The "Help Jardy Buy a Laptop" Thread

JardyB10

Hey friends and foes.  I need a new laptop because my current one is probably going to explode soon.  It has a laundry list of things wrong with it, including:

- Battery is p much fucked

- USB ports are slow and sometimes unresponsive

- It's almost six years old, and runs any relatively new games like shit

- It recently started making funny noises sometimes and it gets hot for no particular reason

- It's an HP.  Once upon a time the hard drive died for like, no reason, which may have killed or severely injured the VHL had the stars not aligned a few days earlier.

All in all, pretty old and outdated.  It has served it's original purpose and run its course.

What I now want is something that can handle some light gaming, but also last me preferably another five years.  Minimum 4 GB RAM and can run Skyrim and The Sims 4 like a boss.  I recently won $300 for doing an engineering survey, so I'm looking for one in the $500-$700 range.

Don't tell me to get a Macbook or I will ban you on grounds of stupidity.  Unless you can specifically point me to one that fills all my requirements, which, spoiler alert, I extremely highly doubt you can.  Because Apple is terrible.

frescoelmo recommends I get a Chromebook.  I'm more tempted toward THIS though, since it's apparently brand new, but I'm not sure how great a deal it is because I know less than Jon Snow.

So is that ASUS a pretty good deal?  Do you recommend something better? 

Halp pls and thx

Love,

Jardy

EDIT:  Another potentially decent Kijiji deal?  5-Month Old Samsung

Edited by JardyB10

• Senior Admin

I DON'T SEE WHAT AMUSES YOU ABOUT THE LATEST INSTALLMENT OF THE GREATEST PC FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME

To be honest it kind of made me want to play the sims, its been too long!

I have a Sony Vaio, and it's been great for me for 2 years now. I do some light gaming like league of legends and star wars the old republic and it runs fast for me. Only game I've had a problem with lag is minecraft. 

• Commissioner

A MacBook actually can fulfill those (rather low) requirements, price aside.

It's pretty clear that the MacBook is not what you want though so I won't suggest it. Someone that close minded to all things apple would hate it anyway. Besides, it doesn't run STHS natively and that's all you're good for :P

Anything with decent specs from ASUS or Toshiba should be fine. Avoid Acer, HP and gateway like the plague.

He dropped the ASUS to $500 so I came, then bought it. He was ready to drop it again due to its lack of warranty, but I'm arguably kind of stupid and didn't let him. I feel like I got a hell of a deal as it is.

And I think I might use my old one as designated simtop. Or maybe mount its hard drive for same purpose.

frescoelmo recommends I get a Chromebook.  I'm more tempted toward THIS though, since it's apparently brand new, but I'm not sure how great a deal it is because I know less than Jon Snow.

Unfortunately you cannot expand the ram on a chromebook past 2, but otherwise it's a pretty cost effective option.  Try This,this, or this.

Edited by frescoelmo

He dropped the ASUS to $500 so I came, then bought it. He was ready to drop it again due to its lack of warranty, but I'm arguably kind of stupid and didn't let him. I feel like I got a hell of a deal as it is.

And I think I might use my old one as designated simtop. Or maybe mount its hard drive for same purpose.

The fucking simtop..

Next thing you know there will be a sim room and eventually a sim house where we live together and just sim all the time.

I have a Sony Vaio, and it's been great for me for 2 years now. I do some light gaming like league of legends and star wars the old republic and it runs fast for me. Only game I've had a problem with lag is minecraft. 

Word for word what I was going to say minus all the gaming stuff. 

I'd argue that HPs aren't as bad as you think. My PC is HP and this thing so far has been a horse.

While I give mine a hard time, I suppose it really isn't all that bad either.  I have been pretty hard on it for the past 5.5 years, and it still serves.  But the hard drive melting down for no reason after two wasn't very pleasant.

HP had a time in the past where they used bad soddering on their hard drives that ruined them after a few years.  We had a big problem with that at my job last year.  That's probably what you had to deal with and why it didn't happen again if you got a new hard drive.

• 4 years later...

Your laptop should have minimum 8 GB Ram, also do remember about powerful CPU, Ryzen from AMD or i7 from Intel. There also should be a video card from NVidia, at least 2 GB. I recommend you to buy SSD 500GB. I believe such a laptop will serve you many years for everyday purposes, games, and work.

Edited by Quik
No advertising