Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

11 hours ago, Sonnet said:

UnKjtjY.png

:chi: CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE :chi:

Week ending 3/14

1. WE'RE THE FUCKING CHAMPIONS, HOW DOES IT FEEL?!?!?!?!
  2. Did you plan an offseason celebration? What does it consist of?
  3. The squad is staying together for the upcoming season, do you think we have a shot to repeat?
  4. For your money, who deserves playoff MVP?
  5. Of course, our first home game of s77 will be a "Raise the Banner" night. What kind of promotion should the stadium run to go alongside the occasion?
  6. If you could pick a goal song for the team, what would you choose? Link it if you can.

1. FEELS AWESOMEEEEEEE! 

2. Yeah for sure! Firstly, gotta wake Xin up from his eternal sleep. Then I think it's only correct to party at L's place. Then we gotta party at Jeff's place then he can bring us around his hometown for some food. Head to the beach then eat and drink from the cup.

3. Yeahhh definitely. We're all in this together!

4. CAMUS the alpha

5. Manscaped ad. I think a NHL recently got sponsored by that brand and it's really funny. So why not

6. Don't need a song. We just need gorlab's intro to 1.5 Aussies

1. Feels pretty damn good. It's been one of the most fun seasons I've ever had in the VHL, and it has the added special bonus of being my 10th Cup as a player (and only 1 of those came with an inactive, all the way back in S36).
  2. Mostly being blackout wasted, swimming in fountains, not sleeping until training camp. You know, the Washington Capitals celebration.
  3. I think it would be hard to say we don't have a shot at repeating. We've got some incredible depth, and fantastic people, and most of the core is still improving. I think this group has what it takes to be in contention for years to come.
  4. Hard not to say JPC. Dude was a brick wall in net, and kept us in games when our offence wasn't firing at 100%. The guy is such a calm, stabilizing figure, both on and off the ice, that he just lets us go out there and do our thing.
  5. Something I thought was very cool when the Raptors won the NBA Championship was that, on opening night, they gave a replica ring to every fan in attendance. It was really cool and I've got mine on display on my bookshelf, so I think that would be a really cool thing to give back to fans, assuming they're allowed in the arena.
  6. You son of a bitch, I know exactly what you're looking for here and I'm not gonna give it to you. Instead, I'll go with something a bit out there, with 'A little less conversation' Elvis vs JXL, no need to talk when goals can do the talking for you

WE'RE THE FUCKING CHAMPIONS, HOW DOES IT FEEL?!?!?!?!

Incredible.  Winning the cup always feels great, but in a situation like this, with so many great teammates and as a part of a team that I've committed my long term future to, it's fantastic.  I went over this a little bit in my (maybe react-farming) cup finals post but being on Chicago has been so much fun.

Did you plan an offseason celebration? What does it consist of?

Let's just say a lot of drinking and days off.  I'm not good at details with these things.

The squad is staying together for the upcoming season, do you think we have a shot to repeat?

Absolutely we do.  Whether or not we actually do it is another question.  With Moscow rebuilding the landscape of the league is going to change a little bit and we'll have to see 

For your money, who deserves playoff MVP?

Through gritted teeth, I will say that I am the most likely to win it, and I'll be very happy if I do.  But I can't just name myself in good conscience.  Oferson or Mingle would be a good pick, two leaders in goals, plus Oferson tied with Socks for the lead in points and Mingle lead the team in game winning goals.

Of course, our first home game of s77 will be a "Raise the Banner" night. What kind of promotion should the stadium run to go alongside the occasion?

I really like the idea that Quik brought up of replica rings.  Maybe give out some bobbleheads of different key players holding the cup?

If you could pick a goal song for the team, what would you choose? Link it if you can.

Given Chicago's cultural relevance as a city and how long it's taken for the VHL to finally makes its way there, I feel like the goal song should be related to Chicago itself.  Maybe Common - Chi-City?  Fittingly enough I believe I mentioned this song in my first PC answers here so let's take it full circle.

1. WE'RE THE FUCKING CHAMPIONS, HOW DOES IT FEEL?!?!?!?!

I believe the kids refer to it as "pog" so I am doing very poggers with the cup. Proud of this team.

