Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

1. With the recent hiring of new VHLM GMs, share your thoughts on how this will help the league.

It's been great to see some first gen members be granted the opportunity of VHLM GM during the off-season. I know Z has shown his commitment to the league in the past few months, especially as Miami AGM and his involvement with the ProAM offseason tourney. Thad made his iconic WJC USA GM video, and he's already put out a new video as SDM GM that he drops for new recruits, which is so innovative! rory is clearly involved with the league, and I'm excited to see what he does as the Halifax GM. Good things are coming from those three for sure!

2. Would you be pissed if your player ratings were reset to 40 (you'll still have your tpe)?

Not really - if I still have the TPE, then all I'd need to do would be to re-allot it to the attributes. I really like my build the way it is right now and think that Socks will have some awesome chemistry with his teammates.

3. What's one goal in life you want to achieve?

I wanna graduate college bro, school sucks

4. How has the off-season been for you?

The off-season has been quiet. Awards were interesting and WJC have kept the league active, but I'm definitely looking forward to the start of the regular season!!! I'm eager to see how much heat the Phoenix can bring this season!!

5. Chewy or hard chocolate chip cookies?

Yes why would I discriminate against cookies

6. Quik recently said that we need a new mascot for the team. Do you have any ideas on what our new mascot should be?

What is wrong with firecat?? I like firecat???

1. With the recent hiring of new VHLM GMs, share your thoughts on how this will help the league.

Don't pay attention to VHLM affairs, but gm turnover is just a reality in any sim league. Hopefully the commish hired somebody with some sense.

2. Would you be pissed if your player ratings were reset to 40 (you'll still have your tpe)?

Nope because I would just finesse my build even better than it is now hehehehe. CUPS PLS.

3. What's one goal in life you want to achieve?

It is very adult themed so I cannot post it on such a lovely community like the VHL. Let's just say it involves two beautiful women, a special plant, and an entire afternoon.

4. How has the off-season been for you?

Pretty good, it was short and sweet since we had such a nice playoff run in S75. I just chilled and tried to keep my VHL training up to snuff.

5. Chewy or hard chocolate chip cookies?

Chewy. I would be scared of anybody who said hard when asked this question, they are some serious gangsters. 

6. Quik recently said that we need a new mascot for the team. Do you have any ideas on what our new mascot should be?

I personally still love cat on fire, but if we had to choose a new mascot, maybe we could use Charles Barkley, legendary Phoenix Suns basketball hall of famer, on fire.

9Xbz7ij.png.cfcf79c25725e5d5c1a6e6e7bfd61eca.png

Answer 6 for 2 TPE; 3 for 1 TPE

1. If management ever plans to upgrade our home arena, what would like to add to the space?

2. What would you say to players that get upset because they get less ice time?

3. With our good start this season, how confident are you that we can keep it this way?

4. Newly signed FA Adam Syreck is back. How will he contribute to the team once more?

5. Which VHL team/teams have impressed/disappointed you the most this season?

6. If a hockey equipment company wanted to sponsor you but you have to use whatever they gave you. No requests or customs. Would you agree to this sponsorship?

1. If management ever plans to upgrade our home arena, what would like to add to the space?

i'd request that we make the ceiling like a planetarium. phoenix losing? just look up and enjoy the show.

ice time doesn't mean shit if all you're gonna do is allow goals. suck it up and git gud, then ask for more ice time

3. With our good start this season, how confident are you that we can keep it this way?

i'm not sure. we've had a killer start, but i don't want to jinx it. last season we snuck into the playoffs, and that was super exciting because nobody was expecting it. we have a reputation now - for better or worse - and i hope that we can live up to it.

4. Newly signed FA Adam Syreck is back. How will he contribute to the team once more?

of course! i'm glad @Spade18 decided to sign with us again - he was a monster in s75 with a handful of hat tricks and dark horse energy. hopefully he keeps taking whatever he was on last season!

i'll be honest, i haven't been watching standings too closely. everybody is still moving all over the place because records are so tight. last i checked, i think warsaw was in first place, which is great for them.

