Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

On 2/11/2021 at 6:49 AM, gorlab said:

jk it's blazzy

5 minutes ago, fishy said:

is my favorite Chicago AGM in history. She's always along for the ride, and it's fun to *ahem* teach her new things about the English language that she couldn't learn in school

U two are too nice. And thanks for expanding my knowledge in *ahem* English. 

There's only ever been 2 AGM in Chicago so I don't know about that 😂

On 2/11/2021 at 4:40 AM, Sonnet said:

9Xbz7ij.png.cfcf79c25725e5d5c1a6e6e7bfd61eca.png

:chi: CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE :chi:

Week ending 2/14

1. We're poised to top the North American standings if we can stay hot, do you think we'll be able to end the season as the 1 seed?
  2. How much of a trivia buff are you? Do you think you could hold your own on Jeopardy!?
  3. Word has spread that a new VHL newspaper might be in production, what do you hope they cover in some of their articles?
  4. Gotta ask the tough question- who's your FAVORITE teammate and why?
  5. Going with this weeks theme of vacations, what would you consider your dream vacation? Do you plan on going through with those ideas?
  6. What's one thing about yourself that most people don't know?

1. Seems like we're a little inconsistent and some players are cooling down but it wouldn't be a huge problem with Winter, L and R heating up. 

2. I'm very bad in trivia as you can see in #jeopardy. I also have never watched jeopardy so I don't know how that runs. gorlab had to tell me you have to answer in a question? I'm always learning here. 

3. Cover things the VSN don't. The VSN covers a lot regarding stats, standings, power rankings and watches. So the newspaper could cover things the VSN don't. 

4. It has to be gorlab, fishy, solas and Quik. I can't choose best tbh. They always keep the locker room active, they are funny and sometimes I don't understand what they say but at least the locker room is active and they are having a good time. 

5. Perfect has many definitions tbh. Depending on the occasion. My trip to NZ couple years back was perfect. But I would want to go for a full beach vacation one day but visiting the US (Vegas) and Canada is also on my list. 

6. I played the violin before but stopped and I also learned taekwondo when I was a kid but also stopped after a while. 

1. We're poised to top the North American standings if we can stay hot, do you think we'll be able to end the season as the 1 seed?

Without sounding too cocky, yeah I definitely think we can do it. The fact we’ve kept pace with Vancouver and never really been firing on all cylinders shows that. It’s always been one line or the other carrying the load. If we can find a way for everyone to click at the same time, I think we’re pretty formidable. 

2. How much of a trivia buff are you? Do you think you could hold your own on Jeopardy!?

I don’t think I’d call myself a big trivia buff. There’s some categories that I can do alright in, but no chance in hell I’d ever have a shot at actual Jeopardy lol

3. Word has spread that a new VHL newspaper might be in production, what do you hope they cover in some of their articles?

Hmm...to be honest, I’m not sure there’s anything in particular. I would say to spotlight stuff that members wouldn’t usually think about and have some fun with it. Creativity is what drives the league, so don’t box yourself in by limiting to one specific category. 

Super lame and cliche, but I can’t say that there is one favourite on the team. We’ve bonded as a group quite a bit since I got drafted, that it’s basically my internet family. I’d said a while ago that it would be cool to be on a team with solas, and it’s definitely been nice to get to know him better. Fishy is a great person who is extremely thoughtful and caring, and will cut a hoe if they hurt the people they care about. Blazz is like our little sister, and it’s been cool to see her grow more and more comfortable. Gorlab is the cool uncle that acts too cool for school but has a heart of gold. Sonnet hasn’t been on the team long, but he’s been the homie ever since he joined that upstart Helsinki squad. Spade is too boomer for discord, so he’s kinda that cousin you see once in a while but love em to death. And Jeff is the glue that holds it all together, if only because he uses his denture cream to do it 

5. Going with this weeks theme of vacations, what would you consider your dream vacation? Do you plan on going through with those ideas?

So I’ve actually been really lucky that I’ve been able to travel a decent amount. I’d say that I’ve probably got two absolute dream trips that are fairly different, and would be incredible for different reasons. I’d love to train through Italy, in like one of those sleeper trains like in the movies. I think it’d be an absolutely beautiful way to see the country and experience the different sides of Italian culture. The other would be a trip to French Polynesia. I think it’s absolutely stunning and would be super relaxing. 

