Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

1. We can't win them all and like fishy said maybe our luck ran out. But I'm sure we'll come back stronger than ever. 

2. Lidia cause he's being too IA right now or maybe even gorlab. Would love to see gorlab play golf cause he so tall, I'm quite unsure if there's any clubs that he can use.

3. Everyone! I want everyone to be back. Why do we have to choose?

4. I trust Lidia with his picks. He's done a lot to build chicago into the place it is and it's just proof that he can do miracles. 

5. I want to go New Zealand. I heard the place is insane with amazing views and cool weather. I've been there once as a kid but that place just calls my soul everytime.

6. Socks or L. Socks and his snappy roasts or jokes sometimes are just hilarious. Come on, everyone knows how L is, if u don't, oh no.

1. Well. That was awkward. What went wrong?

I hate to take the blame, but I forgot to make any good memes like I did when we won the cup last season. I feel like this was the downfall for us. Counting went good, but the memes did not.

1. Who's the first person you're going to take golfing, now that we're not playing hockey?

I am going to take R to the golf course for a nice relaxing round of 9 holes and maybe a few soda pops in the clubhouse afterwards.

1. We have a lot of unrestricted free agents this season, who would you like to see re-sign and make a return?

I am looking forward to the dynamic defensive duo of L and R returning to play for Chicago next season and beyond. Otherwise, idk, Nyko?

1. Chicago doesn't pick until the 3rd round this year. Do you think we'll be able to uncover some hidden talent with our late picks?

I think so. I did some scouting work earlier this season and told blazzy to write the names down. We should have at least like, 3 names written down. Hopefully they are still there in round 3. 

1. It's almost the offseason, which means it's almost vacation time. Where will you be spending our time off, in our COVID-free simulation world?

I will be spending 2 weeks in Jamaica having fun in the sun and enjoying the beach and cultural practices of the region.

1. Who's the funniest teammate you had all year, and why?

Tough call... It's a toss up between Mingle, Socks, and Xin. They are all pretty funny most of the time and Oferson ain't that funny at all tbh. 

Well. That was awkward. What went wrong?

LA's depth maybe?  Also worth noting there was no firecat posting.

Who's the first person you're going to take golfing, now that we're not playing hockey?

Myself.  I need to be alone after JPC's playoff performances, and also because I don't want anyone seeing how bad I am at golf.  I haven't played since, like, middle school/early high school and I wasn't strong enough to drive the ball very far back then.

We have a lot of unrestricted free agents this season, who would you like to see re-sign and make a return?

All of them because I like it here.  I mean, ideally it'd be nice to get the depth from S75 back but I don't wanna be the guy to say that I don't want people to be my teammate any more because that seems mean.

Chicago doesn't pick until the 3rd round this year. Do you think we'll be able to uncover some hidden talent with our late picks?

Talent would be nice, but I'd like a funny name personally.  I feel like with where our team is development-wise it'd be hard to make place for a prospect.  Unless Geojeff is planning to rebuild the team and trade all of us away.

It's almost the offseason, which means it's almost vacation time. Where will you be spending our time off, in our COVID-free simulation world?

At this point I don't even know anymore.  I guess I would go somewhere that's warm and would be unlikely to have anything hockey-related going on.  Gotta have an escape.  The Caribbean sounds nice.  Also on a different note I've always wanted to see a national park so maybe somewhere like Yosemite?

Who's the funniest teammate you had all year, and why?

I can't pick one person in particular.  I feel like everyone else has got the dynamic of the locker room down in their previous answers so it's hard to really build on that.  There's not really one particular person who's the funniest, sometimes there's one person who drives the conversation but I think overall it's the team atmosphere that's great here.

