Happy Birthday VHL!

Beketov

Had to do some math and research to remember what happened in the world when I was 13, all the years kind of blend together.

I remember setting up a boom box next to the tv to record the audio from Woodstock '94. Back then, the Pay Per View channels would come to everyone with the audio clear, but the video scrambled. Once you paid for it, they unscrambled the video (I think by removing a physical filter off the line) I can't tell you how many wrestling PPV events I "watched" on a scrambled tv. Pretty ridiculous in hindsight. But, it was great for Woodstock '94, no real need to see the screen and clear audio recorded up by hitting record on a cheap boom box, turning up the tv volume and making everyone else in the house be quiet (which is the same way you'd make mix tapes from songs on MTV). Green Day was the band performing at Woodstock '94 I was most interested in at that age. 

Also, O.J. This is the first time I remember experiencing the trope of families arguing during holiday gatherings. My grandma and my uncle would just go back and forth over and over "How can you think he's not guilty?!" "I just don't think he did it!". They'd carry on some variation of that for hours, every time we'd get together.

when I am 13, i look forward to playing hockey, playing with my cousins who will be 2 and 3 then, and NHL 22 (hopefully it's better than 20), Minecraft, and hopefully no more COVID, if someone else is elected president of the US

When I was 13 we were still living in an area that was a depressing place to live in, four or five apartment buildings for those who do not have much meant the area was home for some colorful characters and home to families as well. Anyways to the memory, during the winter time it was not uncommon that in P.E we went to the local hockey rink to skate and play hockey. If you did not want to use the schools skates, you brought your own skates and your own stick from home.

For some reason I remember one winter day when I was in the seventh grade, I was walking from school to home while carrying the skates, stick, and backpack full of books. The excitement of getting to leave school quickly turned into something else when I had to carry those things and on top of that return to an area that I was not a huge fan of.

The walk to home was only around 2.5 kilometers, but it felt a lot longer then. I sometimes walk the same roads as an adult when I visit my old hometown and I swear to god the road home is a lot shorter now. Nothing has changed though.

Edited by jRuutu

When I was 13 I had a lot of friends and good times.

Spent a lot of my time with my cousin at his house up in Haverhill, MA and spent time at the lake and stuff. Great times!

13? I think that was 1999, we were getting ready for y2k and the one of the ends of the world. I think I was on bad hockey and baseball teams. I think that was the year my soccer team finished 3rd in provincials as well. Don't recall anything too exciting school-wise

When I was thirteen I actually won championships in three different leagues I was playing in. Football, flag football, and baseball. Including the final catch to win the flag league and a walk off double.

When i was thirteen i'd collect empties and cut lawns/ shovel snow for my neighboors in order to make some cash. Today I'd be really surprised to see kids go door to door shovelling snow.

When I was 13, I started working out with the varsity baseball team as a junior high student. I was out of shape, but had played baseball my entire life up to that point. I ended up impressing the coach and being one of the only two sophomores to make the varsity team a few years later. I learned a lot about hard work, teamwork, and perseverance during that time. I have some problems with my memory nowadays, but I remember a lot about my baseball days. 

When I was 13 I was convinced I should be a poet and made a Facebook page dedicated to it. It was the cheesiest stuff I’ve ever read and I’m fairly certain I had my heart broken more than I remember 

By the time I was 13 I had already grown so sick of slow ass animes (basically Naruto) that I decided to find another hobby, leading me into baseball as my first foray into sports. So, my favorite memory from 13 would be finding a baseball sim league by pure chance on the GoalLineBlitz forums, my first sim league, where I ended up meeting someone who connected me to the VHL about a year later.