6. If a hockey equipment company wanted to sponsor you but you have to use whatever they gave you. No requests or customs. Would you agree to this sponsorship?

depends on the company. i'd obviously want to see the equipment first, but i'd honestly probably say yes. what's the worst that i could happen? i look awful while making a shit ton of money? boo hoo

22 hours ago, fishy said:

of course! i'm glad @Spade18 decided to sign with us again - he was a monster in s75 with a handful of hat tricks and dark horse energy. hopefully he keeps taking whatever he was on last season!

Scooby Doo gummie snacks. Live by them. Die by them.

2 hours ago, fishy said:

hey @Spade18 do you want a forum LR? i'm trying to convince @JeffD to get one for us and would love ur support in my campaign

You have no idea how legitimately in support of this I am.  I never use discord cause I'm only here while im at work so I would love a space here to you know.... talk with the team.

12 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

You have no idea how legitimately in support of this I am.  I never use discord cause I'm only here while im at work so I would love a space here to you know.... talk with the team.

@JeffD Geoff, I swear to god, if you don't get this man a talking room, I will come at you like a spider monkey!

20 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

7 minutes ago, Quik said:

@JeffD Geoff, I swear to god, if you don't get this man a talking room, I will come at you like a spider monkey!

@JeffD THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN

A forum locker room A lot of seats, I'd like as many people to see our games as possible.  Also maybe some more accommodations for the home locker room.

We've got a good group of players, and it's hard to get ice time because that usually means someone else has to lose ice time.  It's a precarious position to be in.  I would say just keep working at it and the coach should notice your performances in-game and at practice.  Also, get good, scrub.

Kinda confident.  I wouldn't say we're going to be, like, Victory Cup winners or anything but I think we can make the playoffs and probably avoid the wild card round this season.  I don't know if we'll be as good as we were at the very start of the season but we'll see.

I think he'll be a great contributor, and I think he'll help a lot with our depth scoring.  Great to have him back

I mean Malmo slipping to dead last after winning the cup last season has to be the disappointment.  Adrienne was incredible, but surely losing him couldn't have been the only reason for this drop.  They've still got a solid roster.  Prague has impressed me so far, I think Thomas Landry II really has a chance to come into his own as a star this season.  Also I've absolutely been impressed by our success so far.

I mean I would take it as long as they're offering good money and the gear isn't, like, dangerously bad or something  But if we're talking about how I imagine my player would react, I think Camus would definitely want custom gear and would turn it down (and also wouldn't care about the money).

I think we should build a little section of the arena that was sealed off from everything and has super industrial grade ventilation, so our fans would be able to smoke cigarettes while watching the game.

Suck it, win 5 continental cups like I did before you even think about complaining about ice-time. (I'd say this to them as I myself am complaining to Jeff about ice-time).

Very confident. Chicago is now a playoff lock and cup contender team and it will be that way for the next 3-4 seasons minimum. 

No idea but he is a nice lad. Maybe he could help R out with some league of legends training which is said to improve hand-eye coordination and overall ice hockey strategy.

I haven't been following the league standings too closely, but I am both impressed and disappointed that Vancouver is still winning games.

Depends on the money, but yes, most likely. I will shill myself out for literally anything if the money is right. I'm not attached to any of my current equipment, especially if I can make some good money!

a gaming room so I can keep practicing my insane gameplay in game

its worth it if the team's doing good, if the team's not doing good blame nyko

Pretty confident we're insane

i don't know who that is but he'll probably be a great addition

Chicago has really impressed me, we're awesome

I wouldn't agree if their equipment sucks its not worth it, plus don't I get free equipment from the team anyways

1. At a bar on a Friday night, what's the first drink you ask the bartender to make for you?

2. What made you choose the username you currently use?

3. How often do you exercise or try to stay active in a week?

4. You have a chance to create an ad about whipped cream. What would you do to make this whipped cream sell?

5. How do you unwind and relax after a long day of work or classes?

6. if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Edited by Blazzer

2 minutes ago, Blazzer said:

1. At a bar on a Friday night, what's the first drink you ask the bartender to make for you?

4. You have a chance to create an ad about whip cream. What would you do to make this whip cream sell?

1. A pint of your finest draught
2. It's my real life surname. Also, I enjoy brevity.

3. I play a lot of team sports, which unfortunately means that during Covid I'm not really getting a ton of good elevated-heartrate exercise. I have a fairly physical job, and I coach kids hockey (which is still going on). I'm really looking forward to someday being able to play beer league hockey/softball/curling/flag football again though.

