I Complain About Trivia And Propose A Solution

OK, so normally I do some bullet points about some things going on in the league and bullshit my way to 150 words. Not today. Today, I am airing grievances about our current trivia set up.

As a way of earning capped TPE, members have the opportunity to answer 2 trivia questions to earn 2 TPE. The trivia questions are posted early in the week (usually on Monday) and then the answers are provided and everyone claims their TPE. Now why am I complaining? Because the answers to the trivia questions were posted around 2PM Eastern today. I know there is nothing formal in place, but this is way too early. In the past, the answers have been posted around 8 PM or so. This is still kind of early, but I can't say it's super early. However, 2 PM is WAY too early - that's 11AM on the west coast and basically cuts off the full day for those people.

My main problem with this off the top of my head, there is no other capped TPE that does not follow the Monday-Sunday point task week. For every other task, members have the full 7 days to earn TPE. Trivia should be no different - you have 7 days to get your answers in. Now, some people will tell me to just not be lazy and to get my stuff ahead of time. To them, I say....no - I have 7 days to do everything else, meaning I can do everything else at 11:59 PM, so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do trivia at 11:59 PM.

Some will say that trivia answers need to be posted early so that those who don't get both questions right can still find another way to hit the 12 TPE cap. To that, I say....get good. One of the risks of doing trivia is that you can get the answer wrong (or trust the wrong person) and lose out on 1 TPE. At the end of the day, it's 1 TPE, it's not a big deal. Another complaint I've heard is that people like to get all of their updates in for the week before the week actually ends. To that, I say...you can wait 12 hours or 24 hours to update your 2 TPE for the previous week so that everyone has an equal opportunity to answer the questions.

So what is my formal proposal? I propose that trivia answers are posted no earlier than Monday of the following PT week when that week's questions are posted. Trivia TPE would then be eligible to be earned for the week of the trivia questions, not the week the answers were posted. This would be uniform with all of our other capped TPE offerings - there is no other method of earning capped TPE that allows you to claim back TPE like we currently allow for trivia. This also allows everyone to be on the same page for when trivia will be posted and how long a member has to complete it.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

@flyersfan1453 I'm confused here lol, did you write this yesterday? Because it's not even 2PM yet, and if answers were posted today...that means it is Monday of the following week.

Either way, with the eventual shuffle to the portal, trivia will have a firm deadline every week, likely between 3-6PM ET on Sundays, for people to submit their trivia answers, with automatic payout (that would need to push to the following week if people have capped for the given week).

22 minutes ago, Quik said:

@flyersfan1453 I'm confused here lol, did you write this yesterday? Because it's not even 2PM yet, and if answers were posted today...that means it is Monday of the following week.

Either way, with the eventual shuffle to the portal, trivia will have a firm deadline every week, likely between 3-6PM ET on Sundays, for people to submit their trivia answers, with automatic payout (that would need to push to the following week if people have capped for the given week).

6 minutes ago, twists said:

I'm so confused, what is the complaint here. Week 4 trivia was posted on Tuesday and answers were posted on Sunday.

Yes - this originally started as a vhl.com article for last week, but I wrote it and it ended up being over 500 words, so I saved it as a media spot for this week. I'm too lazy to edit it though, just a straight copy - paste.

2 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Why does this one capped TPE option have more of a time restriction than every other capped TPE option?

You "do" trivia during the week of 8/24/20 - 8/30/20. Regardless if answers are posted on 8/30/20 or 8/31/20, why should I be able to claim it for the week of 8/31/20 - 9/6/20? I "did" the work during 8/24/20 - 8/30/20. There is no other capped TPE option that allows you to push back earning the capped TPE.

@Quik because I somehow messed up the quoting

Edited by flyersfan1453

1 minute ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Why does this one capped TPE option have more of a time restriction than every other capped TPE option?

You "do" trivia during the week of 8/24/20 - 8/30/20. Regardless if answers are posted on 8/30/20 or 8/31/20, why should I be able to claim it for the week of 8/31/20 - 9/6/20? I "did" the work during 8/24/20 - 8/30/20. There is no other capped TPE option that allows you to push back earning the capped TPE.

@Quik because I somehow messed up the quoting

I don't see how this is more time restricted than other tasks, but I do get what you're saying, re: the trivia was earned in Week X, should only be claimed in Week X. The issue, for me, stems from not being guaranteed to receive 2 TPE, - it is the only task on the site that doesn't have a set TPE for completion.

Yes, 1 TPE lost is nothing major. But what if the person gets neither right? Or they never get a single question right? Extreme examples, sure, but the point stands that lost TPE compounds, and people don't like missing out on TPE. Given how late in the week trivia results are posted, and that trivia is not done during the off-season, not everyone is going to have the time to hop on and make up their missed TPE if they don't get both answers, so I can't begrudge people who hedge their bets by, say, maxing their cap in week 1 through other means, and then pushing trivia results claims to Week X+1.

However, I think having a firm deadline/payout on mid-day Sunday afternoon, while technically "shortening" your week by 9-12 hours, would still be a fair way to ensure that claims are made for the same week they're completed, and we could discuss the idea of making it either apply directly, or be rejected for being at the weekly cap, altogether.

1 hour ago, Quik said:

I don't see how this is more time restricted than other tasks, but I do get what you're saying, re: the trivia was earned in Week X, should only be claimed in Week X. The issue, for me, stems from not being guaranteed to receive 2 TPE, - it is the only task on the site that doesn't have a set TPE for completion.

Yes, 1 TPE lost is nothing major. But what if the person gets neither right? Or they never get a single question right? Extreme examples, sure, but the point stands that lost TPE compounds, and people don't like missing out on TPE. Given how late in the week trivia results are posted, and that trivia is not done during the off-season, not everyone is going to have the time to hop on and make up their missed TPE if they don't get both answers, so I can't begrudge people who hedge their bets by, say, maxing their cap in week 1 through other means, and then pushing trivia results claims to Week X+1.

However, I think having a firm deadline/payout on mid-day Sunday afternoon, while technically "shortening" your week by 9-12 hours, would still be a fair way to ensure that claims are made for the same week they're completed, and we could discuss the idea of making it either apply directly, or be rejected for being at the weekly cap, altogether.

My counterpoint is that the inherent risk of "trivia" is that you could get an answer wrong. If you want guaranteed TPE, do another task.

In our Miami locker room, we recommend players claim trivia answers for the following week anyways. That way, you can actually cap out by Monday if you want. When I'm a ding-dong and get one wrong, then I have all week to review someone's media spot and earn that TPE back. The alternative would be to sit at 10 capped all week and hope you get the answers right when they come out on Saturday or Sunday, and then scramble to write a review or two if you get a wrong answer. That doesn't sound fun at all.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:44 PM, twists said:

I'm so confused, what is the complaint here. Week 4 trivia was posted on Tuesday and answers were posted on Sunday.

A lot of us missed the cutoff cause of how early it was posted on Sunday as opposed to the usual.