Thoughts on my first draft

Blazzer

Having my name called out during the VHLM draft was the best time of my life as a player. Entering the league late is pretty terrifying because I didn’t know if I would get drafted. But I saw a thread that if you’re quite active, you should be drafted so that made me a little relaxed.

The days approaching the draft made me realise that I still have a lot to learn. Now my main focus is to be a better player off and on the ice. I read many articles and still find myself getting used to the league (because this is my first sim league). I really shouldn’t be thinking too much…

As the draft day approached, I still didn’t get any offers. Definitely worrying but then I think too much so… But things started to look a little better when Ottawa sent me an offer. I talked to the GM and I agreed to accept it. DoktorFunk said he’ll try to get me when the time is right. He estimated that I’ll go around the 3rd or 4th round so I was stoked. The draft happened when I was in college so I had online lessons and the draft going on at the same time.

The draft was streamed on twitch and it’s great! This gets the players involved by watching it so it’s as close to a real draft as possible! The wait was nerve wrecking and I hated it so much. Watching to draft go, I feel happy for everyone. Coming into the 5th round of the draft, I wondered if I’ll actually go to Ottawa or not.  

Finally, after what felt like forever, I got drafted by Ottawa in the 5th round. I felt relieved because I have a new place to call home in hockey and a new place to make new friends. A couple of my teammates from the Hounds was also drafted by Ottawa like Lexi Glass. My draft experience overall was average except the adrenaline rush when I was drafted up. But nonetheless, I am grateful to Ottawa for drafting me.

image.png.5b2bdfa1c548565c6fe72bde01730bf0.png