1. Did you plan an offseason celebration? What does it consist of?

Yes, but it is far too vile to post on the VHL forum. Let's just say it involves several beautiful women skilled in hand-rolling cannabis cigarettes.

1. The squad is staying together for the upcoming season, do you think we have a shot to repeat?

Clearly, or else nobody would have stayed. Our team is definitely on the come-up so I'm expecting at least one more cup, if not more, in the next 3 season window.

1. For your money, who deserves playoff MVP?

Probably JPC. He played really well in a lot of big games in every series and there wasn't a skater who beasted and feasted to the level that he did in S76 playoffs.

1. Of course, our first home game of s77 will be a "Raise the Banner" night. What kind of promotion should the stadium run to go alongside the occasion?

I have no clue, I play hockey not work in marketing. Maybe we could have a BIG CAT BOBBLE HEAD NIGHT or something to commemorate the cup for our fans in attendance, even if covid regulations prevent any fans from being in attendance.

1. If you could pick a goal song for the team, what would you choose? Link it if you can.

On 3/16/2021 at 1:41 AM, Sonnet said:

1. The offseason is coming to a close, what was your favorite downtime activity over the break?

2. Were you following the s76 World Cup? How did your team (or the team you supported) fare?

3. This offseason bore witness to a number of shakeups throughout the league. Which team do you think is the strongest heading into s77?

4. Training camp opened up this week, what do you need to work on most before we hit the ice next season?

5. Do you get most of your work done on time, or are you a procrastinator? Why?

6. If you had to choose between cold drinks and warm drinks, which would you choose and why?

1. No, offseason is forever. Jk haha. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the day with family

2. Team did alright. It was Xin's first appearance in the World Cup with a couple of familiar faces on the team. But he could've done better. He did well sleeping and tossing apples though

3. It's between Warsaw, Prague and Chicago. I hope with the signing of JungKok we can go for another cup run. We have most of the crew from S76 with us so the chemistry is there too. It's gonna be fun to see what Simon does to us and the others. 

4. Work on staying awake tbh. That has been Xin's major problem in the long run so we need to hold back on the Nyquil and stay awake. But working on puck handling and speed is crucial to keep up with his teammates. 

5. Mostly on time I would say. I like to do them in advance so I can relax and just do some checking when the time comes.

6. COLD DRINKS FOR LIKE OKAY. If I get a hot drink, there's only 2 reasons. The weather is freaking cold with wind and stuff or I don't want my stomach to go wonky before exams/event or whatever's on. 

On 3/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, Sonnet said:

m93nBke.png

:chi: CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE :chi:

Week ending 3/14

1. The offseason is coming to a close, what was your favorite downtime activity over the break?

Playing Hockey !!!!

2. Were you following the s76 World Cup? How did your team (or the team you supported) fare?

Unfortunately didnt have access to the results or the index not to mention even the internet alone for over a week, BUT i did make my 2nd World Cup Appearance for Team Nordic (thanks again @Ledge_and_Dairyfor the opportunity) we ended up taking home bronze , Scoring 2 Goals and 4 assists during the round robin play and a pair of assists in the bronze medal win 

3. This offseason bore witness to a number of shakeups throughout the league. Which team do you think is the strongest heading into s77?

is that a retorical question ? lol obviously THE CHICAGO PHOENIX:chi:

4. Training camp opened up this week, what do you need to work on most before we hit the ice next season?

Getting bigger and stronger , working on my stabilizer muscles , trying out that new HGH Shaq is endorsing on TV

Procrastinator, I struggle with self confidence and do the work but dont submit it because its not "perfect" in my mind and end up getting zeros or handing it in late 😕

6. If you had to choose between cold drinks and warm drinks, which would you choose and why?

I like both at the same time, two different sensations that compliment eachother when taken one after another. the warm drink to sooth the esophagus and the cold drink to calm the pallet , for example Hot tea and Beer #unreal 

Uhhh, waiting for the offseason to end?  But honestly I would just say playing FIFA.

