My First 24 (A Thank You to the League)

IamMOOSE

OVERVIEW

It’s been over 24-hours since I joined the Victor Hockey League (VHL) and I’ve since seen my player sign into the VHLM (minors). Today I wanted to peal back the curtain and talk more about the experience as a new player and the community at large for what has been a wonderful start to play in this league.

JOINING THE LEAGUE

I first stumbled on VHL through Reddit, and specifically the r/EANHLfranchise subreddit where the recruitment was posted. I was hesitant, never having played a hockey simulation league before but figured I’d give it a shot. From there I got my email verification and began sifting through the mountain of information that comes with joining the league (a task I’m still going through as this is being written). From there I created my player, Kevin King, a Center from Detroit, MI, United States and began working on the TPE for said player. I did all this pretty solo, not sure how quickly to get integrated into the community on here. What if I didn’t care for this? What if I wasn’t any good at it? Finally though, I read through the signings and other guidelines and reluctantly joined the Discord. This was the best move I could’ve made. If I had any advise for commissioners on things to tell new players, it’s joining Discord and interacting with the very helpful community.

OFFERS AND THE FRIENDLY GM CORE

I first received an offer from @DMaximus of the Philadelphia Reapers. Then offers from Las Vegas and San Diego respectively, along with some well wishes from @Banackock & @Rayzor_7 who just came to welcome a new player. And that was the sense I got from this league as a whole. Over the next 12-hours I spoke with each GM who offered me a deal and was taken back by the help and sincerity of everyone I spoke to. @Viperxhawks19 was amazing in his responsiveness and willingness to continue to help me ease into the league, even after my decision to sign with the Las Vegas Aces, joining @Spartan who spent an hour my first night helping me navigate everything before I had even signed with the team.

COMMUNITY

After signing with Las Vegas, I was then ushered to the Lockeroom where I got to meet more teammates and my education on how to do things in the VHL continued. I’ve learned and been walked through so many things in such a short time but have never felt out of place among the community. I wanted to take this time to do write this, not just to fulfill an article, media spot, theme week, or whatever, but to really give thanks to some amazing people who helped make this first step much easier than it would’ve originally been. Since my signing I’ve had the chance to be apart of some constructive VHL related conversations and some downright odd chats. For my one and likely only fluff piece, thank you DMaximus, Banackock, Rayzor, Spartan, Viper, @Poptart, and anyone I may have missed for being apart of my first 24-hour journey through the VHL/VHLM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claiming for Theme Week