Hmm, it’s weird that I feel like there’s simultaneously a lot that people here don’t know about me, while also feeling like there’s not much to tell lol. I think one fairly cool thing would be that I’ve been able to attend some big Toronto sports moments live, the past decade and a half. I was at the game where Sundin scored his 500th career goal (I’ve also got a jersey that he signed after a game when I was younger, hanging up at my parents house). I was at the Jose Bautista Bat Flip game in 2015, as well as the Wild Card game in 2016 (I actually had a picture that was on Sportsnet of me and one of the players during the celebrations that I use as my Twitter picture lol). And I was at the Raptors first NBA Finals game in 2019. 

1. We're poised to top the North American standings if we can stay hot, do you think we'll be able to end the season as the 1 seed?

Yea we should be able to end the season as the 1 seed

Probably not, I don't think I'm bad at trivia but jeopardy's weird 

hopefully they cover how awesome R is 

L's my favorite teammate because he covers up for all my mistakes on the ice.

5. Going with this weeks theme of vacations, what would you consider your dream vacation? Do you plan on going through with those ideas?

I'm not really sure what my dream vacation is, travel wise there's a lot of places I'd like to visit, mostly in Europe 

I hate tomatoes 

Of course, we are the best team in the league hands down.

I would have no chance knowing me.

Me of course, or just my team in general.

Gorlab because he makes me graphics.

5. Going with this weeks theme of vacations, what would you consider your dream vacation? Do you plan on going through with those ideas?

Paris, I've been there already.

I would like to not disclose that.

Answer 6 for 2 TPE; 3 for 1 TPE

1. Was the theme week theme of vacation easy to write/talk/make a graphic about?

2. Valentines day has passed but what are your thoughts on Valentines day? Some say it's a corporate ploy to make things more expensive? 

3. If you could build your team around one NHL/VHL player, who would it be?

4. Should we sign Christian Mingle to a new contract?

5. Would you want your VHL friends to follow you on any social media platform?

6. What's a skill that you want to learn?

1. Was the theme week theme of vacation easy to write/talk/make a graphic about?

It wasn't bad.  My immediate reaction was that I didn't like it.  At first I thought I'd make a non-serious graphic with my player on the beach or something but I decided against that.  The only idea I could think of was about my player going home, so I turned that into an article that I wrote quickly late on Sunday just before the deadline.  It wasn't that hard to write, but I would've liked a different topic.  I do like the idea of a topic that everyone can write about rather than a history topic which would be biased towards older members.

2. Valentines day has passed but what are your thoughts on Valentines day? Some say it's a corporate ploy to make things more expensive? 

As a single person I will say yes it absolutely is a corporate ploy and also a conspiracy to make me feel lonely, except for when I get chocolate which is cool.  I expect I'll probably enjoy it when I'm actually in a relationship though.

Scotty Campbell /s

But honestly I don't follow the NHL much anyways, so I'll go with a VHL player and say SS Hornet, because Hornet's in its prime right now, has a lot of TPE, and is also a robot which makes it less susceptible to injury.

Yes, absolutely.  You have to.  Even if he doesn't want to, sign him against his will.

Probably not, unless I got to be really good friends with any of you.  I feel like it'd make me self-conscious (more than I already am).  I'm not very active on social media anyways, so I promise you're not missing out on very much.

Oh there are a bunch of things.  I mentioned last week that I used to play piano, but there are still a bunch of things that I didn't learn so I'd like to pick that back up.  Or maybe anything musical.  I've thought about trying to learn After Effects (or more of the Adobe Creative Suite programs in general), and I would like to get better at Illustrator.  Being good at drawing would be cool, too.  I'm sure there are a lot of other things I'm forgetting.

I think the topic was great in theory only. My execution of the theme week wasn't great - it's difficult to talk about a fake vacation for your fake player on a podcast in the first place, but it doesn't get any easier when the other two people you're chatting with have already done their PT and have nothing more to add. I'm hoping that next season will bring more theme week ideas that are easier to take on in all sorts of media. I know that the blues were scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas this season, but hopefully that gives them a wake-up call to start planning next theme week.

