Health and Fitness Thread

Advantage

1 minute ago, Quik said:

Yeah, sedentary work is tough. Especially now, being high-risk category with my T1 diabetes. I used to get up every hour or so and just go for a quick 5-minute walk around the dock/warehouse, but now I barely leave my office at work - I've tried to implement some more walks around my block to compensate, but motivation for doing cardio has been low ?

Yeah I get that one for sure.

On 6/14/2020 at 2:15 PM, Advantage said:

Nothing worse than a busy day at work...but not for the reasons you'd think.  I sell phones so if we are busy I'm sitting down all day which doesn't help the step count.  Means I have to try and make up for it tonight.

If I'm you, try and walk for the 2 minutes a day while you're brushing your teeth. It actually adds up. I generally rack in around 500 steps just per 2 minutes haha. So thats a free 1000 steps all for brushing your teeth.

I'll share my own story in a bit, however recently I've been really down considering I was, in what I'd consider, my peak physique and due to COVID-19 I've gained around nearly 25 lbs since my work asks for me to sit at a desk for 15 hours a day. This has spiralled me into ordering out a lot and not having a moment to myself where I can actually cook for myself. I'm glad you made this thread @Advantage and I'm hoping I can use it as a motivator to get back to where I was before.

Edited by fonziGG

3 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Yeah I get that one for sure.

Virtual walk buddies? We both try and get 10-15 minutes of walk in every night, if we don't, the other gets to choose member title for the next day?

In high school and college, I played lots of sports (tennis mostly), so staying active wasn't a problem, as I got tons of exercise compared to the average person. 

I am a year and a half out of college now, and the white collar lifestyle makes it a lot harder to stay in shape. Before covid when I was in the office, people would constantly bring in soft pretzels, cookies, pizza etc and how can you resist eating that when you are bored at work and staring at it all day. Additionally, it is a lot harder to be motivated to go work out or play a sport when you get home at 6 after a long day of work and a crappy nearly hour commute. Here are some of the ways I try to stay healthy

• I drink lots of water, and only water. Only other thing I will drink is occasionally alchohol, or like once every 3 months I have a lemonade or gatoraid. 
  • The past few weeks I have tried to stop allowing myself to eat after dinner. I generally eat decently during the day, but the after dinner video game time usually turns into snack time for me, and it helps me cut down on calories in general but moreso crap food
  • Cut down on sugary foods - Sugar is absolutely addicting, but in my opinion it's like the worst thing you can have (check how much sugar is in a serving of soda). While I still will eat desserts, I am trying to have them less frequently (only when offered at a party or whatever, instead of always seeking out cookies when chilling at home)
  • Play sports like tennis or pickleball - running just to run is the absolute worst, it is so boring and I hate it. The only way I can consistently stay in shape in playing sports. This is much easier now during the summer, but was more of a struggle during the winter. 
  • I hate most vegetables, but need to eat more. This is a work in progress. I hate how asparagus makes your pee smell. 

My story is a bit different from others, but I guess it can be worth sharing too.

- I've always been pretty skinny. I'm 5'11" and I've been dangling around 145 lbs for a long time now. Well, that was the case pre-COVID. I don't have a scale at home and the one we had at work was hidden for safety reasons. I don't think my weight has fluctuated much though, that's not really my issue.

- I was always fairly active. I played hockey and baseball from 5 to 18, continued hockey into my adulthood a bit. Stopped a couple years back because the price was too much for the young adult that I was, but I picked up ultimate frisbee and have been ever since.

- With the COVID-related restrictions, the past season was shut down in February and there doesn't seem to be plans in place to start the summer season. I have literally not been playing sports since Februrary and I never really liked training at the gym or running, so I have flat out not been doing anything in the past 4-5 months. I played spike ball with some friends a week ago and I was out of breath in sminutes, so I really need to find a way to motivate myself to run or play some legal sports. I've been trying to walk with the dog some more, and walk more at work, like during my breaks and all, but I need to start doing some more intense running as well.

I started getting vertigos a couple of months ago. Like, whenever I'd be sitting for a while, I'd stand up and get dizzy to the point where I need to hold myself on the couch or the wall or I'd fall. People around me think it might be due to dehydration - which I believe it is. I have never been a fan of drinking water, it tastes nothing. But with my new sedentary lifestyle, I have also started drinking a lot more daily, so I guess I need to find a way to replace beer and gin by water. We bought a sparkling water machine and some low-sugar, water flavours, so maybe that'll help.

So I guess my objectives for the short-term future are:

Try to go for a run every other day and set goals for myself to increase the distance or the rhythm every now and then.

- Try to drink like 3L of water daily. I've probably been drinking less than 1L daily for my whole life.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

17 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Lol that's an interesting thought.

haha, yeah, figured it's fairly low-stakes motivation to get out and about

42 minutes ago, Quik said:

Virtual walk buddies? We both try and get 10-15 minutes of walk in every night, if we don't, the other gets to choose member title for the next day?

24 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Lol that's an interesting thought.

I'd get in on that to be honest.

23 minutes ago, twists said:

I have a fun update, I'm down nearly 20lbs! It's a great feeling. Workouts have moved to 3 days a week, and cardio for about 2 miles 3 - 4 days a week. It's going great. I'm happy and less heavy. Also, if anyone wants a leg up on their workouts I highly recommend a creatine routine. It helps your muscles recover much faster. Other than pure protein it's the single most studied supplement. It basically works by pulling in more water into your muscles to help them heal faster. tl;dr you might put on a little water weight, but your workouts will be waaaay easier. Also, don't worry I'm not recommending a banned substance or anything ;).

