Health and Fitness Thread

Advantage

I feel like we have had a thread like this before but I didn't feel like resurrecting an old thread, and more than ever this is something I'm focusing on, so I felt like making this.

These threads are usually pretty popular so feel free to share any updates, tips, recipes, workouts, etc...whatever you guys want that relates.  Whether you are here to motivate, be motivated, look for new ideas or post your incredible results, everyone is welcome here in what I hope will stay a judgment-free environment.

I'll keep my story for the next post and not crowd it in the OP.

So where do I begin...

Well, as some of you may know, I have battled my weight for quite some time.  I used to play hockey, baseball and tennis in high school and was fairly athletic despite never being a smaller kid.  I went to University sitting at a weight of 250 lbs and was feeling far better about myself then as while I wasn't small, I had a fair bit of muscle on me as well.  University resulted in a nasty pop habit and a consistently up and down lifestyle.  One minute I would be focused on hitting the gym and another minute I would be ordering 2 lbs of wings and drinking energy drinks to get me through a cram session or while finishing off an assignment.  Ultimately, I finished out that year fulfilling the freshman fifteen and then some....as I ended my first year of University around 300 lbs.  

These habits wouldn't change over the next few years...and fast forward nine years later and I weighed in at 425....which as a 6"0 foot guy is something I never thought I would do.  One morning I wasn't feeling so great and I went to the hospital which led to a conversation about a fatty liver and the discussion that I always dreaded having..."You need to lose weight or there is a good chance you will see an early death."  Now I don't know if this was partially scare tactics...but I knew this was ultimately true but I always felt I was invincible.  Regardless of their intentions, it most certainly worked.  This scare happened on February 15th, 2020 and since then I have undergone a complete transformation for how I live my life.

So...here is a list of things that has happened since then:

* Currently Weigh 387 lbs (-38.0)

* Trying to average around 2000-3000 ml of water per day

* Have been avoiding things like pop (one can in the last few months and didn't really enjoy it)

* Diet is mainly Fruits, Veggies, Lean Proteins (Chicken, Fish, Leaner Red Meats).  I do try and balance out my food groups in by working in limited grains, dairy, etc.

* Joined Weight Watchers three weeks ago and have maintained my healthy eating zone every single day since joining

* Purchased some Bose earbuds and a Fitbit Versa 2 to help motivate me to be more active

* Down two sizes in shirts and feeling a lot better mentally and physically

* Girlfriend is down about 25 lbs since mid-February as well (she wanted to support me and join in to help)

Biggest thing I need to work on is certainly exercising.  I feel that now that I have my eating and drinking down, that it is time to start working in more exercise while maintaining that healthy eating lifestyle.  Generally when I work I manage anywhere from 5000-7000 steps in a day so to maintain a 8000+ step trend consistently, I need to start figuring out ways to get off my ass when I am home.  

Covid doesn't help but the girlfriend and I plan on doing things like Golfing, Tennis and perhaps some water activities like Kayaking and Paddle-boarding this summer.  I would buy a bike or rollerblades but they have been sold out everywhere here.

So yeah...that's basically where I am at.  I definitely am cooking more now that I have Weight Watchers as some of the recipes are awesome there and I love the balancing act of fitting within a certain range of points.

So how is everyone else doing?

Edited by Advantage

I'll join this. Good on you, @Advantage

Here are some things about me: 

- I currently weigh 320 pounds on the bathroom scale.

- I drink about four to five litres of water every day. 

- I have not been avoiding unhealthy sugars like pop, candy, and what not -- that changes now. 

- Diet is sporadic, honestly. I won't eat for a day and a half, but then I'll overeat whenever I do have a meal. 

- Started exercising (pictures below) by doing things I enjoy more. 

- My father is helping me stay motivated by providing fishing lessons and rides, he is a pro fly fisherman so hey! 

- I recently gained a size of both shirt and underwear, which was both embarrassing and uncomfortable when I was making the purchase. 