9Xbz7ij.png.cfcf79c25725e5d5c1a6e6e7bfd61eca.png

CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE

ANSWER 6 FOR 2 TPE; 3 FOR 1 TPE

1. Which ocean would you want to sail across? And with what type of vehicle would you use to do so?

2. It's now the offseason. What could we have done better?

3. If there was one thing you could tell your parents/loved ones, what would it be?

4. Are you a white light or yellow light person?

5. Do you keep up with your flu shots every year before the flu season starts?

6. Have you ever came across someone that really made an impact on you? If yes, who was it? 

7 minutes ago, Blazzer said:

1. Which ocean would you want to sail across? And with what type of vehicle would you use to do so?

3. If there was one thing you could tell your parents/loved ones, what would it be?

6. Have you ever came across someone that really made an impact on you? If yes, who was it? 

1. Indian Ocean seems heavily underrated, maybe in one of those like hydro planes that can land on water

2. I think it's more what @Kylradcould have done better

3. I love you

4. I don't understand how people are yellow light people, it's just so depressing

5. Nope, haven't got one since H1N1 a while ago

6. @Renomitsu :)

why sail? i swim

idk we prolly coulda played better, but it's over now. onto the next challenge!

that they are a loved one. i think i'm usually pretty good at making sure that the people i love know that.

as bad as they are for the environment, the yellow ones. white lights are too aggressive

before last year, i hadn't gotten a flu shot since i was in elementary school. i only got it last year because my school required me to

the other day, i heard someone say something along the lines of, "you are a mosaic of every person you've ever met." i think the people that i love (in all forms: my friends, family, etc.) have made me who i am today. i am thankful to all of them for it

Either the Indian or the Atlantic for me.  Arctic is too cold, obviously, and I think the Pacific is too big (it gets really remote in some places, which I think would make me uncomfortable.  And I refuse to acknowledge the "Southern Ocean".  I think I'd go with the Indian since I'm already familiar with the Atlantic.  And I'd probably choose some sort of small yacht.  99% of the time, I think yachts are needlessly ostentatious and stupid but in this case it'd be useful because for such a long trip I'd want to have some kind of interior that feels like a home rather than just a sailboat.  Maybe a houseboat?

A lot.  I think our team was built really well but the performances just weren't there, particularly in net because we lost a lot of games where we outshot our opponents.  

That I care about them and appreciate them.  I think they know that but I do owe a lot to them and I like people to know that I'm grateful for what they do for me.  

I've honestly not thought too much about that.  White light can be a bit much sometimes, but I think each one has its place.  

Not too often.  I got one about two years ago I think though?  I feel like that's something I should do.

I tried and failed to come up with a jokey answer here because I can't come up with a real one, so instead I'll just choose the cop out answer and say I don't know.  I would say I'm fairly empathetic, so people do have an impact on me, but I don't ever have one story that changed my viewpoint on life immediately.  I feel like it happens slower than that for me.  Or maybe I'm just too young and that hasn't happened yet.  Who knows, really.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, Blazzer said:

1. Which ocean would you want to sail across? And with what type of vehicle would you use to do so? The Pacific, the Atlantic the Baltic all the Seas ! I'd probably do it on a Jet ski.

Been more cohesive , I could have been a better captain, no captain lets his team down , my absence im discord and the forum , TBH I'm a free agent now , and @JeffDyou know me and you know my dedication is real , I would love nothing more than a 2nd chance to learn from my mistakes ( IRL has been horrible , my pregnant wife has been medivaced to Toronto , her father passed away a month ago , we moved into a new home and trying to find work post grad has had me very anxious and sick)

That you are all so important to me and explain to each of them I detail how much they have impacted my life and how they single handedly changed me from the core 

What the heck is the difference ? I only know of light didn't know there was yellow or white or WTH that means lol

Fuck yes ! 

IRL or online ? Because every one and especially a special handful of people on VHL have changed my life and are people who have given me more purpose and made me feel like I belong and am valued which very much affects and controls my mental health  

Tough call, but I think I would sail across the Atlantic in a luxury cruise yacht stocked with the finest marijuana money could buy. 

I think I should have made more memes, or at least 1 meme, for our series against whoever we lost to... I can't even remember at this point because the focus has shifted to S78. 

Invest your money and always wear a condom when messing around with hoes. 

I think I'm both. I prefer white light in like, images/art but I think I prefer to chill in yellow light settings irl. If I had to choose one.... White light. 

No. I do not get flu shots every year. I think the last time I got one was in high school over 10+ years ago. 

In VHL? Yes, a few people who I'm not going to name and shame. In life, there's been a few friends and teachers in the past, but I can't think of any specific instance where a person really left a lasting impact on me. 

