Players Should Depreciate When Changing Positions

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

In real life a defensemen would not translate seamlessly to forward or vice versa

I think there should be something like 5-10% regression if a player decides to change positions. Thoughts? 

in real life they don't pay 6mil to swap either

Edited by Nykonax

Everyone making the "in real life but" argument and ignoring the logic of his argument entirely.

In real life Connor McDavid doesn't just forget how to skate because he's playing defense. We don't have anyway for attributes to justifiably reflect what would be a transitional and mental change more than it would reflect reduction in someones hockey attributes. Does a player with a good slap shot have a bad slap shot after changing positions? Of course not. So and overall regression of all attributes doesn't really make sense. 

I'd also like to say we have a re-roll option entirely which has no realistic merit, so regardless of whether or not your argument had some basis in reality (which it didn't anyways) making such a drastic depreciation change based on reality seems pretty foolhardy. 

Anyway carry on. 

19 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

@Devise but McDavid is nowhere near as used to skating backwards as a defenseman. Nor does he have as much experience making outlet passes out of the zone or clearing the porch in front of his net

he's still like faster than almost anyone but Eich on the sabres even skating backwards

Also think about this:

Switching position requires $3 million of your own money. In many cases, that's combined with a reroll, $6 million on top of that. That's money you could otherwise be using for depreciation fighters--I missed out on a Jagr (which would have saved me 48 TPE I think) this season because I switched to forward and rerolled before last.

2 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

@Devise but McDavid is nowhere near as used to skating backwards as a defenseman. Nor does he have as much experience making outlet passes out of the zone or clearing the porch in front of his net

Don't forget about being strong along the boards.