Out of those things I would say what absolutely needs to happen is restricting the amount of sugar I intake and correcting my eating habits. Instead of going a day and a half and then gorging out on a meal, or alternatively over eating an entire day because god damn it was good food should be replaced with structured meals with healthier foods and proportions. I do have one thing going for me though, and that's my father willing to help me develop some stamina again so I can walk more than half a block before being winded, gasping for air and sucking down an eighth of my inhaler. 

So in comes fishing. We start in the morning, and we go until the sun sets, and we're walking everywhere at the locations we're in. I don't have a fit bit or anything, but my phone estimates I burn just over a thousand calories a day because of my weight and how many steps I am taking while out fishing. 

My targeted goal is to get back to what I was in high school: 180. 

So fish on!  

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

34 minutes ago, Peace said:

I'll join this. Good on you, @Advantage

Here are some things about me: 

- I currently weigh 320 pounds on the bathroom scale.

- I drink about four to five litres of water every day. 

- I have not been avoiding unhealthy sugars like pop, candy, and what not -- that changes now. 

- Diet is sporadic, honestly. I won't eat for a day and a half, but then I'll overeat whenever I do have a meal. 

- Started exercising (pictures below) by doing things I enjoy more. 

- My father is helping me stay motivated by providing fishing lessons and rides, he is a pro fly fisherman so hey! 

- I recently gained a size of both shirt and underwear, which was both embarrassing and uncomfortable when I was making the purchase. 

Out of those things I would say what absolutely needs to happen is restricting the amount of sugar I intake and correcting my eating habits. Instead of going a day and a half and then gorging out on a meal, or alternatively over eating an entire day because god damn it was good food should be replaced with structured meals with healthier foods and proportions. I do have one thing going for me though, and that's my father willing to help me develop some stamina again so I can walk more than half a block before being winded, gasping for air and sucking down an eighth of my inhaler. 

So in comes fishing. We start in the morning, and we go until the sun sets, and we're walking everywhere at the locations we're in. I don't have a fit bit or anything, but my phone estimates I burn just over a thousand calories a day because of my weight and how many steps I am taking while out fishing. 

My targeted goal is to get back to what I was in high school: 180. 

So fish on!  

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Good for you man.  Important to get your exercise in ways you enjoy.. part of the reason why we are looking to do some different things this summer.

This is me at 425...

received_1359609610871057.jpeg

Fresco covid version

• I'm currently around 168 (5'10") but was around 190 in college (so change CAN happen!! :D)
  • Water for me I focus on drinking 2-3 full shakers worth of water (this includes supplement mixes, proteins, etc...)
  • cooking a LOT more (i make a lot of tacos) - locally we have had a long shelter in place and so eating out or getting carryout wasn't really an option, so I have
  • I have found varying degrees of success with some apps.  It's not 100% accurate, but I bought a scale with an app called FeelFit and I track my BMI, body fat, etc.  I also have tried MyFitnessPal to track food intake (it takes time to set up but if you're good about eating the same meals as my boring ass, tracking does not take much time)
  • I have long found solace in going to the gym before work (see: you have to get up early AF) but it has remained a consistent part of my schedule pre-covid.  Since then, I do occasional bodyweight exercises but have realized that it's just not going to be the same for awhile with gyms being closed, so I have transitioned more to a cardio-based exercise with a lot of biking.  I would recommend the strava app, it does a great job tracking via gps and even temporarily pauses when you stop at a light (there are a lot of those here).
  • In terms of food intake, I would recommend getting into meal prep.  It doesn't have to be insane like a bodybuilder, but I have found that having meals ready lowers the likeliness that I will not order fast food.  Can be as easy as rice or pasta based salads with a brat, chicken fillet with cheese, pancakes (I make them almost too much).  I have a ton of recipes if anyone is interested.
  • For headphones a cheap, GREAT alternative to the pricey apple or beats headphones are a brand called Boltune.  They are around 40 bucks and work incredibly well.
  • Another thing I've tried to do (moderate success) has been to focus on my posture and fixing my anterior pelvic tilt (ie. your gluts/lower abs are weaker than your lower back/thighs and they cannot support eachother so you naturally bend forward).  There are great youtube channels that show exercises to battle this and working towards re-training my core to straighten up.

edit: since we're sharing photos of eachother, this is the last public photo i have on social media... last november skiing in michigan (im in the middle... hammered obviously)

77008182_4685385209706_7399481623051239424_o.jpg

Edited by frescoelmo

This is an awesome idea for a thread. I’ll post my own battle too

- I was always tall and skinny growing up, bordering on scrawny, fast metabolism, could eat a whole pizza and not gain a pound. Probably was 6’1” and 160 lbs at 18. When I hit 25 that all changed. Wasn’t playing as many sports, Job get less active and i ballooned up. Drinking every weekend and daily energy drinks definitely didn’t help. Got up to 200 lbs. Not great, but not too bad. 