I'll just say that Valentine's Day wouldn't exist if capitalism didn't exist. However, the fact that capitalism created this holiday doesn't mean that it's entirely meaningless. I think it's nice to have a day dedicated to celebrating love. Loads of romantic couples set that time aside to really appreciate each other, and I don't see why that could ever be a bad thing. Same thing with birthdays - it's just a day in the year where we celebrate a person's existence. That's all. Everything sounds stupid and meaningless when you break it down to what it is (i.e., social constructs and traditions), but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy or appreciate it.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm I have no idea. I don't really love the idea of a single person, like, carrying a team. I think it's poetic to build a team based on everyone's strengths.

I mean, I would really like if we did. Mingle is finally heating up (and staying hot), and I think it'd be foolish to not even offer a new contract. He can decide what he wants to do, but as his teammate, I'd hope that 1) Geoffery extends an offer and 2) Mingle accepts.

Uh, no. I like the anonymity of the VHL. I like not only that people don't know my name or what I look like but also that I don't know other people's names or what they look like. VHL brings people together who, realistically, don't have anything in common. The online setting gives people an avenue for meeting and talking to folks who they never would've met otherwise.

There are a lot of things I'd like to learn, but I don't know if they're necessarily skills. I want to learn more about astrology, I want to experience new places, and I want to meet new people. I'm less skill-inspired and more experience-inspired I guess.

As someone who was exempt from doing a themed PT, I can't say that I thought it was too difficult 😛. That said, I believe it would be fairly easy for people writing/podcasting, and while not easy for graphics, not super difficult there, either.

I think any day to highlight how you feel about your partner is great, but I also don't think it's that high on my list of importance, in the sense that it shouldn't be the be all, end all day to worry about in a relationship. As a day to recognize your partner, it's great, but I think you should be doing that on a regular basis anyway.

Is it conceited to say Christian Mingle? 😛 I guess Lahtinen is the gold standard in the VHL, right now. In terms of NHL players, I'll get flamed as a Leafs homer by anyone who sees this, but hard not to say Matthews right now. While McDavid is the sexy pick, Matthews is just playing unreal 200ft game and looks unstoppable.

Should Chicago? Of course. Will Chicago? Mingle hasn't seen an offer yet, which may or may not influence his decision to return.

Ehh, I wouldn't mind people who I interact with a lot following me on socials, but I'd feel weird if people I rarely talk to did. Also, I don't really post anything so I'm no an interesting follow anyways :kekw:

Hmmm...I'd love to be more mechanically inclined. I like cars, but don't know much about how to build/repair them. I think it'd be really cool/fulfilling to be able to work on cars and eventually restore a classic.

It wasn't overly difficult, I think it was broad enough that you could really do any usual PT and smudge it a bit to be vacation-themed. Not the worst theme week I've ever seen.

Definitely a corporate ploy that exploits human emotion. I personally have no problem with it though. Let the couples do their thing.

I think I'd build a team around a goalie tbh. For the sake of the question, I'll choose JP Camus. Goalie is the most important position on the ice.

Yes but only pay him the minimum salary because he's blue so he's clearly funneling VHL money into his account via some commish means.

I think a few do. STZ follows me on snapchat if I'm not mistaken. Would I want my social media to be exposed to the VHL public? Not particularly, but I wouldn't care if friends followed it.

I want to learn how to find and invest in up-and-coming businesses so I can increase the size of my portfolio and eventually become rich enough to not have to work a job. 

i didnt do theme week but vacation does sound like a harder topic

Connor Mcdavid in the NHL and R/L in vhl

isn't that quik if so obviously you always need a commish around

nope, i also don't use the main social media platforms that much anyways

there's too many, i want to learn how to learn too many skills

1. We ended FIRST in the conference, and secured the FIRST seed on our side of the playoff bracket. Who do you attribute this success to?

Probably our good looks and high class, obviously. The baddest bitches on the block play for Chicago, is it really any surprise that we came out on top in the NA conference?

2. How important is home-ice advantage when it comes to the playoffs?

I'm not entirely sure, and I'd be pretty interested to do a little case study on it just to see whether teams perform better at home or not. A small part of me doesn't really want to know, a medium part of me is curious, and a large part of me knows that I probably will never actually look into it.

