Angellini - USA WINS GOLD!!!

okifenoki

In his first nomination to Team USA in the WJC, Pietro Angellini and his fellow Americans brought home the Gold! After going 6-3 in the qualifying rounds, Team USA entered the semi-finals against Team World. Team USA was victorious, 4-2, and Angellini registered (1) one assist with (2) of each: hits, shots, blocks. Team USA looked forward to the Gold Medal Game, a showdown with the stacked roster of Team Europe. It was a hard fought game, with Team Europe leading 2-0 early in the second period. Team USA was looking upside down until, at 2:40 on the Power Play, Angellini buried a wrister past Nils Friedriksen @Biggreen10, set up by fellow Americans Keith Krestanovich @Boragina and Gary Rush @G_Rush. The American Boys were on the board and looking for more. Intermission.

3rd Period was a battle but the USA came out determined and buried the equalizer at 1:52 on the Power Play, once again, it was Chance Rust @turkey2349 assisted by Keith Krestanovich & Pietro Angellini. The USA had fought back and evened the score. The next 15 minutes were a brutal standoff. Tons of shots from both teams, with the USA racking up 43 shots on net before fellow Marlin John Merrick @Steve was able to light the lamp with 9 seconds left in the game!

USA WINS GOLD!!!!!!!

It was a fantastic game and, at times, evenly matched, but Team USA came out on top, 3-2, with Angellini grabbing a goal and an assist and 3rd Star Honors.

Angellini was quoted after the game, between swigs of champagne: "Man, what a wild ride. This Tournament was everything I thought it could be. I was able to learn from players from around the world, catch up with old friends, and take home the Gold Medal. I have been dreaming of this kind of thing since I was a little kid. Very proud of my fellow countrymen and to be an American today. USA! USA! USA!"

WJC CHAMPS!!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled S73 VHLM Action...