MacBook Pro Antivirus

Banackock

Hey all,

Lap top was purchased within last maybe 6 months - idk. I don't think it obviously came with anything but am not huge into PC stuff. Somehow someone did a little fraud charge on my credit card account so going through everything and really making sure it doesn't happen again. 

Not super big on anti-virus knowledge. I know of Norton, Trend Micro etc but want to know if there's members out there that have a Mac and what they use or what's the best? I just don't want to find something that the internet says is good and ends up being a scam or virus itself, lmao. 

THANKS

18 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Hey all,

Lap top was purchased within last maybe 6 months - idk. I don't think it obviously came with anything but am not huge into PC stuff. Somehow someone did a little fraud charge on my credit card account so going through everything and really making sure it doesn't happen again. 

Not super big on anti-virus knowledge. I know of Norton, Trend Micro etc but want to know if there's members out there that have a Mac and what they use or what's the best? I just don't want to find something that the internet says is good and ends up being a scam or virus itself, lmao. 

THANKS

I use this Bana:

https://cleanmymac.com/

Actually works pretty good. Does all the virus stuff and also does cleaning of old files, garbage files, free-up memory/RAM etc.

1 hour ago, Banackock said:

I just don't want to find something that the internet says is good and ends up being a scam or virus itself, lmao. 

There's something called Mac Cleanup Pro that I (accidentally) downloaded early last year and it absolutely wrecked my computer. Had to mail it in and have it reset at the factory because windows were just randomly crashing on me and I was having this weird internet issue where stuff just refused to load, even when everything else on the network was working fine. Basically, don't even think about trying that one.

I actually don't use any security program either at the moment so this thread could be helpful to me as well.

• Commissioner

There is no such thing as a virus on mac. At worst there's malware though technically you'd have to give permission for that to install. Most liklely a credit card issue came from a company you gave it to, not your mac itself.

If, for some reason, you want something I've usually trusted Avast. Again though, it's really not necessary as long as you don't install anything sketchy. Nothing can install itself on a mac, you need to give it permission.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

There is no such thing as a virus on mac. At worst there's malware though technically you'd have to give permission for that to install. Most liklely a credit card issue came from a company you gave it to, not your mac itself.

If, for some reason, you want something I've usually trusted Avast. Again though, it's really not necessary as long as you don't install anything sketchy. Nothing can install itself on a mac, you need to give it permission.

Hmm, maybe. I can’t imagine what site it would be but I mean, CRA was hacked so I guess why can’t they get my info off Amazon, Netflix, PayPal etc, lol. Never put it on sketchy sites. Was frustrating. Is stressful. So last few days I’ve completely changed every password and made em tough as hell, removed my cards from absolutely anything and am now living off the land with the locals. 

iOS cannot get or what? I wonder if cell phones can get or someone can gain access to your shit on phone?

What a gross world it can be lol

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

I'm by no means an expert and I don't have a Mac but I'm not sure if all forms of malware need to install.  Either way an extra thing can't hurt as long as it's trustworthy.

I've always used  malwarebytes  https://www.malwarebytes.com/  on Windows, and they have a Mac version.

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, Banackock said:

iOS cannot get or what? I wonder if cell phones can get or someone can gain access to your shit on phone?

iOS is even more locked down than MacOS because you can only install stuff off the App Store. Incredibly unlikely anything gets in through your phone.

8 hours ago, Garsh said:

I'm by no means an expert and I don't have a Mac but I'm not sure if all forms of malware need to install.

If it’s pulling information out of Unix it would need to be installed. It’s very possible mind you, I’ve seen it happen to plenty of people, that you think something is perfectly safe and it seems legit but it has something malicious hiding in it.

I do second malware bytes though. I’ve never used it for preventative measures but it works great for removing gunk that’s already in place.

9 hours ago, Banackock said:

Never put it on sketchy sites.

Skimming is always a possibility, it doesn't have to be on a website, could be anywhere you purchased things.

9 hours ago, Banackock said:

I’d throw it on the shitty HP

With a PC if you don't use it much the windows defender will do a decent enough job

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 8:02 PM, Beketov said:

You can technically get viruses on macs, just far less common.

But more common I find than they used to be.

Phones tho..100% very little can happen unless you are being an idiot.  Always told my phone customers that.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Advantage said:

You can technically get viruses on macs, just far less common.

But more common I find than they used to be.

Phones tho..100% very little can happen unless you are being an idiot.  Always told my phone customers that.

From a technicality standpoint you can’t but from a user perspective you can. For a user the difference between a virus and malware is meaningless. However to be a proper computer virus it needs to be able to install itself without your knowledge. That can’t happen in MacOS. You can install something bad without knowing it but you still have to put your password in for every install so nothing can install itself.

Again, I’m being technical and Mac malware does exist.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

From a technicality standpoint you can’t but from a user perspective you can. For a user the difference between a virus and malware is meaningless. However to be a proper computer virus it needs to be able to install itself without your knowledge. That can’t happen in MacOS. You can install something bad without knowing it but you still have to put your password in for every install so nothing can install itself.

Again, I’m being technical and Mac malware does exist.

Yes of course it's 100% user error related but a lot of people are real stupid with their computers so I always treat it as something that can happen.