1. NHL playoffs are also right around the corner. Any specific matchups you are expecting or any matchup you would like to see?

2. What game are you incredibly good at? PC games, mobile games, drinking games etc.

3. Who's the one teammate that you definitely can win a bet against, no doubt?

4. The conditioning coach offers you pizza, beer, and fries, what do you do? Do you accept it or is it a trap?

5. The current management team has been in charge for a few seasons now. How are they doing and what can they improve on?

6. What's the one place you often visited pre-covid times?

Edited by Blazzer

1. I don’t watch NHL and I’m like 99% sure the Kings aren’t in the playoffs so idrc.

2. I am good at playing the board game (and I guess app but I don’t have it) RISK.

3.  That would be myself 100%. I would be the guy to bet against myself then lose.

4. I call the police because I’m under 21.

5. I have been in the LC and the team for like less than a day so I wouldn’t know.

6. It’s definitely Chicago every winter (no joke)

1. NHL playoffs are also right around the corner. Any specific matchups you are expecting or any matchup you would like to see?

I didn't even know we were in the playoffs. I've only watched like 4 games this season. I'm a bad fan

2. What game are you incredibly good at? PC games, mobile games, drinking games etc.

I'm very good at 1v1 four coloxrs. @hylands you better watch ur back bro, i'm coming for you. i'll 1v1 ur ass to the death

I mean, it depends on the bet. What are we talkin here?

4. The conditioning coach offers you pizza, beer, and fries, what do you do? Do you accept it or is it a trap?

All I'm saying is that you can't offer me french fries and expect me to say no???? I don't care if it's a trap. That's like asking a question and getting mad at someone for how they answered. complete bullshit

5. The current management team has been in charge for a few seasons now. How are they doing and what can they improve on?

I think management is doing a great job. I'm happy, other people are happy, that's what matters.

Cedar Point!!! i miss the amusement park scene 😕

2 hours ago, Blazzer said:

1. NHL playoffs are also right around the corner. Any specific matchups you are expecting or any matchup you would like to see? I am excited for the Montréal vs Toronto series. I am a Canadiens fan and  this is a dream match up.

2. What game are you incredibly good at? PC games, mobile games, drinking games etc. I am good at sports games on console. Nhl, FIFA, Madden, MLB the show, are some of the games I’m pretty decent at.

3. Who's the one teammate that you definitely can win a bet against, no doubt? I’m not much of a better because I usually lose the bets lol, so probably any of my team mates would beat me.

4. The conditioning coach offers you pizza, beer, and fries, what do you do? Do you accept it or is it a trap? I would accept it graciously, who doesn’t love beer, pizza, and fries. Conditioning coach must want me to bulk up.

5. The current management team has been in charge for a few seasons now. How are they doing and what can they improve on? This is my first season here but from what I can see if that management has a winning attitude and are making the right decisions to win.

6. What's the one place you often visited pre-covid times? I used to go to the mall often, but since COVID started they have been shut down for the most part.

5 hours ago, Blazzer said:

1. Well the Canucks vs. Flames matchup is very exciting

2. You would say im good at valorant, @Kylradwould say i suck at league

3. @Kylradis scared to 1v1 me Mundo Dodgeball, so I'd definitely beat him and he knows it

4. Pizza and beer is a trap for sure, I'd take the fries though

5. Seems like the AGM is trying her best to carry the GM

6. School

Obviously looking forward to Toronto v Montreal. The Florida series looks like it'll be a fun ride, and the Boston v Washington series is looking like that'll be one that really grinds down whichever team comes out on top.

Hmm..I don't know if I'm incredibly good at any games lol. I guess I'm pretty good at sports games? I'm much better at actually playing sports than video games though hahah

Depends what type of bet we're talking, but I also don't do bets because either I lose, and I don't like that, or I'm beating a friend and I don't want to do that, either.

Fuck it, I take em all and enjoy my night. Can always hit the gym the next day, can't make up for lost nights.

We've made a surprise run to the Semi Finals, won a Cup, and had what was arguably the best team on paper last season, losing to a lucky Los Angeles team (if they don't beat us, do we lose in the Division series?). I say they've done a pretty good job at building more than just a team here.

