Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

1 hour ago, fishy said:

another week, another press conference from fishy because i like earning early in the week

intended for week ending jan. 3 (also holy wow??? january?/?? already?????????)

2 TPE for answering 6 questions, 1 TPE for answering 3 questions.

1. What are your thoughts on Chicago and our playoff progress as it currently stands? 

2. Is your player a morning person or a night owl? Why?

3. Do you believe in New Year's Resolutions? If so, what's something on your list?

4. How have you been recovering from the murder of our counting streak in the Discord?

5. Which player (not user) do you think is getting hammered alone on NYE this year?

6. Who's someone in the league that you haven't really interacted with but would like to?

7. What's your favorite thing about yourself today? 

1. Chicago won their wild card series, so that's pretty cool. Right now in Saskatoon we are down 3-2, after surviving a "must-win" game today.

2. Night owl, I suppose. In real life I often advise people that to improve their health and fitness, they should drink less alcohol, and get more sleep. Unfortunately I am pretty bad at taking my own advice.

3. I'm not a New Year's Resolution guy, if you want to make a change in your life, make it for yourself, not for some sort of arbitrary calendar event. That said, it wouldn't kill me to exercise more.

4. I am a broken man. I will lay waste to the VHL and anyone who has ever even heard of the VHL, leaving naught but devastation in my wake. Hey but also it was fun to not be the person that fucked up counting for a change.

5. Wow, I feel personally attacked. Well I mean, my wife and kids will be in the house, but they'll be sleeping.

6. All y'all motherfuckers in Chicago, I'm only starting to get active in the Chicago LR

7. I gave myself and my older son both haircuts today. It went... okay. Luckily I'm balding and married with children, so I don't really have anyone to impress. My son? Well, he's not quite old enough to be vain yet.

11 hours ago, Quik said:

1. Seems like a weird thing to have a least favourite colour, but I’ll go with mauve? Idk it’s got a weird name. 

2. I was like 13 and made my username Quiksilver for the first sim league I joined, think I was going thru a skater phase lol. Shortened it to Quik and it’s just stuck

3. Cooking elaborate meals. Too time consuming to do regularly, but great on certain occasions. 

4. My right ring finger. Seems like the least necessary one, I think. 

5. Christmas. At home with my fiancée. Was quite nice just being the two of us rather than going to all the family houses. 

6. This is a tough one. I don’t know, and not in a I hate myself way, I just don’t have an answer to this lol

1. Fuck Seattle. Chicago kids showing what we’re made of. 

2. Mingle is a night owl, for reasons I don’t think need explaining. 

3. No. Set goals whenever you believe they need to be set, and follow through on them. New year new me is a bs saying. 

4. If I ever meet Hogan in real life he might, to quote @gorlab, catch a fade. 

5. Why not brown player? Yeesh fishy. Probably Jeff Downey because @JeffD is a boomer who will get drunk at 6 then pass out. 

6. Kinda not really answering this question but @Spade18, feels weird to not have him on the discord. 

7. ...

oh I wish I could be as active as I used to be. Both on here and on the discord.

Unfortunately I work for a company that I am buying from the owner within the next 5 years, but we got rid of like 3 staff members.... and then covid hit, and more people did not come back (including the guy who was supposed to be my business partner.... so talk about a dodged bullet there)  which means it falls to ya boy to pick up a lot of the slack.  On top of that, I herniated a disk in my back all the way back in May which still hasn't ever really healed, so time and energy aren't exactly plentiful right now.

One day I hope to come back here more in full fledge.  I would like to give being a VHL GM another shot as I got the Americans at the end of their run and never really got to go through the rebuild that I set up for the franchise before life started kicking my ass.  But unfortunately, those are all plans for the future right now, so I check in once a day and do my pension plan until I can come back and make you guys wish I was only semi-active again!

Edited by Spade18

5 hours ago, Spade18 said:

oh I wish I could be as active as I used to be. Both on here and on the discord.

Unfortunately I work for a company that I am buying from the owner within the next 5 years, but we got rid of like 3 staff members.... and then covid hit, and more people did not come back (including the guy who was supposed to be my business partner.... so talk about a dodged bullet there)  which means it falls to ya boy to pick up a lot of the slack.  On top of that, I herniated a disk in my back all the way back in May which still hasn't ever really healed, so time and energy aren't exactly plentiful right now.

