Fonzi's Corner: The Minnesota Storm

fonziGG

Whats Up Mexican GIF

:osl: The Minnesota Storm :osl:

Now this one is a highly requested article and while I don't usually succumb to peer pressure, I will say that this team has intrigued me over a little bit of time. I mean, we are talking about a team that hasn't lost in 10 games. That's right, 10 straight wins but if thats not impressive, then let's look at their last 15 games? Well, they've not lost in 15 either. Over the past 20 games, they have run an absolutely dominating 18-2 record. Seriously, I scratched my eyes when I saw that as well. While that's incredibly impressive, they've been doing this with the 2nd best PP percentage and 4th best PK percentage. Minnesota has been the most dominant team in the league and it's no question that I expect that to continue.

The Young Players:

Cole Newhook @GrittyIsKing09

Danny DeYeeto @Cran

Groovy Dood @bigAL

Hunter Harrison @I'll change this later

Jack John @GoadenGoalie35

Liam Flaten @flatl99

Michael Hall @Hops

Mickey Dickson @Brewins15

Mikeal Keef @RStar

Woody McPine @HearnNation67

Goaltenders:

Let's start with the goalie here in Woody McPine. Woody has been an absolute revelation this season for the Storm. He's boasted this season with a 90.6% save percentage and a 2.06 goals against average. This is top 5 in the league in his position material, infact you could probably argue he's a top 3 player in his position. Actually, I'd like to make a firm belief that he is the best goalie in the VHLM at the moment. Woody also has a league leading eight shutouts (sharing with Nils Friedriksen) and has been one of the best players on this already dominating team. I expect to see him blossom with Prague after getting drafted 35th overall in S71.

Defenders:

Minnesota has a glut of brilliant defenders on the team. GM Funk has done an excellent job of bringing in the right players for the right roles on this team. We'll start with Danny DeYeeto, a player who is in the top 10 for assists with 57 which is also netting him around 81 points. His plus/minus is at +74 as well and has 12 PP goals for the team. Danny has been a true leader for this team and it shows with his play. Seriously, Danny has been the most physical player on the team and is being an example to the younger players.

Hunter Harrison has been a fantastic utility player for the team. Hunter has boasted a +57 plus/minus with a solid 119 hits and 44 shots blocked. He's not on the team to be a true offensive weapon, however he has been improving on that side of the ice every single season. This season he's truly lived up to his utility name for Minnesota.

Liam Flaten has been another brilliant player for Minnesota. Liam has 83 points on the season, 13 power play goals and 61 assists. Heck I'm sure his 22 goals doesn't hurt. Liam has been an absolute defensive dynamite on the blueline for Minnesota. In fact, he's nearly tripled his scoring total from last season when he played for Philadelphia. He was drafted 16th overall by the DC Dragons and is a major blue chip prospect for the team.

Mikeal Keef has been another young stud joining this team. Infact, Mikeal has been a fantastic 2 way defender for the team by putting up 40 assists and 57 shot blocks. Minnesota has hit the jackpot with this young +33 defender and every single team in the VHL has been keeping an eye on Mikeal who has been reaping the rewards of training extra hard. In fact, some of his teammates had mentioned that he had been working harder than anyone else on the team and has invoked other teammates to try to work as hard.

Forwards:

The grooviest dude in the entire VHL, Groovy Dood, has been catching fire as of late for the Storm. Groovy has put up a very impressive 7 goals and 27 assists for  34 points on what I'd like to consider a brilliant rookie season (he played 2 games for Halifax last season). The only hole in Groovy's game is that he's only blocked 2 shots on the entire season and if he wanted to impress GM's at the VHL level, he's going to need to be able to pick up the slack on the defensive end. He's been a very slick player for a 6 foot 1 inch player and always seems to be finding space for not just himself but also for his teammates. I expect a very bright future for Groovy!

Jack John has been another veteran in the room for Minnesota. He's been training hard and in private for the past 3 seasons and there seems to be a lot of faith that he can be a very solid piece for Prague. Jack has put up 8 goals, 14 assists and 22 points on limited minutes. In fact, he's boasting a great plus/minus of +33 and has scored 2 goals on the PP. He's been a major physical piece for the team on the offensive side of the ice by putting up 78 hits as well. Everyone knows he's going to be a fantastic depth piece for any VHL team in the future.

Michael Hall has been a major piece to this team by boasting nearly a point per game statistics. He's thrown up an impress 24 goals and 21 assists with a +24 plus/minus to note. While impressing on the offensive line, just from that stat line you can see that he does need to work on his defense however his offense has been an absolute powerhouse to note for his depth scoring. Michael has been impressive but I expect him to be even more brilliant down the line.

Mickey Dickson is the last forward we're going to talk about today. In fact, probably one of the best forwards on the team. He's been rocking an 18 goal 52 assists for 70 points. Whats impressive about this is that even though he has the calibre to score goals but he's finding the right players at the right time to score. He's showing up on the defensive side of the ice with a +53 plus/minus. Mickey was drafted by Davos back in S71 and I fully expect him to go up to the major leagues this season considering he can be a brilliant playmaker for any team (which is a very hot commodity).

That ladies and gents is the Minnesota Storm. Who are we talking about next? Let me know in the comments.

barack obama mic drop GIF