Fonzi's Corner: The VHLM Draft (Winners Edition)

fonziGG

THE VHLM DRAFT: Winners

ice hockey sport GIF by NHL

I know it's been a bit since I've done a corner post. Mostly because I'm now planning a wedding (help me pls). Also, I lost my job in this time, and that was also a toll on me as well since I've had to travel to interviews. Now, enough about me... Let's talk about this VHLM Draft. It's hard to stay objective considering I have my player in this draft, but alas, I'll remain impartial... I guess.

In summary, there were a few winners in this draft, some losers, of course, and a couple of mehs. However, we're going to mostly highlight the winners here today. There will be another article coming out on both the losers and the meh drafts. A quick preface, ultimately, the VHLM is an incredible developmental league, and I don't think necessarily there will be any winners or losers. We all win by having a fun league to be apart of. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Winners:

:mia:Miami:mia:

Miami is a huge winner in this draft, in my opinion. Winning Kevin King, Matty Socks, and Victor Grachev in the first round was an incredible feat. Kevin King is a brilliant two-way center who has been working on his offense last season within the Las Vegas ranks. Matty Socks is also another excellent addition to the team. Matty is a young 5'11" whos defensive positioning is incredibly strong, as well as a physical presence. Victor Grachev, the Rusky, is another physically demanding defender at 6'3".

Luke Thornton and Rocket go in the 2nd round; both are brilliant forwards who look to be complementary to each other as one is a playmaker, and the other is a pure sniper. These two look like they are going to combine extremely well in the upcoming season.

In the third round, they go off and grab Eoin Byrn and Riley Couture, who are both younger but have the most substantial potential out of the entire group. Again, these two are looked poised to become the best players in this draft, no cap. I'm seriously excited to see how they pan out.

Janiina Juutila is a 4th rounder who is mostly a consistent trainer who has a decent shot at a team in the VHL after all the training adds up. I'd even put Janiina in the smae group as Eoin Byrn and Riley Couture. Bags of potential, and I can't wait to see how it turns out for them.

Patrik Laine in the 5th round as well, who I think is going to be an absolute stud if he decides not to go up immediately. I believe staying down in Miami might be the right call for him, but ultimately, if the VHL calls, you should go up!

Kirk Holloway looks to be an absolute steal in the 6th round as well. Kirk feels special for me, specially since he was putting up a 0.5 ppg in his rookie season. Thats some serious stats for a young man in this league.

Lastly, Russell Rattie, in the 7th round, is someone who looks like a diamond in the rough, it seems. Miami seems to be on the up, in my opinion, and these picks tend to tell an outstanding story.

:sdm:San Diego Marlins:sdm:

San Diego had a glut of picks in the first round, and that shows with their draft this season. Holding the 1st overall pick, they went with John Merrick, who looks poised to have another strong season down in the VHLM! Some say he's physically ready; however, he wants to work on his game further to make the jump! John LeClair II is also another great pick up for San Diego as he's an excellent skater paired with his physicality, he looks poised to be a physically demanding forward. Lastly, Ryan Schwarz, with the last pick in the draft, looks excellent. He's a pure scorer and is a brilliant individual player. San Diego's 1st round, just like Miami's, seems poised to be a strong team in the upcoming season.

In the 2nd round, the Marlins selected goalie Doug Dimmadome who may lack in size; however, it makes up for much more in potential and ability. San Diego also took up a staunch defender in Lucifer Olivier Levesque. At 6'6", we're looking at one of the tallest players in this draft who can skate like an absolute dream.

In the 3rd round, San Diego selected Lester Green and Bjorn Wilhelm von Luxembourg. Green is a great defender but has yet to touch VHLM ice; however, his prowess was noted at the draft combine. Bjorn has been fantastic in the faceoff dot as well as a very rare playmaker, so San Diego lucks out there in the 3rd round.

In the 4th round, they land a strong Nathaniel N, who has yet to touch VHLM ice but has been noted as a robust physical defender who is capable of making a fantastic breakout pass.

In the 5th round, they select Mahin Ganeshathasan, who is an unknown talent from a small town in Canada. Nobody had heard of this guy, but there is a lot of positive words being given in regards to his overall play. In the 6th round, Logan Hoffman was selected who has been improving at a steady rate. 

:ott:Ottawa Lynx:ott:

Ottawa also did have an incredible draft, but I do believe they fall just short of both San Diego and the Marlins. However, they were winners in the draft by selecting some fantastic talent, so I couldn't not showcase them in this article. In the first round, they, too, did select three first-round picks. They chose Alec Volchenkov, who is looking like an absolute stud at 2nd overall, which his ability to be dangerous all over the ice as well as being defensively solid. They also selected Slovakian, S Kuchar, who is returning to Ottawa to play another season with them. He provided 23 points in 28 games, so he's already a fan favorite down there. Their last first-rounder was Jiggly Gumballs, who seems to have underperformed slightly in Houston. He looks like a fantastic addition to the team since everyone could see there is a ton of potential in Jiggly (especially since he's 5'10" and can hit like a freight train).

In the 2nd round, Ottawa decided to go with Jackson Philliefan at 16 overall and Lexi Glass at 18 overall. Lexi and Jackson both look poised for significant roles in Ottawa, considering Lexi is known back home as small yet deadly. Jackson, on the other hand, looks like a massive truck at 6'1" and 212 lbs with the ability to be a physical presence while also being able to move up the ice quickly.

Joromir Jogr and Theodore James St. Louis are the 3rd round picks for Ottawa, respectfully at 30th and 33rd. Joromir Jogr looks deadly at 6'3" and would look fantastic in Ottawa colors again. Theodore looks like excellent value in the 3rd round, considering he put up 36 points in 50 games last season, plus he's a tall yet lanky player.

Jaron Plotkin in the 4th also was quite great value. He would be returning to Ottawa as well, where he put up 11 points in 14 games. Quite decent return if you ask me. Plus, I'm told he's one of the hardest workers in the entire group, so there is some major shock to see him go this late.

In the 5th round, Lee Xin and Zachariah Kisslinger were excellent choices under the circumstances. Lee only played four games under Mississauga and put up absolute blanks but has been making significant strides. Some of the GM's were saying they were most impressed with his ability to train and improve in such a short time. Zachariah has also look impeccable as a pick as well. Sure, he doesn't work as strong as other players do, but he's got that natural nack that gets him into the right places at the right time.

In the 6th round, Ottawa has selected Yuri Steluvochenkov. Yuri is a player that has thrived in European ice but has yet to show his prowess here in the VHLM. There is a lot of hype for this young man.

Lastly, Keno Wolf, the 7th round pick. He could be an absolute monster or could be a bust. This pick seemed appropriate considering he is such a boom or bust player; however, there is tons of excitement to see Keno boom over in Ottawa.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:23 PM, Mrpenguin30 said:

Guess I didn't get drafted by SD no surprise I wasn't included since they are traded me away or whatever

sorry they traded you away........