.

I have been around forever and I am constantly around my phone since I literally use it for work so I always have the time to check in on discord.  My optimal hours are between 7 pm and 2 am but I can also check a fair bit from around 10 am to 7 pm as well.

I fit all the requirements listed and I know I can be someone you can rely on as I have been an administrator in several leagues and feel that my experience will have prepared me for everything here.

I have always been an active viewer of discord even if I dont post a lot and I feel this would be a job that I am more than capable of performing.

You know how I am and how I deal with people.  I'm generally pretty professional and try to hold myself to it given my position on the Board of Governors.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

@tfong

I'm actually going to withdraw.

I'm going to learn from the past and not burn myself out and there's a lot of good candidates here.

Edited by Advantage

• Baozi locked this topic
  • Head Moderator

Thank you to all the applicants, I want to point out that the requirements and such are indeed high while the compensation isn't so I do want to point out a special thanks to all those that were willing to put forth themselves to do the extra work for the community for essentially peanuts.

The MOD team has chosen at this time to add  @Renomitsu and @frescoelmo to the team.

Given that there were a number of worthy candidates available, it is unfortunate at this time we only have the two openings available so I invite you to inquire to me directly if you want feedback on your application. 

• Beaviss unfeatured this topic