The Generation of Miracles - S69 Wild

CALGARY - Jacques Lafontaine has been in the VHL for quite some time. This season marks the young goaltender’s 4th season in the Victory Hockey League and the 3rd season where he has started. He has had ups and downs throughout his career but has shown to be a solid goalie.

But one part of his career will always go down in history. The miracle season. Everybody remembers it. This was probably the most dominant performance in the VHLM ever, or at least the most dominant in memory. Sure, there have been dominant teams before but the Season 69 Saskatoon team had arguably the longest win streak in VHLM history to help lead them to a 68 win season. And did I forget to mention they only lost 4 games? That’s right, Lafontaine and the Wild had a record of 68-4-0. Simply amazing. This team was truly a powerhouse boasting tons of great players like Edwin THE Encarnacion, Mikko Lahtinen, Edu Staga, Jesse Nyman, Ondrej Ohdadka, Killy Foilen, Erik Killinger, David OQuinn, Kristopher McDagg, Damien Wolfe, Dagmar Havlova, Gary Tarantino, the league MVP Danny Deyeeto- you get the point, the team was stacked. They also had great management in the form of Peace, the former GM of this team who is currently with the Toronto Legion, and Elmebeck, a great leader and friend as well as a great AGM (rest in peace, Elmebeck). Jacques Lafontaine played decently well and was able to be the solid backstop the team needed. He had a save percentage of 0.900 which isn’t exactly the best but still relatively decent in the VHLM. Lafontaine also had a GAA of 1.83 as well as 5 shutouts with the Saskatoon Wild.

“Yeah, I had a good season. But I wouldn’t have been able to do it without my teammates. They were amazing and all just really damn good at hockey. Even if they weren’t the biggest stars in the VHLM, they were great players and all pitched in during that season and thanks to their efforts, we were able to make it all the way. I just did my job and did my part. Those guys were amazing.”

Along with the Founder’s Cup, Jacques Lafontaine had some other awards to add to his trophy case. He took home the Benoit Devereux, being selected as the Top Goaltender in the league and also won the Skylar Rift alongside teammate Edwin THE Encarnacion and Mississauga Hounds’ goaltender Jimmy Spyro. 

“It was an honour to get those two awards. I expected maybe the Benoit Devereux because of our ridiculous record but I didn’t expect to get the Skylar Rift alongside Edwin and Jimmy.”

The Wild were also very dominant in the playoffs. In the first round, they faced the Yukon Rush and swept them. Then the Halifax 21st came in. It took five games but the historic Wild team came out on top. Mississauga and Saskatoon faced off for the Founders Cup. It only took 5 games for the powerhouse Wild to defeat them.

“The playoffs were great and I’ll definitely remember them. We can talk about this amazing season all we want, but all I care about is the fact that we were the champs.”

great MS but.... I'm not mentioned in here, 0/10

jk but fun fact is I was thinking of doing something like this for the S70 Storm team I was apart of, it was daunting to have to follow up from you guys but we did it!

Edited by ROOKIE745

4 minutes ago, ROOKIE745 said:

great MS but.... I'm not mentioned in here, 0/10

jk but fun fact is I was thinking of doing something like this for the S70 Storm team I was apart of, it was daunting to have to follow up from you guys but we did it!

Hey, in the end, all that matters is that you won it all!