I was definitely following, as I believe it was JPC's first world cup, and as you may know Team Mercs went all the way!  It was great to follow up a Continental Cup with a World Cup, sadly I don't have the Founder's Cup to finally make the triple gold club but that's just a footnote right now.

We're looking really strong, I think.  The acquisitions of Jungkok and Elsby are big for us and hopefully we can continue what we started last year.  Helsinki looks strong with the signing of Thightrap, London is certainly a team to watch with Tonn and Lahtinen now, and of course Warsaw looks like they're in good position to get back to the finals (and maybe win the cup too).  

Banking to fight the eventual losing battle that is depreciation.  Time consumes us all in the end, but at least I have a decent amount of money saved up for the player store.  To be fair, I haven't been earning while hitting depreciation in a while, so I imagine the 12-point weekly cap makes it easier.  But it does make me sad that I can't just update my attributes the same way again.

I mean I feel like the fact that it's Saturday and I'm just now doing my capped earning is a pretty good signifier for what my answer to this question is.  But yeah, I'm a procrastinator.  Sometimes I just need some time to find inspiration for something, but I need to be reined in by deadlines (or have someone else remind me) because otherwise I'll procrastinate for a loooong time.

Cold all the way.  I just don't drink hot drinks all that often and am not a fan of coffee.

My favourite thing was doing what we do during the season and running up the numbers in the counting thread.

Did not follow it at all, I don't think L made the cut for any of the teams but I could be wrong. Usually support World/Mercs but didn't even check the result.

Tough to say but I'm thinking that it's between Chicago and Chicagos' VHLM affiliate, whoever that may be.

Shit I almost forgot to do it....  Thanks for asking this question cuz I just got it completed before it reset.

I am a procrastinator just because it's how I operate, maybe the pressure motivates me to finish the task or whatever, but I tend to put things off for sure.

I like coffee but I would have to go with cold drinks because to me they are more useful and come in a variety of flavours and types that are superior to warm. 

i like to count and lose money in jeopardy!!! also look at cats

Socks just won the World Cup with the Mercs. Camus and Socks 2gether 4ever

Chicago. idk and idc what any of the other teams look like. VSN Australia said that Warsaw was going to be strong this year in the EU conference. They also called Seattlle giving us some heat in the NA, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I feel like training camp has been open forever

o fuck tho i do need to do my predictions

it honestly depends what my schedule is like. as the amount of responsibilities i have decreases, i find myself getting more comfortable with putting things off to the last minute. usually i like to be on top of things and have a specific plan for what needs to get done, when it needs done by, and when i'm going to do it.

idk why everyone is shitting on hot drinks rn???? i love hot drinks???? fuck me up and burn my tongue baby, i love it

Answer 6 for 2 TPE; answer 3 for 1 TPE

1. The season is starting today. How are you gonna wake up and get back to business after a long offseason? 

2. Time for too early predictions! Who's gonna be the MVP of the season? 

3. If you were lost on an island, who would u bring along and why? 

4. What's one thing that you like but others find overrated? 

5. Did you know that the Earth has a butt hole? Can u figure out where it is? 

6. If your could tell your younger self one advice, what would it be? 

1. The season is starting today. How are you gonna wake up and get back to business after a long offseason? 

I think the break was good to get us some time to rest and recharge before the season, and we had a great Training Camp, so now it's just time to go back out there and keep doing the things that won us the Cup last season!

Kinda hard not to go with Lahtinen in a too-early prediction. Between his track record and going to a London team placing an emphasis on their high-end skill, gonna be hard for anyone to knock him off his perch.

I wouldn't bring anyone because I don't want to strand anyone else on a lost island with me, I'd rather people continue their lives.

Well, I'm a Leafs fans and people never fail to take the opportunity to tell me they're overrated, so I guess that?

Gary, Indiana?

Buy bitcoin, do not lose log-in information.

7 minutes ago, Blazzer said:

Same as always. Hard working and ready to play. Let’s go!

Christian Mingle no doubt. I would expect nothing less from the greatest of all time.

Jean-Pierre Camus. Why? Well, he is a goalie, so he can block shots and save me some food and shelter for survival. Love the guy too.  

Rap music. There’s an art to hip hop you know? Ya just have to find the good stuff.

