The Thing About GM/AGM Hiring Megathreads

Gustav

So this occurred to me today upon seeing that San Diego is hiring an AGM (yes, that's right, San Diego is hiring an AGM; click that link, new people). We saw big, centralized hiring threads going up after a few fairly justified user complaints relating to transparency and accessibility of job placement over direct contact from up top. The premise behind that was cool and everything, and I understand it well--make things publicly available and let GMs and higher-ups see a list of who's interested rather than just pick someone who they like without asking around. I'm sure that works in some cases, but it does make me wonder whether the thread thing actually helped anyone. The way I see it is as follows:

-If you have someone in mind that you want to hire, you're going to hire that person whether there's a thread up or not. I've done this myself, even when I did put a thread up.

-If you don't have someone in mind and want to pick out of a pool of applicants, it's still the smartest move to put up your own hiring thread. It's more visible and much more clear without clicking through that there is an open job rather than someone just adding their name to the list of generally interested people.

Having this list is OK, but I'm still very much in favor of opening up separate threads for each hiring (which GMs do have the option to do). If the league wants to address transparency in GM hirings, then put up threads for GM hirings when they come up. The megathread idea was cool at first but now that I'm almost missing just about every job that arises and not being able to get the point across to my players in time (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here from a player or a GM standpoint in this situation), I'm starting to see the flaws of the current system. Let's be more transparent, yes--but let's not do it in a way that causes people to miss out on some opportunities which would otherwise have been widely visible.

I agree with this sentiment as well. Mega-thread was nice for transparency, but back when I didn't have a job, I followed the Job subforum so that I could get notifications whenever a new job was posted, which included GM/AGM openings. Without specific posting for teams, it's hard for users to apply directly for AGM positions that they're directly interested in.

• Commissioner
33 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

If you don't have someone in mind and want to pick out of a pool of applicants, it's still the smartest move to put up your own hiring thread. It's more visible and much more clear without clicking through that there is an open job rather than someone just adding their name to the list of generally interested people.

The problem with this is that AGM positions seem to change every other week so with 28 teams now between the two leagues it was becoming near impossible to have any other job posting not get buried. Before we made those threads there was only 2 non-GM (or AGM) threads on the first page of job postings. It just became too much of a mess.

8 hours ago, Beketov said:

The problem with this is that AGM positions seem to change every other week so with 28 teams now between the two leagues it was becoming near impossible to have any other job posting not get buried. Before we made those threads there was only 2 non-GM (or AGM) threads on the first page of job postings. It just became too much of a mess.

That's fine; separate threads worked a lot better for me and my team personally because I followed the job opportunity forum and relay every new thread to the Discord. It's hard to keep track of the megathread, and while it can certainly be done, I'm finding it more difficult to stay on top of, in large part because there isn't a separate topic and I'd have to check the thread to be sure it's an actual opening instead of just someone adding their name to the list.

1 minute ago, Blazzer said:

Does the San Diego management already have someone in mind? I applied for the job and I'm hoping to get it. 

That would be a question for San Diego management, but I know IR has picked out of a pool before so I wouldn't rule anything out!

2 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

That would be a question for San Diego management, but I know IR has picked out of a pool before so I wouldn't rule anything out!

Cool, thanks for informing! 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 4:06 PM, GustavMattias said:

If you have someone in mind that you want to hire, you're going to hire that person whether there's a thread up or not

Guilty.

And guilty again.