LA Stars Press Conference

Josh

1. Not too long until we get to the TDL, who do you think makes the biggest moves?

I believe Moscow will make a move or two. They have 1.75M in cap space to add to their roster. 

2. Which team has the best logo? Best name?

Prague Phantoms have the best logo in my opinion. I have always enjoyed the Calgary Wranglers as the best name in the VHL

3. Do you think anyone on this team is going to be the first member of the Stars HoF and get their jersey retired? 

Into the Stars HOF yes, VHL HOF no. I can see Pines in the HOF based on his production and I can see Jiggly Gumballs is he stays with the Stars 5-6 seasons as he is a LR leader too.

4. We're 2nd last place in the standings, how do we fix it?

We are not fixing this roster this season, We don't want to fix ourselves at this point. We need another impact player, and a lottery pick will likely bring that along. 

5. I think we can all agree that Chicago is overperforming, why do you think that is?

The team has just gelled at the right time and found some chemistry. 

6. Do you play hockey in real life? What position do you play or would you play?

I did and played defense. I even put the skates on one more time for rec hockey this last winter and took a slapshot right off the toe of the skate. My ankle turned black and twice the size. No more semi or competitive hockey now. 

1. Not too long until we get to the TDL, who do you think makes the biggest moves?

I think I could see Vancouver grabbing a solid forward. They got a good young core and just need a veteran presence to push them over the top.

I'm not usually a fan of words on a logo, but Toronto's logo is fantastic. I think the Phoenix are the best team, but it's a bad city choice. I'd make them the Arizona Phoenix.
3. Do you think anyone on this team is going to be the first member of the Stars HoF and get their jersey retired? 
Honestly, no. It's going to be rough start and by the time we're good all of our current players will gone or retiring soon.
I think theirs a couple obvious moves to make regarding penalties.. playoffs are already out the window in my opinion so we just have to regroup for the lottery tournament.
5. I think we can all agree that Chicago is overperforming, why do you think that is?
I think all the players want to get away from Jeff so their playing out of their minds so other teams will bid on 'em. Couldn't be any other reason to be honest.
6. Do you play hockey in real life? What position do you play or would you play?
Yeah I played left wing for most of youth. Got enough concussions to show for it, too.

On 9/28/2020 at 7:16 PM, Josh said:

1. Probably Moscow, I know how much they love to trade

2. Us, you can't get much higher than the stars.

3. Probably, but then again we should get some good young ones next year

4. By putting some more pucks in the net

5. Chicago is playing a good team game and if we were on that same level I'm sure we'd be faring better at the moment

6. I do occasionally and am happy on D

• Commissioner

1. NHL FA is in full swing, anything that has surprised you thus far?

2. With the TDL approaching, are you surprised to see any teams where they are in the standings?

3. Are you excited for the new NHL 21 BAP mode? (I've been playing it for a bit, it's actually pretty fun)

4. We've only been a team for a full season, but are you seeing any rivalries forming?

5. If Halloween parties were possible this year, what would you be going as?

6. What's your favorite pre-game meal?

I don’t what has surprised me, but I can tell you that I’m not surprised by the shit Jets moves.

2. With the TDL approaching, are you surprised to see any teams where they are in the standings?

I am still surprised by Chicago, I don’t think they have the horses to be where they are. 

3. Are you excited for the new NHL 21 BAP mode? (I've been playing it for a bit, it's actually pretty fun)

I’m sure I would if I knew anything about this. 

4. We've only been a team for a full season, but are you seeing any rivalries forming?

I don’t see any rivals yet, we are not a threat to anyone so I cannot see anyone being a rival yet. 

The ghost in Anderson 

6. What's your favorite pre-game meal?

Good old steak and potatoes 

Holtby to Vancouver, just to name one. Has been a rather weird free agency for the NHL thus far if we are being honest, with a lot of shake up in key places as teams try to figure out exactly how to take a step forward, especially the young competing teams who may be close but aren't quite there yet. 

