Patrik's Picks: EP 4: VHLM Team MVPs

Laine

Hard to believe we are already four episodes into this series. I'll be displaying my thoughts on who is the MVP for each VHLM club in this episode. Keep in mind, this is for the REGULAR SEASON. Playoffs will be discussed later. Let us begin:

PHILADELPHIA REAPERS: G John Poremba (@CrlineDijohn14)

Considering that the Reapers loaded up at the deadline to make a push for a cup, Poremba was the biggest piece to this puzzle before the deadline. Across 69 games this season, Poremba went 50-14-5 with a .904 Save Percentage, 2.35 Goals Against Average and 8 Shutouts. His play in the playoffs has been just as good, going 7-2-1 in 10 games so far this postseason.

MEXICO CITY KINGS:  RW Chris Hylands (@Hylands33)

After being selected 1st overall in the VHLM Dispersal Draft, Hylands was a top player in the league this season. He notched 52 goals to go along with 55 assists in 72 games, totalling 107 points and was a +51 down the stretch.

SASKATOON WILD: G Cal Conway (@Shaka)

Now, this is probably a controversial pick on my part, but Conway was one of the best goalies in the league in his backup role in SSK. He only played in 21 games, but he went 17-2-2 with a .913 Save Percentage, 2.07 Goals Against Average and 2 shutouts. Not bad for a backup that only played 3 games the year before.

MINNESOTA STORM: G Woody McPine (@HearnNation67)

McPine was an absolute brick wall this season in net for Minnesota. He started all 72 games this season, going 60-10-2 with a .900 Save Percentage, 2.25 Goals Against Average and an astonishing 9 shutouts. He was a big reason why Minnesota was a contending team all season long.

MIAMI MARAUDERS: C Dakota Lamb (@dlamb)

Lamb was a big part of Miami's surprising playoff appearance in their first season. Dakota was playing over a point per game, notching 93 points in 72 games. Even though Miami was knocked out in 7 games, Lamb had 13 points, 7 of which were goals in those games.

LAS VEGAS ACES: D Alex Letang (@Spartan)

Letang was an absolute force for the Aces this year. Putting up 20 goals to go along with his league-leading 94 assists (tied with Tyler Walker from SSK) for 114 points. In 6 playoff games this postseason, he notched 7 points and had 13 shot blocks.

OTTAWA LYNX:  LW Adam Syreck (@Spade18)

I know I will get these comments, so I will address them now. Yes, Syreck is no longer with the Lynx after being traded at the deadline but he was playing like an MVP for Ottawa before being traded and was part of why Ottawa was in a playoff spot in the first place. He notched a total of 58 goals, 89 assists and a league-leading 147 points between both OTT and PHI (most of them coming with OTT) and has continued this elite level of play so far in the playoffs.

MISSISSAUGA HOUNDS: D Shawn Glade III (@ShawnGlade)

Glade was a force for the Hounds this year, notching 19 Goals and 64 for 83 points in 72 games this season. He is now projected as a first round draft pick in the upcoming VHL draft.

HOUSTON BULLS: G Drew Minott (@DreMin15)

Minott was a big part of Houston's last season turnaround. Before signing Minott, Houston had compiled 2 wins in 40 games. After signing Minott, they had 6 in their next 32. He will be a big part of Houston's core going into next season.

HALIFAX 21ST: G Hex Valentine (@DrHexDex)

Valentine was a huge part of a Halifax team lacking a true offensive star. He won 21 of his 72 starts and recorded 2 shutouts this season.

YUKON RUSH: G Jean Pierre Camus (@solas)

Camus was a bright spot on a disappointing season for the Rush. He notched 21 wins and 3 shutouts in 72 games and had an impressive .906 save percentage through those 72 games.

SAN DIEGO MARLINS: D Han Jae Kuk (@Dtayl)

During an abysmal season for the Marlins, Kuk stepped up to the plate. In his rookie season with the Marlins, he recorded 34 points in 68 games. However, his biggest impact was without the puck, recording 114 hits and 140 blocked shots in 68 games.

Summary:

These are my picks for VHLM team MVPs. The next episode will be my review of the S72 VHLM Playoffs.

(737 words, 4007 characters)

16 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I mean Conway was great but MVP?

Yeah, I thought about it a bit but for the time that he saw those numbers. Sure it isn't as big a scale like 60 games but still 17-2-2 is nothing to scoff at.

1 hour ago, PatrikLaine said:

SASKATOON WILD: G Cal Conway (@Shaka)

Now, this is probably a controversial pick on my part, but Conway was one of the best goalies in the league in his backup role in SSK. He only played in 21 games, but he went 17-2-2 with a .913 Save Percentage, 2.07 Goals Against Average and 2 shutouts. Not bad for a backup that only played 3 games the year before.

What the actual..

1 hour ago, PatrikLaine said:

Yeah, I thought about it a bit but for the time that he saw those numbers. Sure it isn't as big a scale like 60 games but still 17-2-2 is nothing to scoff at.

Sure but we have the leagues top assist and point getter for defenders and another bunch of high end forwards and dmen.  Just seems like a weird one.

37 minutes ago, JigglyGumballs said:

Man's didn't even put himself. Smh mh my head ?. Minner's been a stud tho so can't complain.

I’ll complain, definitely was Patty this year. When the rest of the team was out of a game or feeling like we didn’t have a chance, it was always Patty that sparked us. Either by scoring a big goal or giving us a Herb Brooks-esque speech. #PattyForMVP

14 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Sure but we have the leagues top assist and point getter for defenders and another bunch of high end forwards and dmen.  Just seems like a weird one.

Yeah, I knew it was controversial as soon as I put it because you guys have some studs like Tyler Walker.

Review: Great idea for an article. I really like how you brought light to new players who are doing very well in the league. Tagging members in this type of article is always a great idea so that each person feels involved. You did a pretty good job breaking down each player and their contributions to their team. I am interested to see what other material you come up with. Great work. Rating: 8.5/10

OTTAWA LYNX:  LW Adam Syreck (@Spade18)

I know I will get these comments, so I will address them now. Yes, Syreck is no longer with the Lynx after being traded at the deadline but he was playing like an MVP for Ottawa before being traded and was part of why Ottawa was in a playoff spot in the first place. He notched a total of 58 goals, 89 assists and a league-leading 147 points between both OTT and PHI (most of them coming with OTT) and has continued this elite level of play so far in the playoffs.

Only comment so far is how good of a pick this is.  ? I see you bb