King: VHL/VHLM Draft Statement

IamMOOSE

Well it’s official. Kevin King has been drafted in the second round, 19th overall to the Vancouver Wolves. He’ll be going into s73 as a member of the Miami Marauders of the VHLM and will be building towards the s74 season as his debut in the VHL. King’s journey from being out of hockey, to a returning threat is on the horizon. I will now turn this over to Kevin King for a statement on the last two days of drafts:

“I want to first take this time to thank @Spartan & @twists for my time in Las Vegas. It was a smooth introduction to this league, and I enjoyed every minute of my time in the uniform. Moving forward, I want to thank @Ricer13 and @Beaviss for their interest in me in both the VHLM and VHL drafts. It’s an honor to be a top 5 pick in the VHLM and to go within the top 20 in the VHL as a first-generation player. I am excited for the opportunity to play for the Miami Marauders (VHLM) and to in the future play for the Vancouver Wolves (VHL). As I have previously stated, my plan is to remain in the VHLM for the entirety of the s73 season, where I can continue to mature as a pro in the VHL system.”

“I now want to address some things that have been said in regard to my draft analysis. I am proud to be a 2nd round draftee, that said I’m not content. I don’t accept this 2nd line Center label, and I expect my production, drive, and activity to propel beyond many of my naysayers as I take my place on the top line one day in the VHL. I’ve seen the comments, I’ve read the reviews, I’m not content with those things, and I don’t feel I should be. Good is not good enough for me. Great isn’t what I’m aiming for it’d be settling. If I’m not working towards being elite then I shouldn’t be here. So, I will be elite. And I want the record to be shown that King was a missing opportunity for 15 other teams. 19th isn’t something to be ashamed of. It is 18 picks worth of a chip on my shoulder that I want to remind myself of what I’m playing for.”

“I will now open the floor to any questions.”

Q: Now that you’ve been drafted, what were your expectations for this draft? Were you higher or lower than you expected?

King: “I wasn’t really concerned with what team drafted me. I had some teams that seemed more interested than they ended up being. I’m not upset about. I want to use that to motivate me to be even better for the teams that did go with me. I feel I was drafted where I needed to be. I expected to go near the 20s high or low. This is about right.”

Q: Vancouver made some say, controversial moves in s72, are you at all worried you may end up moved for other pieces?

King: “I can’t worry about that too much. I would hope that as a top 20 selection they have plans to make me an integral part of the lineup. I do understand it’s a business though, and sometimes tough decisions have to be made to move guys/gals that maybe aren’t performing or are pieces that can be transferred in order to benefit the long term goals of the organization. So, I’m not worried about it. For now, I’ll lace up for Miami. Next season I plan to lace up for Vancouver. If that changes, I’ll change with it.”

Q: You’ve now been taken over Matty Socks in both drafts, does that make you a better player?

King: *laughs* “Absolutely. No, seriously, I don’t know what the logic is there. I know for Miami; they were back-to-back picks, so it really doesn’t mean anything. The VHL on the other hand is a different beast. Could be as simple as the need for Center at one position in the draft, and defense going the other way. You replay the draft 100 times; I doubt I go ahead of Socks. @fishy is a great personality and I’m happy to have gotten the opportunity to play a couple seasons as a teammate and I’m excited to see how she pans out in Chicago.”

Q: Last question: With so much expectation on Miami this season, what are you looking at most as your target for improvement?

King: “I want to hit 250 quickly and just bank as much as possible. I’m very excited to continue to grow and develop. I think an emphasis on offense and intangible things like Puck Handling and Faceoffs are important. I’m in a position to succeed if I continue to put the effort in, and I will.”

“Thank you all for you time.”