- Have had plenty of ups and downs, hitting the gym hard, then going months without. Eating good and losing weight, then binge eating and gaining it all back. 

- Last year I had 4 days in a row, where I couldn’t stop hiccuping. Couldn’t make them go away, couldn’t sleep and it was getting hard to breathe. Went to the doctor and they sent me for X-rays, blood work, ultrasounds, the whole thing. Ended up being acid build up. But they also found I have a fatty liver. Luckily it was early enough that I can still fix it. 

- Before Covid, I was doing well, gym 4 times a week, eating pretty well. I went to a nutritionist and found I’m lactose intolerant and sensitive to gluten and whey. Really limited what I could eat, which made things easier in a way. 

- Then the virus hit, gyms closed and I got laid off from work. Sitting around at home and feeling sorry for myself really took its toll. Went from 220-225 back up to 250. Clothes were getting tight and I was feeling very self conscious about going anywhere. Invested in lots of baggy clothes. Worst part is I’m getting married this fall and I cringe looking at pictures of myself right now, and I don’t want that for my wedding pictures. 

- Just got the call to go back to work, gyms are now able to open and I had ordered a set of dumb bells and they just showed up yesterday. That’s the easy part, being active and going to the gym has never been my issue. It’s always been my eating. And with working long hours, it’s hard to cook healthy meals. But I’m hoping with more of a regular routine, I can get back into the right habits to lose a good amount of weight before October. 

image.thumb.jpeg.aaa3f9f67556a1b66564448aff37fa19.jpeg

This is my most recent picture, from last month, trying on wedding clothes. 

4 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

Fresco covid version

• I'm currently around 168 (5'10") but was around 190 in college (so change CAN happen!! :D)
  • Water for me I focus on drinking 2-3 full shakers worth of water (this includes supplement mixes, proteins, etc...)
  • cooking a LOT more (i make a lot of tacos) - locally we have had a long shelter in place and so eating out or getting carryout wasn't really an option, so I have
  • I have found varying degrees of success with some apps.  It's not 100% accurate, but I bought a scale with an app called FeelFit and I track my BMI, body fat, etc.  I also have tried MyFitnessPal to track food intake (it takes time to set up but if you're good about eating the same meals as my boring ass, tracking does not take much time)
  • I have long found solace in going to the gym before work (see: you have to get up early AF) but it has remained a consistent part of my schedule pre-covid.  Since then, I do occasional bodyweight exercises but have realized that it's just not going to be the same for awhile with gyms being closed, so I have transitioned more to a cardio-based exercise with a lot of biking.  I would recommend the strava app, it does a great job tracking via gps and even temporarily pauses when you stop at a light (there are a lot of those here).
  • In terms of food intake, I would recommend getting into meal prep.  It doesn't have to be insane like a bodybuilder, but I have found that having meals ready lowers the likeliness that I will not order fast food.  Can be as easy as rice or pasta based salads with a brat, chicken fillet with cheese, pancakes (I make them almost too much).  I have a ton of recipes if anyone is interested.
  • For headphones a cheap, GREAT alternative to the pricey apple or beats headphones are a brand called Boltune.  They are around 40 bucks and work incredibly well.
  • Another thing I've tried to do (moderate success) has been to focus on my posture and fixing my anterior pelvic tilt (ie. your gluts/lower abs are weaker than your lower back/thighs and they cannot support eachother so you naturally bend forward).  There are great youtube channels that show exercises to battle this and working towards re-training my core to straighten up.

edit: since we're sharing photos of eachother, this is the last public photo i have on social media... last november skiing in michigan (im in the middle... hammered obviously)

77008182_4685385209706_7399481623051239424_o.jpg

Good for you man.  Thats some great dedication.  I generally go at night for gym as I'm not a morning person but maybe ill have to change that.