Not really, Chicago still being so high is about the only big shocker but even they are falling to earth a little. Overall things are starting to normalize, even TOR is finding that game after a bad start. 

How have you been playing it @JoshI thought it didn't release until like Friday with Early Access this Tuesday? What the hell man? I'm sort of excited for the new NHL because of some of the improvements to both BAP and Franchise/BeAGM which is pretty much the only modes I play. Then leaning more on the 2k stuff for BAP like they did in UFC4 which I'm also enjoying it's career mode is a plus.

Between us and other teams? Sort of. I hate Chicago, we fought them a bunch and I just can't stand that somehow they are a better expansion team right now than us just because of STHS. Fucking STHS.

Not really a go out and party with people anymore type of person, but if I was still that type of person probably some Overwatch character like McCree since that's easy to pull off for me. 

Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup and Ginger-ale. 

20 hours ago, Josh said:

1. guys like Eakin and Markstrom doing well for themselves lol

2. not really, just hoping we can improve 

3. not quite sure what that is but sounds cool

4. w/ moscow for sure, got my hatty vs them this szn after they traded me

5. Probably an eskimo, gotta represent

6. Garlic fingers with chocolate milk

• Commissioner

1. Who's winning rookie of the year?

2. With the season almost finished, who's your prediction for winning the cup?

3. The VHLM is PACKED, do you think there will be an expansion in the minors?

4. With everyone once again getting stuck at home, how're you keeping busy?

5. What game are you playing right now? Any you're excited for coming out soon?

6. Any steals on prime day this year? 

Doug should but wont  cause the VHL is biased.

Mscow looks like a good bet right now as the close in on 100 points. 

Hopefully not right away, we got to ensure we have the base to handle expansion 5-10 season, not just in the now. 

We are not really stuck at home here, but I keep busy going for walks after work. Lots of Dogs and dog crap to look at. 

I play sports games, so I’m kinda of interested i the NHL Be a Pro after seeing a little about it. Game will likely still suck.

6. Any steals on prime day this year

No deals just Christmas presents for everyone else

Edited by Smarch

As much as I want to be biased and favor my boy @Esso2264 Doug, despite him having a pretty solid rookie season goalie numbers wise, especially when you consider the stats that position has been getting of late, Lamb being so far above a point per game and with a solid goal count to boot is just too hard to ignore. 

I think/hope Malmo takes it this year. Their team really seems to be turning from simply playoff threat to serious contender, and we've had enough old timey teams win it that we are due for a new expansion franchise winning their first Cup. 

No. But I have inside knowledge so I know what the potential plan is to try and handle the overflow of players. I think it's kinda like an expansion though. :S 

Same as usual for me, reading, gaming, watching. I've taken up writing again now that the summer has calmed down and the cold has come back. I don't like to spend too much time in my office upstairs with the heat my computer generates in that room, but now that it's back down I've found the time to sit down to get some done. 

NHL 21, Spelunky 2 at the moment. A little bit of that Avengers but I basically finished the campaign and was happy with that on that game and moved right into Spelunky 2 pretty fast. 

6. Any steals on prime day this year? 

Not much of an amazon shopper. I bought a memory foam pillow from Amazon recently with my friends prime account, and it delivered fast/was relatively cheap and has been a pretty good pillow thus far so how about call that a steal. :P Was only like $50. 

• 2 weeks later...

1. With two seasons now under the belts in the VHL, what are your hopes for the next step for the Stars in the off-season?

2. 27-38-7 in the second season of existence isn't bad given the poor players you get in the VHL expansion draft, would a sub .500 season be a bust, next year?

3. With a likely top 5 pick in the upcoming VHL Entry Draft, which position is the biggest need for L.A?

4. What do you need to work on as a player as we enter the off-season?

5. What are your hopes for your player next season?

6. Thoughts on discord being axed for now?

1. With the Stars winning the VHL Draft Lottery, who do you want the team to select 1st Overall?

2. If you were GM of the Stars, what would you be doing with the 1st overall pick? Using the selection, or trying to flip the pick?

