A very Barzy Sit Down with Liam Flaten

BarzalGoat

*The crowd gathers, the ink pen is wetted, and the writer finally takes a seat. All gather around their computers across the VHL-globe in anticipation of the Barzy once-a-season media spot*

An Author's Note

This media spot will be a little different from the other ones you read, due in part to the particular writing style I try my best to employ, and in part due to the nature of this media spot on being about not me. Now some of you not-so-old timers and not-so-new timers might remember when (mostly Cole) and I spearheaded the VHLM newspaper where I took a little bit of pride in works similar to what you'll see here, but for the rest of you, please sit back and enjoy what is to be, an all over the place enjoyable 500 words about VHLM prospect and first generation player, Liam Flaten.

A Player Background

As you should have read in the author's note, and the title, this media spot is about none other than my once Reaper, soon to be Dragon's teammate Liam Flaten @flatl99 ! Liam was a free agent who joined the Dragon's season last year very early on, and did a great job helping lead DC to a 4th place finish overall in the M. While the season has a rather unfulfilling conclusion, with a first round upset, it was still invaluable experience to Flaten, who got to make a great impression on the league in his first VHLM season. He followed this up in the VHLM entry draft by being taken 13th overall by the Minnesota Storm, and in the VHL draft by being taken 16th overall by the DC Dragons. What many might not see from looking directly at his player page, is how quickly Liam has taken to the regular motions of the VHL. While a lot of players might jump in as a welfare player, or as a media spots only guy, Liam has taken to making some pretty nifty graphics. Go check out his page to see them, some great work over there. Liam is aiming to be a scoring defenseman based off of his high offensive TPE allocations, and sitting at the #4 defenseman in points position, it seems like his strategy is working pretty well. 

The Q&A

Barzy: Hi Liam, thanks for sitting down with me. How are you enjoying your 2nd year in the M? It's exciting to get drafted to the big club, but not everyone makes the leap right away, what are you going to take advantage of in this extra season to make your rookie campaign next year extra special?

Liam: I am really enjoying my 2nd season, I was drafted onto a very competitive team, so we have been having a lot of fun. It has been fun to play personally because I have been seeing a lot of success this season. It has been great to feel like I have been contributing to the team's success every game.

B: You're now onto your 2nd VHLM team in as many seasons, how would you compare and contrast your time spent in Philly to your season so far in Philly?

L: My time in Philly was great, but I was definitely new and a little bit nervous about how everything worked, so my time in Minny this year has been a lot of fun, I know my way around and feel way more comfortable. I am proud to be an assistant captain for the team this year as well. The lockerroom in both cities was amazing though, and the management teams.

B: Any special locker room people in any of the three locker rooms that you were in? Who has been the biggest influence to this point for your young VHL career?

L: Yeah, honestly for me it has been the management team in both lockerooms have been really helpful and influential. Dmax was great for me coming into the league and Rayz and Hatter have been really great to me this season. I really love Hatter's enthusiasm and we like the same music so that's sick.

B: How would you rate the VHL experience as a new player about to enter the big league for the first time? Any changes, large or small, that you'd like to propose here?

L: As a new player, to both the VHL and simulation leagues, it was definitely hard at first to comprehend everything that was happening, so my one suggestion would be to try and make a tutorial or something like that at the very beginning. I have thouroughly enjoyed my time in the VHL world though!