I mean, other than friends' houses, maybe the movies or mall? I guess the gym, but I've now got a pretty solid home setup, so doubt I'll actually be going back to public gyms even when they do open.

I'm expecting a Colorado vs Vegas series in round 2 to throw some dissent into the Chicago locker room. Blazzy & Sonnet vs Gorlab sounds like a spicy series. 

I am a monster at Team Fortress 2. Battle engineer legend. My widowmaker has 20k bodies on it. I also used to be the best Alistar in NA region in league of legends, circa S3-S4 back in 2015/16.

Tough to say but I would probably go with @fishyor @Quikand bet them that they won't like something I posted in VHL general discord. 

It depends if I have smoked a pack with the conditioning coach in the past. If he's a smoker, I trust him. If he's anti-smoke, I don't trust him.

I think they are doing quite well. Any time you deliver a cup, it earns you at least the next 5 seasons to try and get another one. IMO only improvement I can think of is not trading away 1st and 2nd round picks maybe? Tough to say.

Fuddruckers in Saskatoon. I have not been there since March 2020 but I think I'm going to go some time this summer. 

1. NHL playoffs are also right around the corner. Any specific matchups you are expecting or any matchup you would like to see?

I don't even watch hockey! So no, there aren't really any specific matchups I would like to see. Whatever makes the playoffs go by faster so I can actually understand the conversations in discord general chat.

I don't think I'm "incredibly good" at any game really. I'm kinda decent at FIFA, I guess if Jeopardy on discord counts then I'm pretty good at that. To be honest video games for me are just something I like to have fun with, so while being bad can be frustrating I'm not too worried about being incredible at them.

Gorlab. Not because I'm better at betting than him, but because he makes so many bets that logically he'll have to lose one.

4. The conditioning coach offers you pizza, beer, and fries, what do you do? Do you accept it or is it a trap?

Of course I take it. If they get angry at me then it's stupid. Not a very good way to build up trust between a coach and a player, is it?

They could improve by Jeff being less inactive. /s

But seriously, there really isn't much to be improved upon in my opinion. I think you two have done a great job and I'm really happy with both this team's competitiveness and the environment that has come about in the locker room.

That's tough. There is one friend whose house I'd visit a lot so we could hang out, so that's one. I didn't go to the movies too often but that's definitely a place I'd like to go more often once COVID dies down - there are a lot of things that I feel like I took for granted before all of this happened.

5 hours ago, solas said:

I don't even watch hockey! So no, there aren't really any specific matchups I would like to see. Whatever makes the playoffs go by faster so I can actually understand the conversations in discord general chat.

mood

1. Chicago is in a little slump right now and can't seem to win as often as we did before. What can we do to change this?

2. What is one thing you'd tell to a newer member to the league?

3. Which EU team would you like to see come back for the VHLE? 

4. Who should be given a chance to GM the new VHLE league?

5. Which line would you say has been the driving force for the team thus far?

6. Should we chase Lidia for the captain post on the VHL team announcement or should we just let it slide? 

1. Just ride it out, or if you are feeling lucky, mess with the lines a little. In Miami (VHLM) last szn, same thing happened, and after we rode out the bumps, we were the best team in the VHLM. 

2. If you mean league by VHL I can’t be newer, if you mean any league then I would say to keep steadily earning TPE, and to keep your DF up high.

3. I would want whatever the community wants, I just joined in S75, I have no idea what to really do at all.

(I’m only going 3 questions this time because I have no idea for the last 3 for what to put there)

1. Chicago is in a little slump right now and can't seem to win as often as we did before. What can we do to change this?

Well hopefully switching up the lines helps. Would be nice to see some better performances from our goalie, whoever that guy is 🥴

2. What is one thing you'd tell to a newer member to the league?

Man, there are a couple things. Don't get too worried about trying to be the best player of all time right away. It's nice to have that ambition, and I'm not going to tell you to not shoot for it, but at the same time you shouldn't be disappointed when your player isn't amazing. STHS can be fickle sometimes, so your hard work might not be rewarded all the time. And I don't mean this in an old-boys-club-just-wait-until-you're-on-your-tenth-player kind of way, I mean try to just enjoy what you can because the sim is out of your control. Whatever it is that attracts you to the league, keep focusing on that. Because there's a lot of fun stuff to do here. And if it's not for you, it's not for you. That's fine.