3. It's just been reported that Christian Mingle and Kyl Oferson have both signed contract extensions! Was this the right move for Chicago?

Obviously, yeah. Mingle and Oferson have both made awesome contributions to Chicago this season, and I think it can only get better from here. Re-signing Marimoto is also going to be great for the team atmosphere!

4. On that note, what does your DREAM dinner look like? They may or may not be buying.

Man I really love mac and cheese. That would probably be my last meal if I had to decide right now.

5. Rumors have circulated about a new set of uniforms in Chicago. If you've seen them, what are your thoughts? What do you generally appreciate in a hockey sweater?

New set of Chicago uniforms coming is are so hot, especially knowing that they're "inspired" by the Pens. It's truly the best of both worlds.

6. Are you an expert at counting? Do those skills translate to success on the ice?

I think that I have the worst accuracy of anyone in the locker room, but that's okay. I can count, I'm just not good at it. I'm not really sure how those skills would translate to the ice, but I'm gonna say no because I obviously don't have a good handle on them.

1. We ended FIRST in the conference, and secured the FIRST seed on our side of the playoff bracket. Who do you attribute this success to?

I don't know if it's anyone in particular.  I think our whole team stepped things up from last year, which is due to a couple thing.  First, our core players up until now have been acquired through the draft in the team's first few seasons, and as a result we have a really good amount of young players who are constantly improving because they haven't hit regression yet.  Second, we made some really good acquisitions this offseason in Brandt and Oferson that fit into the team well (Brandt was an underrated addition as an inactive fourth defensman, and I'll be getting to Oferson later).  And third, the acquisition of Winter midway through the season was huge and overall really helpful when you look at how our performances changed.

I mean, I don't know how actually important it is in STHS, but it's great as a symbolic achievement.  We did pretty well last year without home-ice advantage, but the playoffs can also be tough and random so we'll have to see.

3. It's just been reported that Christian Mingle and Kyl Oferson have both signed contract extensions! Was this the right move for Chicago?

Absolutely!  It's really important to lock up our key forwards, and to have our top two centers both returning next year is a big deal.  The acquisition of Oferson was a big deal and helped to transform our offensive output since he finished third in goals and 10th in points in the VHL.  Mingle, of course, is our captain and had a great season this year and should surely be up for the Boulet.  And as much as I like to dunk on him, Quik is a really important part of the locker room and it's great to have him around.

4. On that note, what does your DREAM dinner look like? They may or may not be buying.

That's really tough, shit.  I mean if they're buying I guess I'll just go to a really expensive restaurant and order everything on the menu.

5. Rumors have circulated about a new set of uniforms in Chicago. If you've seen them, what are your thoughts? What do you generally appreciate in a hockey sweater?

I have and I like the look of them!  They're relatively similar to what I would've imagined, but with an interesting twist.  Generally, I'd say I like a cleanness and attention to detail.  In particular, I really appreciate when there's a clear hierarchy of colors and overall consistency between the uniforms, as well as consistency with the logos and number font choice.  I think attention to detail is something that marks the difference between a boring, cookie-cutter sweater and one that's clean and distinctive.

6. Are you an expert at counting? Do those skills translate to success on the ice?

Well, as someone who has only counted wrong once and has a 99.8% (rough estimate) counting percentage, I would say I am an expert.  They translate, but not as well as one would hope.  It helps with team bonding!

1. We ended FIRST in the conference, and secured the FIRST seed on our side of the playoff bracket. Who do you attribute this success to?

I think it starts with Jeff, bringing in this whole group of members, but it also includes everyone in the team buying in and being a part of the group. Everyone on this team is so great to be around, and the work they put into their players reflects that. 

1. How important is home-ice advantage when it comes to the playoffs?

To be honest, I don’t think it matters all that much. I’ve been involved in series where the lower seed wins, on both sides of the coin. In the end tomhe better team at that time wins, and it’s all that matters. I think our team has earned the top seed by being the top team, now we’ve just gotta keep playing like it. 

1. It's just been reported that Christian Mingle and Kyl Oferson have both signed contract extensions! Was this the right move for Chicago?

I think we were one of the top Center duos in the league, it can’t be a bad thing to keep them around. There’s nothing to suggest they won’t be a dynamic duo for the foreseeable future. 