One day I hope to come back here more in full fledge.  I would like to give being a VHL GM another shot as I got the Americans at the end of their run and never really got to go through the rebuild that I set up for the franchise before life started kicking my ass.  But unfortunately, those are all plans for the future right now, so I check in once a day and do my pension plan until I can come back and make you guys wish I was only semi-active again!

Oh, I know man, I just miss ya bud, that’s all. But, of course life comes first and I’m happy that you’ve got things sorted and are working towards your goals, that’s amazing!

1. What are your thoughts on Chicago and our playoff progress as it currently stands? 

Obviously I'll be disappointed if we lose Game 7 against Calgary but I'm thrilled that we made it this far.  We've still got a bunch of seasons left for the key players our team is built around and I think this success in our first playoff appearance is a great start for the future.

JP Camus would probably be a morning person.  I imagine he's one of those insane people who wakes up at like 4AM to work out or some shit like that.

3. Do you believe in New Year's Resolutions? If so, what's something on your list?

I mean I don't, but if it helps someone do something or improve themselves then I can't really object.  If I had one, though, it would probably to be more social in 2021 since I tend to keep to myself irl.

4. How have you been recovering from the murder of our counting streak in the Discord?

To be honest I wasn't that invested in the streak itself, I just had fun keeping it going with the rest of the locker room.  The real counting streak, one might say, was the friends we made along the way.

5. Which player (not user) do you think is getting hammered alone on NYE this year?

Jeff Downey.  Probably doesn't get along with any of his Chicago teammates since he's so much older than them.  Boomer.

6. Who's someone in the league that you haven't really interacted with but would like to?

This is a really good question honestly.  It used to be @Quik but we're teammates now so that's changed - I think a while ago he said to me that our most active seasons in the league were basically opposites of each other.  Overall it's kind of tough because I've been around a while so I know almost everyone who's a more veteran member (at least superficially).  And I've gotten to know some relatively newer members via Discord.  So it's tough to come up with people I haven't really interacted with that I'd like to get to know but there are definitely some.  Maybe Spartan?  Or Berocka?  There are also a bunch of people that I kind of "know" but want to be teammates with some time.

Edited by solas

I'm extremely happy with our progress this season. We are a real threat to win the cup way ahead of schedule.

Night owl. I like the solitude that comes with staying up all night. You can (mostly) do your own thing and not be bothered by others.

I would like to see a 10%+ growth in my investment portfolio over the 2021 fiscal year.

I have been too upset to speak with Hogan over his thoughtless actions. Otherwise I'm fine.

5. What player (not user) do you think is getting hammered alone on NYE this year?

Can I answer Jeff Downey for both player AND user?  Kidding. I'd probably say Taro Tsujimoto because Davos has nothing to do.

A graphic designer by the user name of enigmatic. I respect their graphic skills and hope I would get along with them!

7. What's your favorite thing about yourself today? 

Since I was up all night, I went out at 5am and shovelled the sidewalk for myself and my neighbours.... Okay that was last week but I'm still riding the high from it. 

I'm on my way back to school, so what better to do than dish out some questions for a press conference!!! I can't figure out how to center this on mobile, so you'll just have to cry about it if pc formatting is the hill you're dying on. :)

As always: you can answer 3 questions for 1 TPE, 6 questions for 2 TPE

1. How'd you bring in the New Year? Anything exciting? 

2. What's your favorite game at the moment? If you don't play games often, then what've you been filling your "you time" with?

3. What good thoughts will you be bringing to our team group-think session? 

4. What attributes are you focusing on as we face off against DC in the conference finals? 

5. Which opposing team member are you focused most on stopping? 

6. Who do you think is going to come out on top in the EU conference, Moscow or Malmo?

Unfortunately not. It was a very quiet night to be honest. I think next NYE will be much bigger.

2. What's your favorite game at the moment? If you don't play games often, then what've you been filling your "you time" with?

I don't have a ton of time to game(PC) at the moment. When I get any extended break, I'll probably buy a few newer titles and get into it. AC Valhalla will probably be first.

As I'm not currently on the Chicago roster or in the LR, I don't think that I'll be contributing very much at all.