Great stuff!!! Awesome to see that progress  :)

47 minutes ago, twists said:

I have a fun update, I'm down nearly 20lbs! It's a great feeling. Workouts have moved to 3 days a week, and cardio for about 2 miles 3 - 4 days a week. It's going great. I'm happy and less heavy. Also, if anyone wants a leg up on their workouts I highly recommend a creatine routine. It helps your muscles recover much faster. Other than pure protein it's the single most studied supplement. It basically works by pulling in more water into your muscles to help them heal faster. tl;dr you might put on a little water weight, but your workouts will be waaaay easier. Also, don't worry I'm not recommending a banned substance or anything ;).

This. Only thing better is roids.

2 hours ago, Beaviss said:

This. Only thing better is roids.

Even then I’d argue that creatine is godly. If I could, I’d sprinkle that shit on my food like salt

Edited by fonziGG

6 hours ago, Beaviss said:

Starting to get back into it! Biking 30km total to and from work. 3 times a week.

I've been debating doing this, it's about 9-10 miles to my office.  Obviously a little less intriguing since I have to fight what is locally known as afghanistan aka Chicago street quality...  but at a good pace I can probably get there in 40 minutes.  Maybe I'll try tomorrow since I don't have to impress anyone.

1 hour ago, fonziGG said:

Even then I’d argue that creatine is godly. If I could, I’d sprinkle that shit on my food like salt

You do have to moderate it, IIRC you're only supposed to use it for ... 30 days at a time?  I can't remember.  I have been trying to stay away from the shit since I stopped lifting during covid.

But I can't :D

34 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

I've been debating doing this, it's about 9-10 miles to my office.  Obviously a little less intriguing since I have to fight what is locally known as afghanistan aka Chicago street quality...  but at a good pace I can probably get there in 40 minutes.  Maybe I'll try tomorrow since I don't have to impress anyone

Yeah it's a little nicer for me since I got a nice paved bike only road that goes through the forest lol

6 hours ago, frescoelmo said:

You do have to moderate it, IIRC you're only supposed to use it for ... 30 days at a time?  I can't remember.  I have been trying to stay away from the shit since I stopped lifting during covid.

I’ve never cycled it. It’s literally the best preworkout ever for me and it even helps with muscle recovery (it’s entire purpose). Smart play to stopping tho since you’re not lifting atm anyways. I did as well.

On 6/22/2020 at 2:40 PM, McWolf said:

I'd get in on that to be honest.

@Advantage @twists (since you liked McWolf's post)

You guys down to start this? Rather than "punishing" for one missed day, we can commit to 5 days per week of 10+ minutes for now, weather permitting? Something small/easy enough to get started, then maybe add in 5 minute increments every week or 2 until we hit 90 minute min?

1 minute ago, Quik said:

weather permitting

I was about to say that. There's been a heat wave in Quebec for like 2 weeks now. We're regularly hitting 40°C, I'm not running in that.

2 minutes ago, Quik said:

Something small/easy enough to get started, then maybe add in 5 minute increments every week or 2 until we hit 90 minute min?

I say we can all set our own goals, but we try to push each other to do a bit more weekly or so. I'm looking more to run more than I walk. I don't think I'll ever jog 90 minutes a day 5 times a week. I was thinking of starting at 3km myself, and maybe add 1km every week or so. Hoping I can run 10km regularly at some point.

1 minute ago, McWolf said:

I was about to say that. There's been a heat wave in Quebec for like 2 weeks now. We're regularly hitting 40°C, I'm not running in that.

I say we can all set our own goals, but we try to push each other to do a bit more weekly or so. I'm looking more to run more than I walk. I don't think I'll ever jog 90 minutes a day 5 times a week. I was thinking of starting at 3km myself, and maybe add 1km every week or so. Hoping I can run 10km regularly at some point.

Yeah, I'd be down to set our own goals, as well. Just think it'd be a fun idea to have a walking/running group to help motivate each other.

21 minutes ago, Quik said:

Yeah, I'd be down to set our own goals, as well. Just think it'd be a fun idea to have a walking/running group to help motivate each other.

We have the pacer app for work related walking challenges and it works well for free 

Ok guys talking about working out together I created a group to track everything from all your devices to keep us honest at

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fitbit-health-fitness/id462638897

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitbit.FitbitMobile&hl=en_CA

You don't need the fit-bit app to make this work only your phone and or smart watch etc. Add me on the Fitbit app and we can work out together and track daily etc. Name: Beaviss VHL

Let me know if you need any help getting started or if this is for any of you.

@Quik @Advantage@McWolf
@fonziGG @frescoelmo

1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

Ok guys talking about working out together I created a group to track everything from all your devices to keep us honest at

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fitbit-health-fitness/id462638897

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitbit.FitbitMobile&hl=en_CA

You don't need the fit-bit app to make this work only your phone and or smart watch etc. Add me on the Fitbit app and we can work out together and track daily etc. Name: Beaviss VHL

Let me know if you need any help getting started or if this is for any of you.

@Quik @Advantage@McWolf
@fonziGG @frescoelmo

I vote Beaviss' new Member Title becomes 'Big Brother'

2 minutes ago, Quik said:

I vote Beaviss' new Member Title becomes 'Big Brother'

its cool it automatically moves all your info over so you dont need to manually do anything