Patrik's Picks EP 5: Interview with G Drew Minott

Laine

Patrik’s Picks EP 5: Interview With Drew Minott

PL: Welcome to episode 5 of Patrik's Picks. Today, we will start a new series before the draft. We will be bringing some of the VHL draft's finest prospects onto our show for pre-draft interviews. Up first tonight, we have the starting goaltender for the Houston Bulls, Drew Minott! Welcome to the show, Drew!

DM: Thanks, Patty! Glad to be here!

PL: How have things been for you since the end of the season?

DM: They’ve been quiet. I’ve not done much besides workout, keep some training up for my hand-eye coordination, and watching the draft ranking and analysis.

PL: Yeah, the draft is right around the corner. You are also eligible for this year's VHLM Draft along with a few of your teammates. Have you been thinking about it or just focused on the VHL?

DM: I’ve been focused on both, really. Of course, the VHL draft is important, but so is the VHLM draft. I’ve still got a ways to go until I’m playing games in the VHL so I’m equally focused on the league I’ll still be a part of.

PL: We always see footage of goalies pre-game rituals and routines. Do you follow a specific routine every game day or pre-game ritual?

DM: Oh, haha well I have a bit of an odd one, though which goalie doesn’t? It’s something most people won’t notice unless they pay close attention, but each game I change out the colour of tape on my stick knob. I usually go through about 6 colours before it loops. I also eat what people would call “white people tacos” before each game, I started that when I got my first win so I thought it was a sign.

PL: That's a unique one. I thought it would be something like over in the NHL if you have seen Connor Hellebuyck's eye movement.

DM: Yeah, a few guys have commented on it. It’s a bit out there, but it worked for me. Certainly isn’t as weird as some people have, like Glenn Hall, who would literally vomit before each game.

PL: Yeah, onto the next question. We've seen in some articles from you and your teammates that there was a lot of fun and pranks going on in the Houston locker room this season. What were your best pranks this year and who on the team got you the best?

DM: I would have to say my best prank was a collaborative one. I was walking down the hall when I caught Jiggly picking the lock to Minnesota’s locker room, and I managed to get him to let me in on it. We ended up taping all their skates while they were at lunch, and we died laughing when they came out for pregame skates. The time I got best pranked though would have to be when someone, I’m not sure who cough cough Jiggly cough cough took my mask and replaced it with a Hasek-like mask, so I had to run with that for a game. We got blown out, so I know who to blame for that one.

PL: Jiggly seems like quite the prankster.

DM: Right? Guy has no breaks, love him though. Great guy.

PL: Yeah, next question. A lot of hockey players model their style of play after the hockey idol they had growing up. Who was your hockey idol growing up and do you model your style of play after them?

DM: I would have to say my idol was good ol’ Bobby Lou, Roberto Luongo. At first, I modelled my game after him, but once I began to grow as a goalie I began to develop my own style based on his, and it evolved over time. I also used to try a lot of Hasek’s old floppy desperation saves, and I still use some of those to this day.

PL: Yeah, Hasek and Luongo were good goaltenders back in the day. Next question, do you have a routine for your days during the offseason and where are you staying this offseason?

DM: I’m staying in my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee for now. A few good rinks here, and with hockey not being particularly popular here they often aren’t crowded. As for the routine, I usually get up around 6:30 AM and go on a run before it gets super humid outside. I swear man it feels like you’ve just stepped out of a steaming shower and the steam is following you around when it gets hot here. After the run I usually cook myself breakfast, then I spend two hours working with general skills (I.E. rebounds, hand-eye, agility, etc.) before I take the rest of the day to chill out. I try to not overwork myself

PL: We have seen a lot of trade rumours and draft rumours going around involving different teams. Do you buy into these rumours or just leave them?

DM: I try not to listen to the media. Obviously you hear some things, but at the end of the day, it just causes more stress to you than it’s worth. I learned that the hard way when I got torn to shreds by VHLM (and even a few VHL) reporters because I wasn’t able to give this team a winning record. You get tired of hearing you’re a bust or an awful signing after a while, you know?

PL: Yeah. The media generates a lot of hype and can ruin the reputations of certain players. There is a chance that you back to Houston through the VHLM draft. Do you hope it is Houston or would you want to go to a different team?

DM: I would definitely love to be back in Houston. I feel like the fans have embraced me and I’ve come to love this city. I know we can’t keep all the boys in the locker room, but I really hope we can keep our core together. I feel like we are only a year away from being a playoff team and that we could do it if we bring everyone we can back, as well as a dad a few pieces. Though if another team picks me up, then I’ll just have to suck it up. I haven’t heard much interest from anyone else besides London, though.

PL: You mention a lot about hanging out with Gumballs and Laine on and off the ice. You guys seem like a nice friend circle there, so I'll ask you this. If you had the choice, would you rather go to a contending team where the roster is a lot quieter or a rebuilder where the locker room is nice and active even though you are losing a lot?

DM: Well, I chose Houston, didn’t I? I much rather would have a mediocre career where I got to enjoy my life than a successful one where I was miserable. Definitely the rebuilder with great guys on it.

PL: Yeah, good choice. We watched some games this season where you played an amazing 60 minutes. One of your teammates, RW Patrik Laine kept throwing it back to a game against MIA where you guys were outshot 31-9 but still won 3-2. Take me back through that game and what was it like to pull one out for your team at that point of the season.

DM: Man, that was a tough game. I didn’t do anything special for the game, just the same routine as always. About halfway through the first, I was getting shelled, but I made one save. I pulled off a Vasilevskiy save, glove behind the back, and I knew then that I wasn’t losing that game. I just felt the momentum and the energy differently in that game. Thankfully the boys made the few chances we got really count, and we managed to pull away with the 1 goal ahead win. Looking back on it, I still don’t know how I pulled that off. Just went with the flow of the game and managed to pull it off.

PL: Uh oh, my producers just gave me the signal that we are out of time for this interview. I would like to thank you for coming on the show and I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming VHL and VHLM drafts. Let's give Drew one last round of applause!

DM: Thank you, good luck to you as well!

(519 words, 2709 characters written by @PatrikLaine)
(893 words, 4484 characters written by @DreMin15)
People mentioned: @JigglyGumballs @PatrikLaine @DreMin15

A Patrik joins the league, and soon after starts making draft content... feel like I’ve heard this somewhere before ?

Lol amazing article as always man, always love to see draft stuff around here. Hope you continue this series through next season too!