4. Every sexual innuendo under the sun. Possibly a couple of busty models, maybe just posing or playing around, maybe some whipped cream wrestling.

5. Crack a beer and watch a Canucks game or a Jays game if they're playing, otherwise maybe a little bit of video game time after the kids go to bed. I don't watch very many TV shows or movies, much to my wife's chagrin.

6. Margherita pizza. Eggs benedict gets an honourable mention.

I don't often attend bars, but when I do and I'm in drinking mode, I will alternate between shots of Jack Daniels whiskey and any available Canadian light beer or pilsner style beer. 

Quite a long story, but in my youth, a group of my friends fancied ourselves as a "crew" and my rap name / graffiti tag was gorlab, based on the capcom Street Fighter video game character Balrog.

About a year before pandemic, I started doing 30 minutes of outdoor walking into my daily routine. It gets very cold in Sask, so some days I skip it, but in the summers sometimes I will go for 2-3 different walks a day since I work from home. It's very bare minimum but I have noticed it's been beneficial to my health.

4. You have a chance to create an ad about whipped cream. What would you do to make this whipped cream sell?

............. WTF is this question Blazzy?????? but, I think about whipped cream and think the biggest market for it would be cooking, specifically baking. So I would take the ad money, and use it to bribe a very famous cooking/baking TV show program to product place my whipped cream in their television show.  Like Cake Boss is one, I think?  I think reality TV style shows about cooking/baking competitions are quite popular, so it will draw lots of attention to GORLAB'S WHIPPING CREAM (name pending).

I like to use some cannabis/marijuana in a recreational manner. It allows me to relax and enjoy whatever I am doing. Very beneficial to my mental health, but it is definitely not for everyone, and especially not for anyone under the age of 21.

I would only eat air/oxygen, so that way, I would never have to worry about eating food/drink to sustain my being, and thus, become rich/famous as the man who never had to eat anything. 

I don't drink very often, honestly.  Or go to bars.  So I don't know too much about drinks.  I guess I'd just go with a beer though, beer's good.  Maybe champagne depending on the occasion.

I used to have a different username (actually, multiple different usernames).  I didn't like them, though, so I just started randomly putting words into google translate until I got something I liked, which became Solas.  Which I started using in some other sim leagues first before I changed my name to Solas here in like ~2014.  If I could start over I'd probably try to come up with a better name but this one is short, easy to remember, and I like it enough to keep it.

Ummmmm...not at all this week.  Unfortunately I have not yet found a consistent exercise regimen.  I'm a pretty skinny guy, so usually my efforts towards working out are mostly unsuccessful attempts to build up muscle, which I haven't gotten back to in a couple months.  I do usually try to keep fairly active though.  I stretch just about every day before I go to bed, and I try to go out for a ~30 minute walk a couple times a week if not every day. Just over a week ago I hurt my knee (I don't know how it happened?  I think I twisted it at work or something?) so that stopped me from doing too much, and unfortunately the recent snow/cold in my area hasn't helped either.

4. You have a chance to create an ad about whip cream. What would you do to make this whip cream sell?

I would pay off a bunch of influencers to just have containers of the whipped cream hidden in the background of their Instagram photos, or TikToks, or YouTube videos, or whatever.  Not in an obvious way, but in a way where it looks like it's supposed to be there.  Then I would gradually make it more and more prominent, but in different sets of influencers' content in multiple different phases, until I have basically completed a psyop where everyone thinks this brand only exists as some kind of influencer marketing scheme because I have purposefully kept as much about this company hidden so it looks as fake as possible.  At this point, the whipped cream cannot be bought in ANY stores.  Finally, I release an "official launch" series of ads on television where a famous celebrity acts as the spokesperson, introducing the brand to the general public with an already built-in interest from the 18-24 demographic.

Some variation of checking Discord, watching youtube videos/streaming TV shows, browsing Twitter, or checking the VHL.  (I'm sure there are healthier things to do, haha.)  Or I play video games.  If I'm really feeling worn out I'll listen to music or a podcast and just lay down in bed.