At the core, or at the equator. It’s always super hot there, and quite polluted I hear.

Shoot for the moon and nothing less, and be sure to visit Chicago. Great city.

I'm really hoping that everything is going to just click back into place. We've got some new faces on the team, which means setting a new rhythm, but I do think that enough of our S76 core is still here that we can tap back into that championship energy. We have a lot to prove this season - a good amount of people are expecting Chicago to perform well this season, so the pressure's on. It's a little wild not being the team that surprises everyone, and I'm not sure how I feel with all the eyes on us.

Assuming Chicago is out of the question because of the bias, I'd hope it's Warsaw forward Dakota Lamb. His time to shine is long overdue.

I'd bring a shovel so that I can dig my own grave.

I think astrology counts for this one. I also like pop music, which pretentious people think is not good. I don't care what's popular, I like what I like, and that's good enough for me.

it's indiana

just keep going. it gets better.

11 minutes ago, Blazzer said:

HARD , FAST , AND STRONG !!

We are living in the Mikko Lahtinen Era, Ive been around for the HHH @Beaviss Era then Condor @OrbitingDeath  and now the Lahtinen Era @Beketov, there has always been that ONE player that pre season you know he/she going to be MVP 

I would bring Bear Grylls WITHOUT A DOUBT, If you know who he is you dont need an explanation as to why LOL if you DONT KNOW please please click his name and you will know why :CrosbyLaugh:

The VHL :( , my IRL friends and family think this is stupid... continously mocking me for my activity on the site and within the community , laughing at me disrespectfully when attempting to stay as active as i like to being on discord, and tracking stats to keep up with the league, they most of all make fun of my front office aspirations and how much i love being a GM in this SIM league , referring to my safe place, the thing that brings me the most joy (other than the thought of my newborn child) everyone close to me that i love and respect, disrespect my love for this community calling it "imaginary hockey" I have been made felt so bad to the point I was asked to stop participating and leave the league all together....

THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN :hahahaha: I LOVE THE VHL , THIS IS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD FOR ME AND MY MENTAL HEALTH ❤️ 

WAIT WHAT !? Please tell me this is a spelling error or mistake ? 

REVIEW POSTS EVERY WEEK, PLAY VHLM FANTASY ZONE EVERY WEEK !!

1 minute ago, Spence King said:

The VHL :( , my IRL friends and family think this is stupid... continously mocking me for my activity on the site and within the community , laughing at me disrespectfully when attempting to stay as active as i like to being on discord, and tracking stats to keep up with the league, they most of all make fun of my front office aspirations and how much i love being a GM in this SIM league , referring to my safe place, the thing that brings me the most joy (other than the thought of my newborn child) everyone close to me that i love and respect, disrespect my love for this community calling it "imaginary hockey" I have been made felt so bad to the point I was asked to stop participating and leave the league all together....

THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN :hahahaha: I LOVE THE VHL , THIS IS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD FOR ME AND MY MENTAL HEALTH ❤️ 

I'M GLAD YOU'RE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty easily.  I'm ready and excited.  I think we've got a great team here so I'm really looking forward to how this season goes.

I picked Landry II for predictions and that's who I'm sticking with for now.  I suspect Lahtinen will still do well, of course, but I think the fact that London also has Tonn would make him less "valuable" per se, assuming Tonn continues his performances from last season.

Someone who's good at building boats.  Or maybe some kind of survivalist.  Maybe Bear Grylls?  Ideally it'd be someone who does all the work so I can relax, or who can get us off the island and back home.

This is a really cool question but also unfortunately one that I do not have a very good answer to.  I'm sure there's something but nothing is really coming to my head.

Is it Indiana?  I've heard it might be there.

Try to put yourself out there more.  It doesn't have to be really big, but just look for small opportunities to be a bit more outgoing or to find places where you could meet new people.  Of course, this is advice that I'd have to give myself now as well but I always feel like I missed a lot of opportunities in the past.  Maybe it's just a hindsight thing.

I've been sleeping since the start of the season and we are like 17 days in. Maybe I will wake up by trade deadline?