1. On that note, what does your DREAM dinner look like? They may or may not be buying.

Whatever the team wants, I’m more than happy to oblige. Personally I’d want a steak place with some good drinks. 

1. Rumors have circulated about a new set of uniforms in Chicago. If you've seen them, what are your thoughts? What do you generally appreciate in a hockey sweater?

I think they’re really clean. I think that’s what I appreciate the most in my favourite jerseys, that they have the traditional styles with the straight lines, symmetry and some cool colours without going overboard with clutter. 

1. Are you an expert at counting? Do those skills translate to success on the ice?

It definitely hasn’t hurt our group. As a team we’re  expert counters and we’ve made these incredible strides on the ice, while reaching the places we have, both as a team and as individuals. Everyone had an incredible season and it culminated in one of my favourite and most memorable seasons ever. 

18 hours ago, Sonnet said:

Week ending 2/28

3. It's just been reported that Christian Mingle and Kyl Oferson have both signed contract extensions! Was this the right move for Chicago?

1. Sometimes you need your best players to be your best players, and your role players to play their roles. Our top 5 are unstoppable, and our goaltending tandem is lights out.

2. In real life, pretty big to get an extra home game in a series. In STHS? I have no idea how much "weight" it gives to the home team.

3. Absolutely, are you crazy? Those guys are dynamite.

4. Big ol' steaks, whiskey, cigars. We are going to get right fucking polluted, then head to the strip club.

5. I like sharp angular lines, and a simple logo that's not too busy. In sim leagues, I like to uniforms to be a little more "out there", have some fun with it, sort of like minor league baseball teams.

6. I have all the numbers, the best numbers, ask anyone, they'll say "Oh, that Steve Eso, he's so good at counting." That said, even since #jeopardy happened, I have largely retired from counting.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:44 AM, Sonnet said:

Week ending 2/28

1. Everyone, we couldn't have done it without everyone on the team and the GM, Jeff. !gm

2. Very important. Players feed off the energy of the arena and the Chicago fans are at the best. They make the arena feel great and energetic! Give me playoffs now!

3. Definitely the right move. We secure 2 top end forwards to continue our success in the upcoming seasons. 

4. Ohh something with salmon to start, pasta as an entree and something chocolaty for desert. 

5. I have not seen them. Maybe cause my counterparts are awake when I'm dead asleep. But I do love some simple designs on a sweater. Some whites to cut through dark colours. 

6. Yes, definitely an expert. Xin is still trying his best out there but I'm sure he's gonna be an expert soon at being a lazy ass

I would like to attribute it to Christian Mingle waking up 30% of the way into the season and feasting. If Xin wakes up in playoffs it's guaranteed cup.

Lots of STHS series go to 7 games so it never hurts to have that little edge in the deciding game. I think we are the type of team who can perform on the road as well though.

1. It's just been reported that Christian Mingle and Kyl Oferson have both signed contract extensions! Was this the right move for Chicago?

Definitely. When you have high-end active VHLers to lock up long term, you can never go wrong. I don't see nyko getting a girlfriend any time soon so Oferson should be a solid asset. Quik is already married and active so we gucci unless he knocks up his wife.

1. On that note, what does your DREAM dinner look like? They may or may not be buying.

I'm a simple man so it'd probably be some type of super high end hamburger. I'm uncultured so I can't say I've even had a high end hamburger before unless you're talking about like 5guys or something which is probably mid-tier at best in all the world.

1. Rumors have circulated about a new set of uniforms in Chicago. If you've seen them, what are your thoughts? What do you generally appreciate in a hockey sweater?

I've seen them and I think they look quite sharp. I'm a fan of the recent trend of adopting technology into hockey uniforms and hope to see it slowly evolve until cyborgs are sniping top ched and cellying with anti-grav leaps over the glass into the fans who are not wearing any covid masks cuz we cured covid!!! litty.

1. Are you an expert at counting? Do those skills translate to success on the ice?

I used to be the top ranked counter in the legendary chi discord counting thread. I've since fallen off, but because of that, my mistakes have fallen off too and IIRC I've had 3 saves stacked for awhile. Need to come back for my #1 spot on the leaderboard and dethrone fishy. 

Our overall team play.