4. What attributes are you focusing on as we face off against DC in the conference finals? 

If I was a member of the Phoenix, I'd be continuing with your current lines and strats. It's worked well so far and at 1-1 it's hardly time to make changes.

The only member I'm focused on right now is the Vancouver GM. I'm focused on preventing him drafting me.

6. Who do you think is going to come out on top in the EU conference, Moscow or Malmo?

I think Moscow could get their sh*t together and put Malmo away. But they'd better be quick about it.

Better than expected and pretty good so far

a night owl, mornings suck, night is good

I don't really ever make New Year's Resolutions unless I had to in school but I do believe in the idea of setting or goal or something to work towards in the new year, just never really consciously do it that often

Hard, it was a travesty, all my hard work contributing to it one time, but we'll recover and I contributed another one time so I can still take credit
5. Which player (not user) do you think is getting hammered alone on NYE this year?

R is getting hammered alone on NYE since he got lost in Ukraine by himself

McWolf, he's my favorite 

Edited by Kylrad

On 1/4/2021 at 1:03 AM, fishy said:

1. I stayed up till midnight to wish boot, Berocka and boom so that's what happened.

2. Youtube. Lots of smosh cause it's funny

3. firecat is the only cat that needs to exist. 

4. Scoring cause Xin is a lazy ass who can't hit the net. 

5. The goalie. Coach says crash the net so I crash the goalie. 

6. Moscow. Looking forward to have the wildcard in the final.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, fishy said:

1. Went for a long walk with my older son (who is 7) and played Pokemon Go. Drank a liter of champagne out of a travel mug while on the walk because I'm cool like that. Let him stay up as late as he wanted - he made it until 11:15. 

2. Been playing Grim Dawn, an action RPG kind of like Diablo. Other than that, Day of Infamy, a WW2 shooter. I should be something some flight sim stuff in DCS, but I haven't had the energy.

3. Positive vibes man. Negative energy would just harsh my chill. 

4. My season is finished, but I'm going to have 40 or 50 TPE to unbank once I get called up, haven't thought about how I'll spend it yet.

5. I just found out that I've been selected for Team Canada at the junior championship, so I am hereby putting the entire rest of the planet on notice. Except the Netherlands, you guys are cool.

6. The mighty Red Army will, as always, defeat the evil forces of capitalism.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, fishy said:

I'm on my way back to school, so what better to do than dish out some questions for a press conference!!! I can't figure out how to center this on mobile, so you'll just have to cry about it if pc formatting is the hill you're dying on. :)

1. Not really! Just chilling with friends watching the world juniors

2. csgo unfortunately haha

3. I brought our will into question and made sure we were all on the same page when it came to winning

4. I was mostly focusing on shooting, as that's what my team has relied on me for.

5. That darn goalie

6. I thought Moscow, they seem pretty insane.

Nope.  To be honest I don't think I've ever really gone to a New Year party or anything, but this year in particular I don't think I'd be going anywhere regardless because of COVID.  So I just kind of relaxed at home, which I don't mind.

As of late I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR).  I'm not a huge MMO guy, so I mostly just play it for the story and because I'm a big Star Wars fan (in particular the Old Republic era).  It has its issues, but I still really enjoy it and am starting to get further into the expansions now.  

Well unfortunately I'm answering this after Game 7 against DC, so I guess it's my fault that we lost.  If I had been a part of it beforehand, I definitely would've been thinking of NOT letting in four goals in the second period.  But now I'll just be thinking about future playoff success (and maybe a Shaw or two).  

Well I was just focusing on getting the core goalie attributes (RB/SC/HS/RT) all to 90, which I've done now.  For the future I'm probably going to be looking at SZ to 90, then SK and AG for a little bit, then back to the main four.  

Probably Guy Lesieur since he led the VHL in goals in the regular season.  Unfortunately it didn't work because he had two goals in Game 7.

Well with the benefit of hindsight I can now saw Malmo.  I did however think that Moscow were going to come out on top, they had a really nice team with Lahtinen/Davis/Letang/Bernard as the core.  I'm happy for Malmo though!

Nope, treated it like any other night. Loud smoking and relaxing.

Team Fortress 2. It's a 15 year old FPS but has a dedicated community, but many problems. Nostalgic game for me.

I will be experimenting with visualizing counting breakthroughs which take the CHI discord to top 10 counting server in the world.