Vasteras, although I suspect my avatar gives that away. If Vasteras doesn't come back I will burn this league to the ground. The team honestly really matters to me (at least as much as a fictional team in a fake hockey league can, so it's not that important) and if there's a legitimate to finally turn around the perception and actually win something with the Iron Eagles it would make me very happy.

This is a really tough one because I'm unfamiliar with who the people are that would want VHLE GM jobs. I considered applying just for Vasteras myself but at this point I am probably the last person who "should be given a chance" because of how long I've been here. Instead I'll give a generic answer and say two groups of people should be considered the most: 1) VHLM GMs who want to have a new challenge and 2) people without management experience who are more interested in a competitive environment rather than the learning-based one of the VHLM (or just haven't had VHLM opportunities). Although on the second one, I would add that if they want to be a future VHL GM I would say that some VHLM involvement should be considered. Not because it directly translates, but because being a GM should be more than just bringing in players and making moves; you should be building a good environment in the locker room, being welcoming to newer members, and just being helpful overall. We've had some GMs in the past, back when nobody wanted to be a GM, who didn't really have this interest in mind. I think the newer crop of GMs since the big recruitment classes of the 60s have been really different in this regard - maybe both because a lot of them started in the VHLM, maybe because they have a more recent experience of being a newer member.  

Either way this was wayyyyy too long of an answer and I kind of got off track so I'm gonna wrap it up lmfao.

5. Which line would you say has been the driving force for the team thus far?

Well it certainly seems like it's been the first line because sadly the second line isn't doing as well. 

6. Should we chase Lidia for the captain post on the VHL team announcement or should we just let it slide?

Do it! At this point I imagine everyone who was going to vote has done it already so there's no reason to not announce it other than to be annoying. I always like when teams announce the captains every year.

Give Lee Xin more minutes IMO, the awoken one will lead us to ez playoff birth.

2. What is one thing you'd tell to a newer member to the league?

Don't say anything that isn't suitable for a kindergarten classroom to hear, because there are a ton of snowflakes who get offended at the littlest thing.

Probably Bratislava Watchmen OR Bern Royals because I used to play on those teams way back in S40-S50 era.

Somebody who isn't a little liberal crybaby who soils themselves at the slightest indication of conflict or adult language.

5. Which line would you say has been the driving force for the team thus far?

Whatever line Lee Xin is on. THE AWOKEN ONE will lead us to ez playoff birth and hopefully get a long awaited award too.

I abide by Lidia's way to do things so I am content with letting it slide. If anything we need lower screamer prices on stream.

1. Describe your ideal sandwich

2. We've been in the league for a while time now and I think it's time we do this. Which team would be the rivals of the Chicago Phoenix? 

3. Should the team host a game night or a movie night? What game/movie would you choose?

4. If you were put in charge of something for a day, what would you like that to be and what would you change or do?

5. What are your thoughts on the league right now? Are there enough people joining or do we need more? Are there any improvements that could be made?

6. We're gonna talk about some emotions here. How are you doing right now? 

12 minutes ago, Blazzer said:

1. Describe your ideal sandwich

2. We've been in the league for a while time now and I think it's time we do this. Which team would be the rivals of the Chicago Phoenix? 

3. Should the team host a game night or a movie night? What game/movie would you choose?

4. If you were put in charge of something for a day, what would you like that to be and what would you change or do?

5. What are your thoughts on the league right now? Are there enough people joining or do we need more? Are there any improvements that could be made?

6. We're gonna talk about some emotions here. How are you doing right now? 

1. Two buns, a sausage between them, maybe some ketchup and mustard on top

2. We are too good for rivals

3. Yeah a movie night sounds fun, as long as @Enorama isn't invited

4. If I was put in charge of this franchise for a day I would fire Jeff and keep him as far from the team as possible

5. I think it's kind of getting boring? A distinct scoring meta is emerging, and I think if you want to be effective you either have to make a goalie or make the same exact player as everyone else

6. Well I was very sad to hear that sloths could starve to death on a full stomach