Well, I've delayed asking this question long enough that I can accurately predict that this season's MVP will be Andrew Su on Vancouver Wolves. Dude is a player apparently.

I would bring along Les Stroud aka Survivorman and I would also bring a team of naval engineers so they could construct a craft for us to escape with. VHL wise? I'd bring Hogan so I could scoopslam him without him being able to call the authorities.

Ummm maybe following pro sports? I know quite a few people who literally could not care less about any type of sports, and they pay 0 attention to pro sports.... So sports.

Yes I am not surprised that the earth has a butt hole. I was once told some wise words: "Live life on the edge of a butthole." and I think of that every day.

The winning lottery numbers on April 29, 2009 are 7, 20, 22, 29, 33, 49, and bonus number 48.

FQf3uAV.png

:chi: Chicago Phoenix S77 Press Conference :chi:

Week Ending April 4th

Answer 3 for 1 TPE or 6 for 2 TPE!

Quote the Presser so I can see all of your responses in real time

❤️  - Your Captain Spencer Elsby

Roster - Standings - League Leaders  

1.) Week 1 of S77 is in the books after 15 games the Phoenix sit 2nd in tha NA conference and 5 games over 500, with a record of 10-5-0, what are your feelings about our teams play in the opening week?

Answer

2.) As defending Continental Cup champions do you feel like there is some added pressure to succeed?

Answer

3.) How do you feel about your personal performance over the first 15 games of the season?

Answer

4.)Being the one of the new guys in Chicago, everyone on the team has been recommending “Chicago Style” Pizza, which Pizzeria is the best in town ?

Answer

5.)In a HUGE OT Win over the Rival Toronto Legion saw Robin Winter @Sonnet come in the clutch scoring a hat-trick all within 5 minutes, 3 un-answered goals, tying the game with just 2 minutes left on the clock and the OT Winner 40 Seconds in , what was it like watching this unfold?

Answer

6.) What skill are you focusing on improving the most right now?

Answer

7.) If you could Travel anywhere on earth right now, whether it be a getaway with the chums in Punta Cana all you can drink, or skiing in the Swiss Alps?

Answer

8.) Which VHL player do you hate to play against the most?

Answer

9.)The North American Conference looks to have two front runners, US and the LA Stars, what is it going to take for us continue at this pace to claim that 1st place seed?

Answer

10.) Chicago has been criticised about there small roster, what do you have to say to these critics and their opinion ?

Answer

11.) Our assistant captain @fishy Matt Socks, huge 4 Point game against Prague & registered his 80th   Career Goal with CHI also tying him at #2 in Chicago ALL-TIME 265 Points and only 15 behind #1, Will and when do you think Matty will claim the #1 spot in the history books?

Answer

12) IRL have you been playing hockey ? and if so what level and where geographically ?

Answer

Edited by Spence King

1.) Week 1 of S77 is in the books after 15 games the Phoenix sit 2nd in tha NA conference and 5 games over 500, with a record of 10-5-0, what are your feelings about our teams play in the opening week?

Not bad.  I feel like we could've done better, there are some things we're going to have to work on over the season but at least we've got a solid enough start to build off of.  

2.) As defending Continental Cup champions do you feel like there is some added pressure to succeed?

Absolutely.  If you'd told me before last season that we'd be second in the conference now, I'd be happy with that.  But now that we've won a cup, I feel like the standard is higher so we have to build on it.

3.) How do you feel about your personal performance over the first 15 games of the season?

Not great honestly.  To be fair, I have been banking this season so that could be why but a .906 sv% is disappointing.  I was hoping by this point in my career to be competing to be one of the top goalies in the league.  But I've had individual success in the past, so it doesn't worry me too much - I'm more concerned with team performance at this point.

4.)Being the one of the new guys in Chicago, everyone on the team has been recommending “Chicago Style” Pizza, which Pizzeria is the best in town ?

I would not recommend Chicago style pizza, honestly.  Not a fan of deep dish.  Go for whatever place has New York style pizza 😏

5.)In a HUGE OT Win over the Rival Toronto Legion saw Robin Winter @Sonnet come in the clutch scoring a hat-trick all within 5 minutes, 3 un-answered goals, tying the game with just 2 minutes left on the clock and the OT Winner 40 Seconds in , what was it like watching this unfold?

