Laine eager for season in Miami, future in Helsinki

Laine

1214200682_PatrikLainePractice1.jpg.af83547b8ae2810a39bcc9666868f0cd.jpg

Laine (Pictured above) on the ice yesterday in Miami, Florida.

MIAMI - In 4 days, all VHLM and VHL training camps will open as the players prepare for another season, but no one is quite as excited as Patrik Laine of the Miami Marauders.

Laine, you may recall talked about potentially playing the VHL and was selected by his childhood team, the Helsinki Titans, 9th overall in the VHL Draft and since signed a 3-year entry level contract with them.

"It was just perfect that they were right in the range of where I was supposed to go, but I was prepared for anything" Said Laine, when asked about the draft "You gotta remember that just because a team talked to you doesn't mean they will pick you. The VHL is still a business. I would have been happy anywhere, but it was perfect that Jubo set me up financially and long term with a stable contract"

Laine may have been surprised by the Titans selecting him, but the biggest surprise for him came in the VHLM draft. He was widely expected to be the second overall pick, but his thoughts of going to the VHL scared a few teams off, so he fell all the way to the 5th round, where he was picked up by the Miami Marauders.

"I watched the Marauders pick me at my home in Finland and when they picked me, I knew that if I played in the VHLM this coming season, I would prove to the other 11 teams that could have picked me up in the 4th or 5th round that they made a huge mistake." Says Laine

1750294169_PatrikLainePractice3.thumb.jpg.21e8c6a85e33c633c35407ba0a5a3406.jpg

Laine (pictured above) participating in a high intensity drill at a Houston Bulls practice last season. Laine put up 59 points in 58 games with Houston last season.

"My decision to stay in the VHLM didn't come down to just me" said Laine, when asked about the choice to stay in Miami "I talked to Jubo after the draft last night and he told me they are already deep in forwards there, I would be playing only 3rd line minutes which wouldn't matter, but he told me I would develop better down in the M playing first line so it was an easy choice to listen to him. I grew up watching him and Helsinki so I trusted him."

The Founder's Cup, which was far out of Laine's grasp last season in Houston now seems closer then ever with Miami having a lot of superstars, but Laine says this doesn't change his approach or make things any easier.

"I know we have a good team with Dakota, Matty, Andre and Vic but the season hasn't begun yet and we have to work as hard as everyone. Star power doesn't mean anything unless you work hard. I'm just making sure I am the best player on the ice once the puck drops and hopefully we can go all the way this year. Still a long way out and I haven't played in the playoffs before but it would be a blast."

VHLM Training Camps will open in 4 days and Laine has already arrived in Miami.

Edited by PatrikLaine

Review

Great little close to the end of the Patrik Laine draft saga. It's one of the best individual stories of the S73 draft. General managers pay attention, and especially to their first round picks, when selecting players. I imagine you were slotted in the top 3 in the VHL before certain statements came out. If you're ever unsure of what the best course of action is, getting a second opinion is always the best thing to do. Which you did with Helsinki. I also think it's great that Helsinki's colours match the Jets. I'll give a quick review over the articles as a whole from this saga. Personal preference for me would be to have the font favour the left margin. You can center it when Laine is answering the questions. I find that when it's always center it looks a little funky. Loved the pictures. They were a little too big though. Putting them off to one side lets the reader read the article and have the picture in focus. So instead of scrolling through the picture to read the article, you can look at the picture for a few seconds and read. It was a great little read and I enjoyed being with you in the Houston locker room before you left! Can't wait to see you out on the ice. 

Score

Content: 9/10

Format: 7/10

Flow: 7/10

I loved this draft story from start to end. Just make the pictures a little smaller and put them off to the side, and make the text left leaning. Can't wait to see what other content you put out into the league!