5 hours ago, oilmandan said:

This is an awesome idea for a thread. I’ll post my own battle too

- I was always tall and skinny growing up, bordering on scrawny, fast metabolism, could eat a whole pizza and not gain a pound. Probably was 6’1” and 160 lbs at 18. When I hit 25 that all changed. Wasn’t playing as many sports, Job get less active and i ballooned up. Drinking every weekend and daily energy drinks definitely didn’t help. Got up to 200 lbs. Not great, but not too bad. 

- Have had plenty of ups and downs, hitting the gym hard, then going months without. Eating good and losing weight, then binge eating and gaining it all back. 

- Last year I had 4 days in a row, where I couldn’t stop hiccuping. Couldn’t make them go away, couldn’t sleep and it was getting hard to breathe. Went to the doctor and they sent me for X-rays, blood work, ultrasounds, the whole thing. Ended up being acid build up. But they also found I have a fatty liver. Luckily it was early enough that I can still fix it. 

- Before Covid, I was doing well, gym 4 times a week, eating pretty well. I went to a nutritionist and found I’m lactose intolerant and sensitive to gluten and whey. Really limited what I could eat, which made things easier in a way. 

- Then the virus hit, gyms closed and I got laid off from work. Sitting around at home and feeling sorry for myself really took its toll. Went from 220-225 back up to 250. Clothes were getting tight and I was feeling very self conscious about going anywhere. Invested in lots of baggy clothes. Worst part is I’m getting married this fall and I cringe looking at pictures of myself right now, and I don’t want that for my wedding pictures. 

- Just got the call to go back to work, gyms are now able to open and I had ordered a set of dumb bells and they just showed up yesterday. That’s the easy part, being active and going to the gym has never been my issue. It’s always been my eating. And with working long hours, it’s hard to cook healthy meals. But I’m hoping with more of a regular routine, I can get back into the right habits to lose a good amount of weight before October. 

image.thumb.jpeg.aaa3f9f67556a1b66564448aff37fa19.jpeg

This is my most recent picture, from last month, trying on wedding clothes. 

Good for you man.  Covid def been tough.

I hope the best for you as someone going through similar situation.

As some of you know, I used to be really big into running a few years ago. I've kind of gradually fallen out of it - one of the contributing factors I'll admit was that there was a year where Joan was doing so many big things that in order to get off work the days I needed to support her, I couldn't then also do anything for myself (it's a decision I'd make 10 times out of 10, her achievements are always going to be more important to me than my own) - but it's been hard to get back into it. Momentum is so important with this sort of thing, as it's easier to continue on doing it when you're already doing it than it is to get started again when you've stopped. Admittedly, given my history, I shouldn't have quite as much difficulty getting back into it, but it's also a bit of a mental thing. In April 2017, I did a 50k, and in September 2017, I did 73 miles in 4 days, including back to back marathons. Now, I'd struggle through a half. I've gone a bit backwards, and I've gained about 25-30 pounds. It's especially hard right now as most major races are cancelled for much of the rest of the year and a few of the bigger ones into early 2021, but I've done it before and can do it again.

This pic is old, it's from "peak me" and it's a pic I particularly like myself in:

FEUpVh.png

This one is me from about 5 minutes ago. Have gained a bit of a gut (shirt's a tad messy as well, please ignore that).

pDmvmu.jpg

Woah ADV that's awesome, congrats on recognizing a problem, creating a plan to combat it, and doing it so publicly so your friends can help you stick to it!

My two cents in here - same sorta story as everyone, start off athletic, go to uni, sedentary lifestyle, put on weight. I'm not big on tracking weight as numbers, I'd rather go by overall health and dedication to the regimen. With that being said, I managed to lose 40 pounds in 8 months a few years ago.