Quite important in my opinion, fans do a lot.

For sure, locking up our future.

1. On that note, what does your DREAM dinner look like? They may or may not be buying.

Steak, RIbs, Burger, Dessert, good drinks.

I Have not seen them yet!

Nah smh, counting is useless.

1. What's the best dream you've had?

2. Do you believe in love at first sight?

3. fishy has just ben hired as the new mod. Who should they ban first and why?

4. As a kid, would you beg your parents to use night lights? Or did you find comfort in the darkness?

5. What are our odds of winning the cup right now?

6. How many brooms did you take out for the purpose of sweeping Vanpoover?

To be honest I don't remember many of my dreams, and I feel like I don't remember my good dreams fondly because I usually get sad when I wake up and realize that it wasn't real.  And a lot of those good dreams are pretty simple and straightforward.  I did have a really interesting dream a couple months ago where it felt like about 4-5 different dreams stitched together because things would just change dramatically.  Like, one moment I was playing video games with one of my childhood friends, then we were walking through a forest trying to find something, then I was in a high school building with a bunch of people I went to school with, then we went on a field trip, and finally then there was someone trying to kidnap me.  I wish I remembered more of this in detail, and I wouldn't consider it the "best" dream but I think it's interesting.

Not really.  I mean, I'm not experienced enough with love to really answer this, but I have felt that initial attraction/interest in someone.   And I can't imagine that's the same feeling as the love you feel for someone you've been with for a long time.  Even if one does lead to another, I don't think they're the same feeling.  Again, not experienced with this.

All of the blue team except Quik, so Chicago can enact a coup and rig the league in our favor every season.  Of course, if Quik doesn't want to go along with this he can be banned as well.  (all jokes aside, congrats fishy!)

4. As a kid, would you beg your parents to use night lights? Or did you find comfort in the darkness?

I was definitely a night light kid.  I was always uncomfortable in the dark, I'd think there would be something or someone there that I couldn't see.  Nowadays I'm definitely comfortable in the dark, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable in, like, pitch black darkness.

Well I don't know who STHS would favor between us and Warsaw/Moscow so I guess I'll just say 50/50?  It's more fun that way when you're not sure.  

Four, for each of the games that we'd win.

Edited by solas

The best dream story I can remember 1) wasn't my dream and 2) is nsfw LOL

The only dream I can think of is one from my childhood where I was being chased by a t-rex because I had a red ball that it wanted.

No, but I do believe in enchantment, so to speak. I think love is too expansive to be truly felt after only one look at someone or something.

3. fishy has just been hired as the new mod. Who should they ban first and why?

um just follow the rules

I still use nightlights because I am incredibly clumsy. I have also been afraid of the dark for as long as I can remember, so I like having a light on somewhere when it's dark.

Man, I don't know. All I can do right now is just lean into the good vibes and hope that they carry us to a W.

At least 7, was busy watching gorlab dig their grave.

On 3/3/2021 at 1:38 AM, Blazzer said:

1. Had a dream one time that I was playing hockey for the Chicago Blackhawks as an emergency fill in player. I'm not even a Blackhawks fan, but dreams are weird like that. 

2. No. Lust at first sight, sure, but love requires commitment and work and patience and tolerance.

3. I dunno, have I made any racist, sexist, misogynistic, or otherwise bigoted comments lately? I'm probably due. 

4. I don't think we ever had night lights when I was a kid. I think I was a little afraid of the dark though. 

5. Real fucking good.

6. Call us a curler with a look light draw weight, because there was some sweeping. 

It is far too adult-themed to repeat on a family-friendly website like VHL but let's just say it involved a lot of high-potency marijuana and several well-endowed ladies.

No, I believe love needs to be grown and nurtured in the form of a personal relationship and shared experiences.

Fishy's first action as VHL mod should be to UNBAN flames1fan from discord. He has quickly become a VHL discord staple and the VHL is missing out on not having him around on discord.

I was definitely a bit of a pussycat when I was a kid, but I don't remember asking for or needing a night light. So I guess I was comfy enough in the darkness.

100%. Our aura is unfuckwittable. Warsaw getting gently placed into a bodybag and/or casket.

I found the lowest-quality broom gif I could find to honour our fallen comrades in Vancouver:

a77MFLj.gif