I was keeping my build the same because I thought L was playing well.... Probably a mistake.

Enorama if he has a player. If not, it's probably BENNY GRAVES their strongest forward.

Malmo, because they did like 3-5 days ago. Sorry to my Moscow friends!

On 1/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, fishy said:

1. It was fun, went to a party with friends.

2. Binge watching Naruto Shippuden.

3. Earning well, and keeping up the hard work.

4. Probably my passing abilities.

5. Nobody really, doing my own thing.

6. Moscow, for sure.

Hello everyone.  Looks like the job of asking questions is falling to me this week.  Here goes nothing...

1) Malmo won their first-ever cup yesterday after defeating DC in Game 6.  Who were you rooting for in the finals and what were your thoughts on the result?

2) Now that the offseason has started, there have been a bunch of trades.  Do you think there will be more to come?

3) Speaking of trades, Chicago added Kyl Oferson and Lucas Brandt to the team recently.  How do you feel about these acquisitions?

4) The Season 76 draft is coming up on Friday.  We don't have a first round pick (thanks @JeffD), but if we did are there any prospects you'd want us to draft?

5) What are your thoughts on the next season?  Do you think we can build on our playoff success?

6) The world is still chaotic. What's something that you're looking forward to, or something you feel grateful for right now?

1 hour ago, solas said:

Hello everyone.  Looks like the job of asking questions is falling to me this week.  Here goes nothing...

1) Malmo won their first-ever cup yesterday after defeating DC in Game 6.  Who were you rooting for in the finals and what were your thoughts on the result?

2) Now that the offseason has started, there have been a bunch of trades.  Do you think there will be more to come?

3) Speaking of trades, Chicago added Kyl Oferson and Lucas Brandt to the team recently.  How do you feel about these acquisitions?

4) The Season 76 draft is coming up on Friday.  We don't have a first round pick (thanks @JeffD), but if we did are there any prospects you'd want us to draft?

5) What are your thoughts on the next season?  Do you think we can build on our playoff success?

6) The world is still chaotic. What's something that you're looking forward to, or something you feel grateful for right now?

1. I was rooting for Malmo, I can’t get behind cheering for the team that beat us. Also honorary Phoenix Chicago Hylands was killing it, happy for him to get that Chip. 

2. I think we’ll likely see few more moves, but it feels like the dam broke with the off-season starting and we’re probably not gonna see a ton more action, at least not compared to the past 24 hours. 

3. What’s not to like? Oferson is one of the top forwards in the league, adding him to this group that’s growing can only help push us forward after our fantastic breakout season. Brandt is an enigmatic personality, but his skill on the ice is undeniable and there’s a big hole opening up on our back end that anyone we draft won’t be able to fill - With Socks stepping into the 1D role, LB will give us a stronger pool of depth behind him with L and R. 

4. To be honest, I’d probably be looking to move the pick. Not that there’s anything wrong with this draft class, but we’ve got our group to build around for the next few seasons, and it’ll be hard to incorporate new draftees while trying to move from building to contention. As we’ve seen with teams having to sell players before they like, sometimes too much depth can be a bad thing. 

5. I already kind of touched on this, but with the additions we’ve made, plus the internal growth, I think the sky’s the limit for us right now. These next couple seasons will be huge with some of the younger players progressing into veteran/leadership roles. Socks took a huge step forward this season and I expect him to be in contention for the top D for the foreseeable future. Xin wasn’t happy with his production, but has done nothing but put in work and looks primed for a breakout season. L and R on the back end, going into their sophomore seasons after fantastic rookie campaigns. Camus showing he can be elite and among the top tendies in the league. And that’s not to mention some guys like Syreck and Squirelly Dan, who are practically fixtures at this point. It’s an exciting time to be a Phoenix player!

6. I’m looking forward to the next couple of Wednesdays, for very different reasons lol. 

music video fire GIF

1) Malmo won their first-ever cup yesterday after defeating DC in Game 6.  Who were you rooting for in the finals and what were your thoughts on the result?

Honestly, I would have been cool with either DC or Malmo winning the series. I wasn't necessarily rooting for anyone, I was mostly just rooting against Moscow for the entirety of the playoffs. 

2) Now that the offseason has started, there have been a bunch of trades.  Do you think there will be more to come?

