Spencer Elsby's Scouting Profile

Elsby has the potential to quarterback a top power-play unit at the next level, thanks to his high-end hockey sense and elite puck skills on the blue-line. He can transition the puck from defense to offense with possession and is able to do so with good pace to his game. Spencer uses his excellent skating to drive the play and push the pace from the back end. He is an excellent transition player, can make tape-to-tape passes on the fly and presents a high-end offensive game and play making ability that make him dangerous every time he touches the puck.

His agility on his edges and accelerates with ease and blows by opponents with his speed. He has the ability to be the primary puck carrier on his line and excels in the role, cutting through neutral zone defenses like a hot knife in butter. Elsby’s game revolves around his ability to do everything extremely quickly. His hands and feet are both very quick, but his brain might be even quicker because he seems to be able to make great decisions no matter the situation and how much pressure he’s getting from opposing players.

Elsby has proven this league he is truly one of the most finesse players in this league and his ability to dodge hits and even after being hit most importantly not retaliating. There is already talks around the league that Elsby is considered the most hated player to play against because how sly he is about being chippy behind the refs’ eyes and never shuts his mouth. However off the ice all of the opponents admit Elsby is the sweetest and most genuine guy off the ice, he is two different people, when the games starts Elsby is not to be messed with, But off the ice he’s everyone’s best friend always goofing around. This is something Elsby actually takes pride in and was quoted after his last game of the season with Mississauga last season “I want every player in the league to look at there schedule, and say , F*** we have to play Elsby tonight , that is my goal to instill that in all of my opponents minds.. This is something Elsby has been quoted saying several times as well at the beginning of this season during post game interviews. However now hes play speaks for itself and he doesnt need to tell anyone in the VHLM that.

551348479_reapersbanner.png.b76818f6ae578480f9526b1a4bcb5530.png

“Elsby has been one of the draft’s biggest risers throughout the first half of the year thanks to his exceptional play in the VHLM this year and even in Mississauga late last season. He really proved himself to his GM @DMaximus clearly going from a 3rd line D pairing to 1st line in every situation . His puck handing and ability to get shots through shooting lanes no one else sees is like no other. His ability to read the play and create passing lanes from walking the line with his amazing edges or a no look slap pass, this kid is a treat to watch. He is as creative a player with the puck as you will find in this draft.”

- Spence King- VSN

"His speed is impressive ... he can fly. Elsby's puck handling and vision are also excellent. I wasn’t sure on Elsby at the beginning of the season but I can promise you today I am 100% confident Elsby will one day be a #1 D quarterback on he back in the VHL , the future is very bright for this diverse and exciting player, his ceiling is unmatchable and he truly has no floor, this young man is a win-win for whatever lucky team calls his name on draft day. He's got a good attitude, works hard on every shift, and is so confident with the puck. He's also a little bit cocky on the ice, but in a positive way."

Tuu Thurty – VSN

Strengths

-Scoring ability/Quick strong and accurate one timer

-Offensive Positioning, plays like a 4th forward

-Defensive zone IQ, ability to shutdown other teams’ top lines, block shots and always making great outlet passes

-One of the most talented puck handlers you will ever see, can beat any defender one on one with ease with the puck looking to be on a string.

Needs Work

-Discipline, Elsby’s intensity on the ice is sometimes his own worst enemy , his anticts for being a fiestly player aren’t going unseen and Elsby had much more PIMs than he would’ve have liked

-Defensive Strength [Board Play/Puck Battles] Over the offseason it wont surprise me if this weakness is completely irrelevant with the hard work Elsby has put it in the weight room and playing against VHL players at the WJC and winning gold his strength on the puck going into the pros should be no worry as he looks to take his power play QB skills to the pros

Elsby's main goal this season was to prove every GM that chose not to take him last seasons VHL draft and what a big mistake they made.... Elsby is currently the highest TPE User in the VHLM and continues to let his work and play do the talking.