It was amazing.  Giving up four goals (and going down 4-1!) was a bit demoralizing so when Winter not only tied the game but won it early into OT, that was a big morale boost.  It's the kind of thing we're going to need if we want to follow up on last season well.

I mean right now I'm just banking.  But I did add a little bit to style control and hand speed in hopes of improving my player a little bit.  I would've like to have all of the main four goalie attributes (RB/SC/HS/RT) up to 95 but banking comes first since I don't want to sacrifice future seasons just for a slight update.

Edited by solas

1.) Week 1 of S77 is in the books after 15 games the Phoenix sit 2nd in tha NA conference and 5 games over 500, with a record of 10-5-0, what are your feelings about our teams play in the opening week?

It's pretty good and per my gm's request, I think Xin is doing alright. With the D core being great as well with our alpha goalie Camus I think we'll have another chance to be competitive.

Kind of but other teams especially LA is also up there so I think it's gonna be tough.

It's alright and better than I expected to be honest. We've got ton of experienced members like Winter and Oferson alongside Xin which helps him a ton.

Try the one down the street of the arena. Called The Socks Place and you can already tell who inspired the name.

5.)In a HUGE OT Win over the Rival Toronto Legion saw Robin Winter @Sonnet come in the clutch scoring a hat-trick all within 5 minutes, 3 un-answered goals, tying the game with just 2 minutes left on the clock and the OT Winner 40 Seconds in , what was it like watching this unfold?

His Winter power, so cold and brutal. He always had that kind of energy to come in clutch at any moment and it was exciting to see it with my own eyes.

Puck handling and speed. Gotta get up to speed with the vets on Xin's line. 

1. Week 1 of S77 is in the books after 15 games the Phoenix sit 2nd in the NA conference and 5 games over 500, with a record of 10-5-0, what are your feelings about our teams play in the opening week?

I'm honestly not entirely sure what to think about Chicago this season. On paper, we probably have the best team in the league. Realistically, though, there are other teams who are proving to be really tough opponents this season. I'm hoping to see us get back on our feet and prove that we are back to compete for another season. 

2. As defending Continental Cup champions do you feel like there is some added pressure to succeed?

If I'm being completely honest, the season after a team wins the cup, I expect them to be utter garbage. That's just the cycle as I've seen it. Malmo won the cup S75, then S76 was at the bottom of the standings. It happens over and over again, so honestly, the fact that we have a kickass team and are actually performing is incredible to me. I can't speak to what other folks in the league are thinking, but I am definitely predicting that we'll hear a lot of shit talk about how we went from a Cinderella run in S75 to choking with a beastly roster in S77.

Socks hasn't been particularly excellent, but I think that's the name of the game when you have a roster as strong as ours. No one person is going to take home the awards for most outstanding performance because all of us are going to be sharing those points. I'm okay with that - winning as a team is way more important than individual success.

4. Being the one of the new guys in Chicago, everyone on the team has been recommending “Chicago Style” Pizza, which Pizzeria is the best in town?

On 3/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, solas said:

I would not recommend Chicago style pizza, honestly.  Not a fan of deep dish.  Go for whatever place has New York style pizza 😏

I don't know, but don't ask the guy from CONNECTICUT (where even is connecticut? and why is it spelled like that? you can keep ur silly little ~new york style pizza~ because no one else wants it)

5. In a HUGE OT Win over the Rival Toronto Legion saw Robin Winter come in the clutch scoring a hat-trick all within 5 minutes, 3 unanswered goals, tying the game with just 2 minutes left on the clock and the OT Winner 40 Seconds in, what was it like watching this unfold?

Winter definitely carried morale for that game. That kind of performance is exciting 1) for the individual, because he deserves to be celebrated and 2) because, of course, we love to win :)

6. What skill are you focusing on improving the most right now?

I think teamwork, like last season, absolutely must be the top priority for a majority of this team. In season 76, we learned how our teammates played and got into a rhythm. Being able to trust your teammates & being willing to put team success over individual performance are two of the most important aspects of a championship-winning team.

Edited by fishy