I'm guessing they've probably slowed down by now. Similar to what Quik said, I think that most of the off-season trades probably happened in that short period, which means that there probably won't be too many more. 

3) Speaking of trades, Chicago added Kyl Oferson and Lucas Brandt to the team recently.  How do you feel about these acquisitions?

I was admittedly pretty surprised to see us acquiring Brandt, but I think that he'll be a nice addition to the defensive core. It'll be nice if we can finally drop that inactive defensemen whose only updates for the months have been depreciation. Oferson, now the highest-TPE player on Chicago's team, is going to have an interesting season. I'm curious to see how he's going to play with our team-veteran forwards, who admittedly haven't had the best chemistry. Hopefully Oferson will be able to offset whatever was throwing that top line out of balance. 

4) The Season 76 draft is coming up on Friday.  We don't have a first round pick (thanks @JeffD), but if we did are there any prospects you'd want us to draft?

There are some really solid players up for grabs in the first round this draft, but at this point, I'm not sure where our need would be. It'd be great to see some of our inactive slots be overtaken by folks who are active in the league, but for now, I think it'd be most wise to get a lower pick or trade it for next season. We've got our squad for S76 lined up and I have high hopes. 

5) What are your thoughts on the next season?  Do you think we can build on our playoff success?

Considering the success we had without Oferson and Brandt, I think that we definitely have an opportunity to, at the very least, snag a playoff spot next season. Though we're still a younger team, we are finally pushing into the point where players like Socks, Mingle, Xin, and Camus aren't lil babies anymore. Socks had a killer season 75, and Syrek came out of nowhere. We definitely have the potential for an awesome season!

I'm very thankful for my roommate. She's so good at having fun in such easy ways. There aren't many people who would be cool with a rug and extra chair in our bathroom, but it's our smoke spot, and I think she's cool for that.

On 11/01/2021 at 2:32 PM, solas said:

1. I didn't even know he had a player in the race, but my buddy BigTittySmitty, who is my teammate in the PBE mentioned winning a 'ship here, so I retroactively am cheering for Malmo.

2. I straight up have no idea who the big teams/small teams/active GMs/buyers/sellers are in this league. That might change now that I'll be playing in the big leagues and will actually pay a bit of attention.

3. Are those guys any good? If so, great move by the organization. If they're not, then it's a questionable personnel decision. See, with takes like this I could be a sports journalist. 

4. No idea, but I think that the team is in a pretty strong spot roster wise right now where missing out on a 1st rounder in one season shouldn't significantly hurt us. 

5. I think that this season we go out and prove that last season wasn't a fluke. 

6. I'm pretty fortunate that while adult sports are all shut down where I live, kids sports are still happening for the moment, and I am coaching my son's U9 hockey team (what used to be called "novice" division in the old Hockey Canada terminology). So thankfully I get to go on the ice in real life for a skate and stretch my legs twice a week.

I didn't care too much as I was rooting for Chicago, but I am happy with the result. Good to see Condor Adrienne get a cup to cap off his amazing career, and I'm good pals with hylands who is also on MALMO. Wouldn't have been salty if DCD won (kidding).

I didn't pay attention but apparently it was a wild off-season for trade. With 16 teams in the VHL, I think it opens up a lot more possibilities for trades, so yeah I'm thinking more are on the way. 

Big fan of the moves Jeff made this osseason. Kyl Oferson is a good active to add, who has lots of history with L and R so I think the chemistry will be there.  Twists was cool and hopefully his add will give us some good inactive depth. 

4) The Season 76 draft is coming up on Friday.  We don't have a first round pick (thanks @JeffD), but if we did are there any prospects you'd want us to draft?

There was only one or two prospects I was interested in this season, and I think they were mostly 1st round fodder. We should have drafted stevo, I'll tell you that rn. 

I think we are definitely in a good position, and we will be just as, if not more, competitive as we were last season. 

I'm grateful that the black market supply of marijuana has remained available. Thank you to all the loud growers out there. 

