Leadership (Captaincy is the Answer)

IamMOOSE

Why LEADERSHIP Needs a Rework

It is with great disappointment that I’ve come to the realization that Leadership as an attribute in VHL/VHLM play is a pointless stat. After reading several guides, going through comments, and player comments I decided that this needs to be an article (probably already is but my turn). A direct quote on Leadership from the Gustav Mattias (Gustav’s Guide to Building 2/2),

Leadership: Arguably the most worthless one on the board. There are but a few who think leadership does anything at all. Theoretically, it will help your team's morale and make them more consistent, but you'd need everyone strongly upgrading leadership for this to make any sort of difference. It's just not worth it.”

Though I sympathize with how likely difficult it is incorporate Leadership into a game-by-game sim engine, it is a shame to see such a valuable intangible in sports devalued for any reason. There is a literal award/trophy in every sport to recognize exceptional leadership from a player, captain, or otherwise.

Captain Based Leadership

I won’t pretend to know anything about the sim engine, or how it works. The more I learn about it the less I understand it. So, let’s move away from the sim engine slowly, backing up while only slightly pushing your less athletic friend forward. Instead we’ll focus on captains and TPE. The simple fix for Leadership is a captain based TPE reward structure for teams.

How Would This Work?

We begin with the general rule in hockey when it comes to leadership on-ice. Three Captaincies. 1 Captain and 2 Alternates or 3 Alternates if you haven’t named a Captain. So, obviously beginning with a new season each GM would submit their choices for Captains, this can also be achieved through adding a (C)/“C” or (A)/“A” to a player through a roster page of some sort. The purpose of this is to establish your Captains’ Leadership Base, meaning the total sum of those three players’ Leadership. You then divide this by 3 (representing each player) to get your base average. This average will be the benchmark for your team’s Leadership during the season. There would be 4 Leadership checks throughout a calendar season, 1st at the start of the regular season, the 2nd at the midseason marker, the 3rd at the end of the regular season, and a 4th that only includes playoff qualifying teams.

Leadership checks would be conducted by the GMs of each team, submitting their Leadership check as a Capped TPE for Leadership and would grant each player on the team TPE based on the check and score for the check.

Season Start

Greater than 50: +1 TPE for each player on the Team

Greater than 60: +2 TPE for each player on the Team

Greater than 75: +3 TPE for each player on the Team

Mid-Season

End of Regular Season

End of Playoffs

Runner-Up: +1 for each player on the Team

Cup Champions: +2 TPE for each player on the Team

Maximum Season Earnings: 14 TPE (= 75+ Leadership Average Entire Season + Cup Champions)

Season Award (Should be Named After a League Great) for Leadership: +2 TPE for that player

Author Notes

This may not be the most polished idea ever set to page in the VHL/VHLM but I want us to start a conversation about some things that made with a little work could be implemented down the line. We have to pay respect to those that put so much time and effort into putting the league together, that doesn’t mean your ideas should go unheard. It’s the flow of ideas that keeps communities like these going. If you have any suggestions, edits, or maybe some ideas of your own for Leadership reworks or any other skill, feel free to comment here or go get those Article TPE points. I will be working on a few other skill work ideas in the future.

Good idea @Kevin King, just one thing. Many new players don't have that much TPE, and even older players might not really feel the need to spend 45+ TPE to only have a low chance at 14 TPE a year, and that's with everyone else on their team spending 45+ TPE to do that, AND win the championship. In the M, many players are on teams, but inactive, so in the VHLM it would be very hard to get the rewards from it. So I think it's a good idea, but it may not garner too much support because of previously stated things. Don't take this the hard way, I think it's a good idea. Mighta misread, too.

Edited by GrittyIsKing09