Margherita pizza is a good call.  I hate to just copy Eso's answer but I think I'd just go with that, actually.

I'll set the scene: it's a Friday night, and I've already asked my dad the names of those drinks he made me that one time and recorded them in a list on my phone. The first drink I ask the bartender for is a water because I show up to the bar drunk. I do not pay for drinks, someone else pays for them because I'm hot. The first thing I ask a stranger to buy me is sweet and expensive because everyone knows that's what tastes good, especially when you're not the one paying for it.

I am fishy because the symbol for Pisces, my sun sign, is a fish. I like astrology and "fishy" is short and sweet. The only plausible nickname that can come from "fishy" is "fish," and I like to eliminate opportunities to be made fun of.

I do not exercise. I don't leave my apartment, and I sit at my desk quite often. I drink a lot of coffee until about 2pm, then switch to water. Eat my first meal at around 4pm. I'm not exerting any energy in the day, so there's really no need to continue supplying my body with energy. Health.

I would simply deny the chance. I do not want to create an ad for whipped cream. I don't even like whipped cream.

When I'm not wasting my time online watching a show, I like to paint, draw and write. My favorite plant usually helps out too, especially during periods where I feel nothing at all.

My favorite answer to this is salad because I feel like I'm cheating the question. But yes, salad. You can have all different kinds of leaf-based salad, potato salad, pasta salad, dessert salad, the opportunities are endless.

I ask for a shot of Spirytus Vodka, straight up. It's 95% ABV, which might functionally classify it as poison, idk. I then hand it to whatever stranger is near me and see their reaction. After that, I get myself a Scotch and Soda with a lime wedge, because it sounded classy when I first started drinking it, but actually grew on me and became my drink of choice.

I've told the story before, but basically: I was a kid going through a skateboard phase when I made my first username in a sim league, Quiksilver - which is a fairly popular skate brand, as well as a Marvel character. I went by that for a while until the first VHL forum went down, and decided to shorten it to Quik because 1) that's what people referred to me as anyway, and 2) felt a bit more grown up than Quiksilver lol.

I try to aim for 5 days of exercise per week, even if that's just a bit of time on the bike. Lately I've been a bit slack on it, tho, so hopefully I can get back to that soon.

I like @solas's answer, it's very clever in today's world. Personally, I'd go silly with it. Have a bunch of fruits and desserts that would go well with whipped cream, and apply the cream in a very suggestive manner. Like, put two watermelon's in a bra and have some whipped cream on them, stuff like that :kekw:

Usually I'll partake in the use of some recreational marijuanas. No more than one unit tho, because I've heard if you use two units or more it could kill you.

6. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Hmmm...I'll be lame and say probably veal parmesan. It's easily my favourite food that probably wouldn't kill me by eating it every day lol.

1. We're poised to top the North American standings if we can stay hot, do you think we'll be able to end the season as the 1 seed?

I hope so but I refuse to jinx it!  I will say that I think our team has improved and will be strong going into the playoffs, especially with the addition of Winter.  But Vancouver are looking really good with Hornet added at the deadline.

2. How much of a trivia buff are you? Do you think you could hold your own on Jeopardy!?

I think I could hold my own, sure.  I'm pretty good at Jeopardy.  But I've also taken the quiz to try out for the show and...let's just say I did not do well enough.  The people who actually get on are very smart across a lot of categories, so I don't know if I could keep up with them.

3. Word has spread that a new VHL newspaper might be in production, what do you hope they cover in some of their articles?

I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I'd be intrigued to see some of the old articles from the original VHL Magazine coming back (maybe except for Robbie's op-ed, though).  I liked the weekly poll that Toast used to run so it'd be cool to see that come back!

4. Gotta ask the tough question- who's your FAVORITE teammate and why?

First off, I want you to know that I skipped this question and answered every other one before this because I didn't know what to say here and it stressed me out just a little bit.  I like all of you and honestly I could probably put anyone here but I enjoy overthinking things.  So I'm going to say fishy because I enjoy talking to them, I think they're a great presence in the locker room, and we got drafted in the same season so it's been fun to be there from the very beginning of the team.