9Xbz7ij.png.cfcf79c25725e5d5c1a6e6e7bfd61eca.png

CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE

ANSWER 6 FOR 2 TPE; 3 FOR 1 TPE

1. With the recent hiring of new VHLM GMs, share your thoughts on how this will help the league.

2. Would you be pissed if your player ratings were reset to 40 (you'll still have your tpe)?

3. What's one goal in life you want to achieve?

4. How has the off-season been for you?

5. Chewy or hard chocolate chip cookies?

6. Quik recently said that we need a new mascot for the team. Do you have any ideas on what our new mascot should be?

1. With the recent hiring of new VHLM GMs, share your thoughts on how this will help the league.

don't really have any thoughts without knowing the new gms, new gms can be good or bad for the league.

2. Would you be pissed if your player ratings were reset to 40 (you'll still have your tpe)?

I wouldn't mind most of my attributes are 40 anyways

Win the victory cup, or the founders cup, whichever's the vhl one or both

Great, nice and relaxing

Chewy, definitely chewy

6. Quik recently said that we need a new mascot for the team. Do you have any ideas on what our new mascot should be?

Nyko is a great mascot and he has prior experience with it

1 hour ago, Blazzer said:

9Xbz7ij.png.cfcf79c25725e5d5c1a6e6e7bfd61eca.png

CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE

ANSWER 6 FOR 2 TPE; 3 FOR 1 TPE

1. No idea, but I think in sim leagues it's always good to get a fresh influx of enthusiastic people into leadership positions. If it's up to the same folks to run everything all the time, that's a recipe for burnout.

2. Not at all, it would basically be like a free "re-spec", right? That said, I'm happy with the hodge-podge build I've got going on, even if it might not be optimally min-max'ed.

3. This might sound depressing, but I don't really have aspirations like that. I like my life, I'm happy with what I've got. I hope I can see my kids grow up to be good people and outlive me.

4. I hate off-seasons in sim leagues. I want to be able to pour over the game logs to see how badly my player did.

5. Soft all the way. There are lots of foods where having crisp, crunch, or heft to it is great, but I don't think a chocolate chip cookie is one of them.

6. I think it would be great to use something that is completely random and unrelated. Like, the team is the Phoenixes, right? So a mythical firebird would naturally be the mascot? Nah fuck that let's use a unicorn or a jellyfish or something.

I was rooting for both teams equally :D

I would assume so, there's always tons of trades happening!

I think they will really help our team!

4) The Season 76 draft is coming up on Friday.  We don't have a first round pick (thanks @JeffD), but if we did are there any prospects you'd want us to draft?

Not really

I'm new around here so I hope we can with me being the backup!

I feel grateful to be in the position to get a new PC this holiday season!

I think any new managers is good, because it's new strategies and stuff to counter!

Not really, I'd be able to readd my TPE and also remove the ones I mistakenly put on the useless attributes XD

One goal of mine would be to run a business someday, I don't know what kind or anything yet, just run a successful business of some sort!

It's been good! I've been relaxing at my home in vancouver before I head off to chicago!

Chewy 100%

I think we should have someone dressed as a phoenix with wings!

Edited by Kloxified

I think Rory is a good member and I think he should be great in Halifax, Thad has burst onto the scene so I'm intrigued by what he might do in charge of San Diego, and Zetterberg is a pretty active presence from what I saw in both the Yukon LR back when I was there along with the Pro-Am this offseason.  So I think they're all pretty good hires and I'm looking forward to seeing what they each do with their teams.

I mean as long as I can apply it back again, not really.  My ratings are all pretty simple right now (five attributes at 90, two at 80).  Although if Experience went back to 35 I'd be a bit annoyed; I just had to claim three seasons' worth of experience points this offseason because I forgot to do it lmao.

This is a very big question and to be honest I don't know if it's one I have the answer to.  I mean I have straightforward goals that I haven't accomplished yet, like have a fulfilling relationship, or a career that makes me happy.  I'm still young, so there's a lot I'd like to achieve.

Not bad.  Been able to really get my TPE earning up before next season, I thought it would feel long but it honestly hasn't.  I think stuff like the awards show and the draft has made it go by quicker.

Chewy all the way.  Especially fresh home-made chewy chocolate chip cookies.

6. Quik recently said that we need a new mascot for the team. Do you have any ideas on what our new mascot should be?

I was going to suggest some kind of bird, but like all of our mascots so far have been unrelated to an actual phoenix.  And firecat got us pretty far last season.  So we need something related to fire.  Maybe the "this is fine" dog?  Or that could seem to negative.  I dunno, I'm not a mascot expert.