The Terrible Trivium, a Scouting Report

With 76 points in 72 games, it would be easy to assume that 23-year-old winger The Terrible Trivium, who hails from the Mountains of Ignorance by way of Pitcairn, would be grinning ear to ear. "I could have had 300 points and I'd still be pissed," Trivium told reporters after the Minnesota Storm's second round playoff exit. "This is a team game, and we, as a team, failed."

The Terrible Trivium's mood did not improve heading into the VHL Entry Draft, and fully soured on draft night. "Don't get me wrong," he began one particular interview, "I'm absolutely thrilled to be heading to London United. Pitcairn is a British province, after all. But 31st overall? That's some bullshit. As a professional, you try to ignore the mock drafts, the punditry, and just focus on what you can do to make yourself the best player you can be, but I'd be lying if I said that I believe I was, at worst, an early second round pick." After taking a deep breath and straightening his green tweed jacket, he continued in a calmer, but still determined voice. "There are 15 other teams in this league that are going to be very, very disappointed by their decision in the years to come. I promise you that."

A38O8066_large.JPG

The Minnesota Storm leaving the ice disappointed in the second round of the VHLM playoffs.

So what is it that gives The Terrible Trivium such confidence? For starters, let's examine his strengths. As the season went on, he clearly put a heavy emphasis on cleaning up his play on the ice and taking a more disciplined approach to every shift. "A player can't score from the penalty box," a veteran scout commented, "and Trivium obviously learned that lesson early in his VHLM career. All you have to do is look at the numbers."

Hand in hand with being an asset to the Storm, who finished atop the league table in the regular season, Trivium is an excellent defensive player. "He's not going to step in and starting winning individual awards for his defensive play," a North American scout wrote, "but he will step in and not be a liability for whatever VHL team drafts him. His defensive play is probably his strongest suit."

"Finally, the VHL is a league that relies pretty heavily on offensive skill, and Trivium is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential," reads one late-season scouting report. "His 34 goals are impressive, and with 11 of them coming on the man advantage, it's easy to extrapolate how much this player thrives on set plays. That's not to say he lacks creativity, but his discipline on the ice leads him to not miss his mark in any third of the rink."

"Trivium is far from a perfect player," one dissenting scout commented a month before the VHL Draft. "He needs to improve his skating to be competitive at the next level, and his strength is frankly pathetic. He's a decent passer, but below average around the league. Maybe he puts it together, maybe he doesn't. Trivium is one of those classic High Floor, Low Ceiling players. He's a guaranteed VHLer, but the question is whether his career is one of a checking line winger, or a top line digger who gets points by doing all the little things right."

2020 NHL Entry Draft comparable: Anton Lundell on right wing

093db7ccabe6b7454793445d13821318_XL.jpg?fit=670%2C447&ssl=1