Rookie Experience - Defenz Mann

Mike

It has been a long road for me to the VHL than many.  The best prospects spend a short time in the minors and then jump right into the VHL at a pro-level.  I did not have the hockey experience or pedigree to jump into the upper echelon of ability quickly.  My path took me two seasons in the VHLM, grinding through practice and coaching.  It wasn't easy, but finally, my day is here.

NYR Jr. Rangers Rookie Series - Protec Ponds Training Center

I'm expecting a good season as a second defensive pairing member of the Continental Cup-winning Riga Reign.  I don't know how well my abilities will translate at a higher level, but they have been entirely dominant in the minors.  In two seasons, I've recorded over 200 points and sixty-one regular-season goals.  I have a favorable rating of approximately +1 every game.  I've also competed at the highest level the VHLM has to offer winning a Founder's Cup.  Adding to my short resume is a couple of stints in the World Junior hockey tournaments.

I am not without hesitation or fear.  My most recent playoff run with the Philidelphia Reapers ended prematurely.  I don't know if I was looking to the future with the Reign or distracted some other way.  My last twelve playoff games, including defeat, were not as impressive as the start of my VHLM career.  My rating was negative in the playoffs, with only 10 points and three goals.  My playstyle mimicks fellow Reign defenseman Will Clarke who has had a mundane 3 season career thus far.  I work hard at times, but fear my natural talent will leave me as a short-lived depth player who never makes his mark in the league.

No matter what the past was and what the future brings, I'm about to embark on my VHL career.  I've had a very productive off-season, dramatically improving my shot.  If there is one area of my game worthy of the VHL is my accuracy and power with the puck.  I may not always be in the correct spot at the proper time or pass the puck to the right person.    If I could contribute to another Riga Reign cup run this season, I'd call this a success.    I don't want to carry on too long here just finished training camp with the team.  The season is about to start, and I feel I won't get a wink of sleep tonight, but I'll try anyway.