Patrik's Picks EP 6: VHLM Playoff MVPs

Laine

Introduction:

Welcome to another episode of Patrik's Picks! Now, as you may remember a little while ago I did an article on my thoughts of every VHLM team’s MVP during the regular season. I will be taking this idea and flipping it to the postseason. Now, let’s see who we have for our top performers.

Mississauga Hounds (Lost to PHI 4-1)

MVP: RW Michael Mac (4-3-7 in 4 GP)

Even though Mississauga was completely outmatched in their first-round exit against the juggernaut Philadelphia Reapers, right-winger Michael Mac showed up in a big way. Mac had 4 goals and 3 assists across 5 games in the series during Mississauga’s defeat in 5 games.

Ottawa Lynx (Lost of SSK 4-1)

MVP: G Ajay Krishna (0.895 SV% in 5 GP)

It was kind of expected that the Lynx would fall after trading a couple of their stars at the trade deadline and then seeing them matched up against top-seeded Saskatoon. Krishna played admirably and through 5 games in the series had an 0.895% save percentage. Now I know that his 5.32 goals-against average doesn’t look so nice, but he was facing extremely high shot volumes almost every game in that series.

Las Vegas Aces (Lost to MEX 4-2)

MVP: G Nils Friedriksen (0.898 SV% in 6 GP)

Las Vegas played admirably in their opening-round loss to the Mexico City Kings and Vegas netminder Nils Friedriksen is a big reason of why Vegas almost knocked off the Kings in the opening round. With a record of 2-3-1, an .898 save percentage and a stellar 2.75 goals-against average, Friedriksen was playing great hockey for Vegas but Mexico City was just too much to handle.

Miami Marauders (Lost to MIN 4-3)

MVP: C Andre Lebastard (1-11-12 in 7 GP)

Nobody expected much out of the expansion Miami Marauders this year. If people thought a playoff appearance was unexpected, what happened next would blow their minds. Miami almost knocked off the powerhouse Minnesota Storm in 7 games in the first round. Miami centre Andre Lebastard was a part of this special Miami run, notching only 1 goal in 7 games, but adding 11 helpers within those 7 games as well. Unfortunately for Miami, their season would end with a crushing 5-3 loss in game 7.

Minnesota Storm (Beat MIA 4-3, Lost to MEX 4-2)

MVP: RW The Terrible Trivium (5-6-11 in 13 GP)

After going down 3-1 to Miami in the opening round and coming back to beat them in 7 games, Minnesota was raring to go in round 2 for a date with the red hot Mexico City Kings. Minnesota right-wing The Terrible Trivium was a huge part of Minnesota’s amazing comeback. In 13 postseason games, he notched 5 goals and 6 assist for 11 points in 13 games. Unfortunately, Minnesota would be eliminated by Mexico City in 6 games.

Philadelphia Reapers (Beat MIS 4-1, Lost to SSK 4-3)

MVP: LW Adam Syreck (8-10-18 in 12 GP)

Philadelphia looked like a true contender heading into round 2 this postseason. They easily took out Mississauga in 5 games in round 1. They were going to be tested in round 2 with their opponent being Saskatoon. The Reapers acquired Adam Syreck and a few other of Ottawa’s superstars at the deadline and after dominating in the regular season, Syreck wasn’t finished. In 12 games with the Reapers in the playoffs, he had 8 goals and 10 assists for 18 points. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough as the reapers would fall to Saskatoon in 7 games.

Mexico City Kings (Beat LVA 4-2, Beat MIN 4-2, Lost to SSK 4-2)

MVP: LW Jeffrey Pines (10-12-22 in 18 GP)

Mexico City went on a miraculous run this postseason, dancing all the way into the Founder’s Cup Finals and a date with the red hot Saskatoon Wild. Kings left wing Jeffrey Pines was an absolute stud that entire run. He notched 10 goals and 12 assists in 18 games to help Mexico City advance into the Founder’s Cup Finals. Unfortunately, Mexico City would meet its match and end up losing to Saskatoon in a hard-fought 6 game series.

Saskatoon Wild (Beat OTT 4-1,  Beat PHI 4-3, Beat MEX 4-2)

S72 Founder’s Cup Champions!

MVP: LW Kazimir Komarov (14-17-31 in 18 GP)

The moment Saskatoon won the Founder’s Cup, you knew exactly who their MVP was, star left-winger Kazimir Komarov. He recorded 14 goals and 17 assists for 31 points in 18 games this postseason, one of the all-time great performances in VHLM Playoff history. However, Komarov didn’t just dominate on the score sheet, he dominated everywhere. Komarov in those 18 games also recorded 22 hits and 2 blocked shots to propel Saskatoon to the top of the VHLM.

Conclusion:

Before I end this article, I must say congratulations to the Saskatoon Wild for winning the Founder’s Cup! It was fun to watch you guys play all postseason and I wish all of you the best in your futures, especially their GM who is now taking a GM position with one of the VHL's expansion franchises.

People mentioned: @McWolf @Gooningitup @rory @Spade18 @der meister @Andre LeBastard @Hooperorama @Biggreen10 @LastOneUp

(842 words, 4703 characters written by @PatrikLaine)