5. Going with this weeks theme of vacations, what would you consider your dream vacation? Do you plan on going through with those ideas?

Man...there are a bunch of places I'd like to go, but at the same time I am also absolutely a homebody.  I've always wanted to see one of the national parks - Yosemite is usually the first to come to mind, but Glacier and the Grand Canyon are up there too.  There are a lot of European places that come to mind too, almost too many to name.  But I think I'd say Japan would be my dream vacation - a lot of beautiful scenery and interesting history, plus a lot of nerdy shit I could do too.  The language and culture barrier would be difficult to overcome but I think it'd be really cool.

6. What's one thing about yourself that most people don't know?

I like this question.  Tough to pick a factoid about myself, though.  I used to play piano up until a couple of years ago.  I've thought about picking it back up because I still have my keyboard but unfortunately I haven't been able to find the space to set it up.

1. We're poised to top the North American standings if we can stay hot, do you think we'll be able to end the season as the 1 seed?

Yes, I don't think any NA team can match up with us member-for-member. We have a very strong core with a powerful aura.  NA will be Chicago's for the next several seasons minimum.

2. How much of a trivia buff are you? Do you think you could hold your own on Jeopardy!?

I am a self-proclaimed trivia god. I thought I would lay solas into a casket, but he's actually pretty good too. Anybody else is going into a bodybag though.

3. Word has spread that a new VHL newspaper might be in production, what do you hope they cover in some of their articles?

I hope that the new VHL newspaper can be as successful as it's spiritual predecessor, the VHL MAG.... I just hope nobody hires me to do any graphics for it.

Tough call as I've had a lot of fun with all of my chicago teammates.... if I had to choose one...... it'd have to be.......

kyl..... jk it's blazzy. They are just fun to chat with and always make hilarious observations imo. Kyl is a close second.

5. Going with this weeks theme of vacations, what would you consider your dream vacation? Do you plan on going through with those ideas?

Back in the day, Amsterdam was always my dream vacation destination, but since Marijuana has been legalized in Canada, it no longer has the same allure. I think my new dream vacation spot is, uhh, maybe Sweden or some other small European country like that?  No, I will likely be too old and feeble by the time covid travel restrictions are lifted, so I won't be realizing my dream.

Probably that I'm not as charismatic and popular IRL as I am on VHL. 

Right now we're separated from Vancouver by two points and one less game played. I'd say that we can close the gap, but at this point, the gap is so small that we just need the extra push to get past them.

I am terrible at trivia. I would owe Jeopardy! money by the end. My memory is terrible - I even forget the character names and plot lines of my favorite books. It's kind of pitiful.

I'm really excited that Bobo got this idea off the ground. I don't know what kind of content I'd like to see them put out, but I do think that the varied writing style is going to be refreshing for the league.

Tough question for sure bro. How am I supposed to pick? I think our core group of folks has completely changed how I see the league. For the sake of making folks feel good, I'll do a lil "review" of some of the teammates I most like talking to or whatever

@gorlab says the things I want to say but can't, which makes me giggle. I appreciate his bluntness and eccentric presence.

@Blazzer is my favorite Chicago AGM in history. She's always along for the ride, and it's fun to *ahem* teach her new things about the English language that she couldn't learn in school

@Quik makes me laugh so often. He's always got something witty to add to a conversation. He's great at carrying conversations, which has been game-changing for the Chicago locker room identity.

@solas our local trivia buff!!!!!!!!!! Another person who's always along for the ride but always watching and reacting. I also just really like his player name.

@Sonnet and I haven't talked much, but he did give me a swath of recommendations for music I'd never heard of before. I like learning about people's passions, so getting those recommendations was really cool!!!

5. Going with this weeks theme of vacations, what would you consider your dream vacation? Do you plan on going through with those ideas?

Since I got back from my trip to UK/France, I've really wanted to do a trip along the southern border of Spain, France, and into Italy along the Mediterranean. I'll do it someday, but with COVID, it's kinda difficult to get my hopes up. I also think this is a trip I want to take alone for the hell of it.

Hmmmm. Something that folks in the league probably don't know about me is that I marched in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade when I was in high school. Not really game changing, but it makes me sound pretty cool.