3. With Vancouver and Helsinki tied at 2-2 in the Finals, who is the first team to four win?

4. Any predictions for the upcoming awards? MVP? Top Goalie? Top D-man?

5. With a World Cup off-season upcoming, who takes home the gold this season?

6. Who do you want to see enter the HOF this season or in the future, excluding your current player? Either as a builder or player? Why?

1. With the Stars winning the VHL Draft Lottery, who do you want the team to select 1st Overall?

It's absolutely got to be Tsujimoto. On top of being top TPA, he's a great fit to compliment the LA center pool. @GustavMattiasis also an awesome member and would fit great in the LA core.

2. If you were GM of the Stars, what would you be doing with the 1st overall pick? Using the selection, or trying to flip the pick?

Absolutely use it. I know I know you it's me but people forget I'll draft top sure things. If I'm saying yes to O'Malley you betcha I'm saying yes to Taro as well.

3. With Vancouver and Helsinki tied at 2-2 in the Finals, who is the first team to four win?

Riga.

4. Any predictions for the upcoming awards? MVP? Top Goalie? Top D-man?

As someone who votes on awards and sees discussions probably best not to say much. 

5. With a World Cup off-season upcoming, who takes home the gold this season?

Western Europe? I've been FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY enough WC to have totally lost track of who is even good tbh.

6. Who do you want to see enter the HOF this season or in the future, excluding your current player? Either as a builder or player? Why?

Again given that I vote in such things I can't go into too much detail here. That said; I think we have a healthy crop of fresher Builders on the pipeline. They may seem like old staples to newer members but there is quite a few who have only been around several years now who are absolutely due Bulder recognition.

1. With the draft now in the rearview mirror, how do you feel the draft ended up for the Stars?

2. Outside of L.A., who do you think won the draft?

3. Stamen is already closing in on the 300 TPE mark. What are your expectations for the rookie this year?

4. What are your expectations for your player as we close in on S75?

5. Lottery pick of playoffs, what are your hopes/expectations for the Stars in S75?

6. PS5 or Xbox Series X? Did you purchase or plan on purchasing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

1. Early predictions... who gets RotY? 

2. Who gets the Continental?

3. Dimmadome (and the team) are struggling to start us off this season, what do you think could shake things up?

4. What do you want for Christmas this year?

5. We've been switched to game day threads for a week now, how're you liking the new setup?

6. Assuming we do another holiday charity drive, are there any causes you would like to see supported?

1. If we're discussing the best Rookie on our team, then I genuinely think that I might be the best option. If my (limited) stats so far have spoken anything, I haven't been playing too shabbily this year. If we're talking league wide, I'm not quite sure. But it won't be me. 

2. Well, I would like to say that we will. However, having less than half the points of the second worst team makes me rethink. I get a good feeling from Helsinki. I'll go with them.

3. Damn, gotta call the man out huh? Well, I don't know if there's much we could do to fix a team that isn't doing well. Ask Jiggs and myself, the 72 Bulls were a shitshow. If you ask me, we could do better if that backup feller gets more starts. Minute or somethin is his name. 

4. Some goddamn peace and quiet. 

5. I think it has its good and bad parts compared to the old system. While the old system was faster, I definitely can appreciate the new system causing more discussion between teams.

6. My choice would be St. Jude's Children's' Hospital. They provide free treatment for families who cannot afford it for their children, as well as housing for those families if they come from somewhere that commute is not easy. They helped many people I knew growing up, and I would love to help them out. 

• Commissioner

For week ending 12/6

1. We beat Moscow! What do you think got us the W?
  2. Have you picked up any new hobbies recently?
  3. If we expand the VHLM, which cities would you like to see get a team?
  4. What's one fact that most people don't know about you?
  5. Who are you closest with on the team?
  6. Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

For week ending 12/6

Even though I'm not playing for the LA Stars quite yet it's a great win for them and hopefully something will come of it.