My big trick was portion control. I was eating a 'bowl-of-cereal' for breakfast, but it turns out that filling a bowl was actually 3x the portion serving. I downloaded MyFitnessPal from UnderArmour, bought a kitchen scale, and went from there. Losing weight, for me, was about taking in less calories than I burned each day. The smaller portions took some getting used to, but after a week or two your body adjusts and learns to make due with the new caloric intake.

You got this Adv!!

20 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

As some of you know, I used to be really big into running a few years ago. I've kind of gradually fallen out of it - one of the contributing factors I'll admit was that there was a year where Joan was doing so many big things that in order to get off work the days I needed to support her, I couldn't then also do anything for myself (it's a decision I'd make 10 times out of 10, her achievements are always going to be more important to me than my own) - but it's been hard to get back into it. Momentum is so important with this sort of thing, as it's easier to continue on doing it when you're already doing it than it is to get started again when you've stopped. Admittedly, given my history, I shouldn't have quite as much difficulty getting back into it, but it's also a bit of a mental thing. In April 2017, I did a 50k, and in September 2017, I did 73 miles in 4 days, including back to back marathons. Now, I'd struggle through a half. I've gone a bit backwards, and I've gained about 25-30 pounds. It's especially hard right now as most major races are cancelled for much of the rest of the year and a few of the bigger ones into early 2021, but I've done it before and can do it again.

This pic is old, it's from "peak me" and it's a pic I particularly like myself in:

FEUpVh.png

This one is me from about 5 minutes ago. Have gained a bit of a gut (shirt's a tad messy as well, please ignore that).

pDmvmu.jpg

Your running has always been pretty inspiring honestly.   Covid definitely doesn't help though.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:32 PM, Advantage said:

Good for you man.  Thats some great dedication.  I generally go at night for gym as I'm not a morning person but maybe ill have to change that.

It might not be the case for everyone, but I found it easier to stick with when I signed up for workout classes.  Also I really enjoy driving to work without traffic, and that doesn't exist at 530am...  also just in general, there are FAR fewer people in the morning at gyms and they are usually dedicated, friendly people.

49 minutes ago, twists said:

I don't have any before and after pics for you guys, but both of my parents have been obese my whole life. I swore I would never get that way. I'm 5'11" and was sitting around 200lbs before covid. Not good, but not bad either, just like @oilmandan. To my surprise and disgust I stepped on a scale last week and realized I had put on 50 FUCKING POUNDS thanks to covid and my lack of activity. I couldn't let that happen. As of this week I jumped on a low calorie, high protein diet. I started working out 2 days a week (hope to up this to 4), doing cardio 5 days a week. I couldn't believe how out of shape I was. Regardless I'm slowly getting better. I've lost 10lbs in the first week (obviously can't expect that any week other than the first, but still), and I intend to lose more. Thanks for the thread @Advantage

Good for you man.  Keep updating.  Little gains are what get us to our goals.  Its great that you recognized this and are immediately making improvements.

30 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

It might not be the case for everyone, but I found it easier to stick with when I signed up for workout classes.  Also I really enjoy driving to work without traffic, and that doesn't exist at 530am...  also just in general, there are FAR fewer people in the morning at gyms and they are usually dedicated, friendly people.

Yeah true enough.  When I was closing at 9 id head over (its across the street) and hammer out an hour or so there.

How long do you usually go for? 

4 hours ago, Advantage said:

Yeah true enough.  When I was closing at 9 id head over (its across the street) and hammer out an hour or so there.

How long do you usually go for? 

I usually try to stick to an hour, if you are looking for regimens I used to use bodybuilding.com cause they have a lot of good, free ones.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.

@Advantage not sure how you're doing on hitting your step goals nowadays, but figured I'd share my method of hitting them when I wore my fitbit lol. Basically, I'd give myself 1-2 episodes of TV, and then walk around the house for 1000 steps before I was "allowed" to watch tv again. Also would do the same during intermission when hockey was on.