Street Basketball

Somewhere on the east coast, maybe for something new like norther east coast such as Maine or something.

I watch some weird stuff on Netflix lmao

DMax

Wherever the man wants to be!

1 hour ago, Josh said:

For week ending 12/6

1. I personally think it's Moscow underestimating us. They took us as easy prey and we fought back without them expecting it.

2. Not really. Just the same old stuff for me. Might get back to drawing though.

3. Winnipeg, Quebec, New Orleans, Honolulu, Phoenix, and Victoria would be fun cities to have a VHLM expansion to.

4. I'm Asian in terms of ethnicity. Filipino to be exact.

5. It has to be @DreMin15 . We were teammates together in Houston, was his AGM in Vegas, and now teammates again in LA.

6. In the shadow realm perhaps.

1. We beat Moscow! What do you think got us the W?

Moscow was likely looking ahead to their next game in all honesty. We got on top of them in the first period, and then let Doug led us to Victory from there. 

Working from home again, so my hobby is trying to work 8-5 Monday-Friday.

Baltimore, Portland, Everett.

4.  What's one fact that most people don't know about you?

Everything, let’s keep it that way.

5. Who are you closest with on the team?

No one, I don’t post much on the forms as most talk has moved to Discord. To be honest I downloaded Discord for other reasons and just have the VHL channel on there so I say something in my teams’ room every now and then

6.      Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Likely kidnapped by some Mexican cartel by now?

On 11/29/2020 at 6:41 PM, Josh said:

For week ending 12/6

1. We beat Moscow! What do you think got us the W? Great team play.
  2. Have you picked up any new hobbies recently? Puzzles.  Lots of puzzles.
  3. If we expand the VHLM, which cities would you like to see get a team? Denver, CO, BRING BACK MINOT, Boston, MA (or Portland Maine if you want to be edgy), and Great Falls, MT.  THEN remove these BROKE ASS teams in warm climates (Mexico City doesn't even have enough water to fill an ice rink, Miami is Spanish for Covid, etc...) and add more Canadian teams.
  4. What's one fact that most people don't know about you? I am ambidextrious (irl)
  5. Who are you closest with on the team? Josh
  6. Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?  Ethiopia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

1. Nygren is just shy of 1600 hits almost 1000 of which occurred while he was a Star, how long does that team record hold?

2. Who gets into the LA Stars HOF as the first inductee?

3. How're you liking the holiday festivities this season?

4. If you could travel anywhere this winter, where would it be?

5. Do you participate in any other leagues? Which is your favorite?

6. Which VHL team is your least favorite and why? (Please don't say LA 😢)

1. Forever babyyy
2. Hulk Hogan Jr. babyyyy
3. i hate the snow on the top if thats what u mean
4. berlin babyyy
5. i mean i'm technically in the sba
6. calgary steroid horsies 

47 minutes ago, Josh said:

1. Nygren is just shy of 1600 hits almost 1000 of which occurred while he was a Star, how long does that team record hold?

2. Who gets into the LA Stars HOF as the first inductee?

3. How're you liking the holiday festivities this season?

4. If you could travel anywhere this winter, where would it be?

5. Do you participate in any other leagues? Which is your favorite?

6. Which VHL team is your least favorite and why? (Please don't say LA 😢)

1. I think it may last for quite a while. I nearly have 300 career hits and I'm definitely going to improve on my checking. So maybe give it a career or so.

2. LAS-G no doubt.

3. It's been pretty chill. Of course that bastard Rona prevents gatherings with my family but at least we can celebrate some semblance of Christmas.

4. Alberta probably. Or just an opportunity to hang with my friends in the Forks down here in Winnipeg.

5. I am in the EFL however the VHL is still my favorite thus far.

6. Helsinki. They got a guy called Patrik Laine up there and I don't like that.