As for my health/fitness:

• Was a fairly heavy kid in HS, topping out at 5'10, 230. Went through a ton of depression bull shit, getting bullied, and just generally down on myself.
  • In university, I started working out and leaned down to 175, which was great for my self-esteem, but with how my body carries muscle I looked a lot skinnier than I liked at that weight.
  • Depression hit again a few years ago and was close to 230, been kinda yo-yoing between 210-225 since then
  • Not being at my ideal weight, I definitely gave up a bit on myself, and pretty much any time I've tried to get back into shape, I've had little motivation to keep going, so would see some positive results and then have it fall apart
  • COVID has been a bit of a blessing in that I've been able to eat at home a lot more, and we have a decent gym in our basement, so I've been working out a lot more consistently - some shit's happened recently that's made it tough to stay consistent, but I'm still trying to at least workout every other day, and I'm starting to get close to my peaks in lifting, from when I used to be more into it.
  • Diet includes a lot of whole/ancient grains, chicken and fish. Very little processed flour. Try to hit 2500mL of water each day (canteens help with that, knowing how much I've drank).

Goal is to see a 1 at the front of the scale again, which I know is possible, but keeping the motivation is my issue.

9 minutes ago, Quik said:

@Advantage not sure how you're doing on hitting your step goals nowadays, but figured I'd share my method of hitting them when I wore my fitbit lol. Basically, I'd give myself 1-2 episodes of TV, and then walk around the house for 1000 steps before I was "allowed" to watch tv again. Also would do the same during intermission when hockey was on.

As for my health/fitness:

• Was a fairly heavy kid in HS, topping out at 5'10, 230. Went through a ton of depression bull shit, getting bullied, and just generally down on myself.
  • In university, I started working out and leaned down to 175, which was great for my self-esteem, but with how my body carries muscle I looked a lot skinnier than I liked at that weight.
  • Depression hit again a few years ago and was close to 230, been kinda yo-yoing between 210-225 since then
  • Not being at my ideal weight, I definitely gave up a bit on myself, and pretty much any time I've tried to get back into shape, I've had little motivation to keep going, so would see some positive results and then have it fall apart
  • COVID has been a bit of a blessing in that I've been able to eat at home a lot more, and we have a decent gym in our basement, so I've been working out a lot more consistently - some shit's happened recently that's made it tough to stay consistent, but I'm still trying to at least workout every other day, and I'm starting to get close to my peaks in lifting, from when I used to be more into it.
  • Diet includes a lot of whole/ancient grains, chicken and fish. Very little processed flour. Try to hit 2500mL of water each day (canteens help with that, knowing how much I've drank).

Goal is to see a 1 at the front of the scale again, which I know is possible, but keeping the motivation is my issue.

Honestly my biggest issue with steps is work cause I have benches for selling phones and I have to sit to do so properly.

And I work 11 to 7 so I usually am around 4000-5000 steps at 7:30ish.  Just limits my ability to do things..but i just take it day by day and try and get them in.

2 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Honestly my biggest issue with steps is work cause I have benches for selling phones and I have to sit to do so properly.

And I work 11 to 7 so I usually am around 4000-5000 steps at 7:30ish.  Just limits my ability to do things..but i just take it day by day and try and get them in.

Best thing for steps is going for a morning walk and another one when you get home. Its even easier when you have a dog to motivate you.

1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

Best thing for steps is going for a morning walk and another one when you get home. Its even easier when you have a dog to motivate you.

Yeah we go for walks.  I'm just not a morning person.  I usually get up around 10:20 for my 11 am shift.  

Usually been at night and those are the days I hit my counts usually.

The girlfriend takes the dog for a walk around 6 am usually so i generally don't like to wear her out too much.  One day we overdid it and she could barely move.  Have been careful since.

Edited by Advantage

Just now, Advantage said:

Yeah we go for walks.  I'm just not a morning person.  I usually get up around 10:20 for my 11 am shift.  

Usually been at night and those are the days I hit my counts usually.

Yeah im not either until I started a job were I work 7am -3:30pm now I get up at 5;30am go for a 30 min walk with the dog and then bike to work. Just set an alarm for 30 mins earlier it sucks at the start but once you get into a routine its nice to go for that morning walk.

5 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Yeah, sedentary work is tough. Especially now, being high-risk category with my T1 diabetes. I used to get up every hour or so and just go for a quick 5-minute walk around the dock/warehouse, but now I barely leave my office at work - I've tried to implement some more walks around my block to compensate, but motivation for doing cardio has been low ?