The Next Generation: S74 First Gens

Patrik Tallinder

HYM-YqXrrg8pn0HgWzZ0QJTlY9hu3YoY1lLlPYPFXjlps83PKbqhWh3oUxDnMVNF0SP2LG0z-lgiUIA1yoMyREhdI5hKVmhe5pILNwd9clAu6dnfrp2HvD2mKWdwSbes-12FI1fF

The immediate draw to a new draft is undoubtedly its recreates. Users can be coming off of successful careers with their last player, returning after a break from the league, or perhaps even seeking redemption after their previous career did not go as initially envisioned. These storylines are fun to follow, and make the draft more intriguing. However, what takes a draft from ordinary to memorable is often not the recreates; it is in the hands of the league’s newest faces. Each season, we see first-generation players distinguish themselves as top-tier prospects and members of the VHL community. This article is written in recognition of this season’s top eight first-gens ranked by TPE, and their hard work to prove their worth to the league. The rankings are based on all TPE earned before the week of 8/30, as it is not yet complete. If your player isn’t here yet, hard work and consistency will send you on the path to VHL stardom anyway, current rankings be damned.

Before we begin, I would like to bring to your attention some of VSN’s latest work. Whether you’re one of these players and would like to keep up with the VHLM’s latest news, or you’re an older member who’d enjoy looking back at some of the league’s most prominent teams, VSN has anything and everything you’d want. Here’s a few options, so feel free to check those out if they interest you.

| VHLM Weekly | Deep Rewind | VSN Radio | VHL Weekly |

sxA9y8fSuNAW8LUFbxZxHZEgBjA_1BZrwFY4khVp51jmXVsalIEpGhvlIovqEc4pK2gBUJ42qBKspYkcr61J5TGjFJ9mIWof1cFNIluGSY71gF_VmZY_gIXBIofSr3jLTh92-P9r | Emi Rune - D - 226 TPE | @Emi

Eighteen year-old defender Emi Rune has emerged as one of this draft’s best talents through fantastic two way play and puck-moving ability. Rune will be ready for the VHL in S74, and could make an impact right away for whoever drafts her. She has not missed one capped TPE since joining, and has piled on 82 uncapped TPE to that total as well, which is fifth in the entire draft class and second among first-gen players. If Rune can keep this progression up, expect her to be considered a star in the big league sooner rather than later. Emi has had some notable moments as a user so far too, such as being hired as Vancouver’s AGM, creating custom team designs, and hosting a podcast. This is an exciting new member and player who has had a remarkable start to what is hopefully a long, successful VHL career.

mdHvW7uC_WjStKb9DJOL4xxzHKJ-uXbS_T44z9H4G9-9Br-zev7l6dR9eocWtULnzW3GGIuJfhp_odU-_VFcWjiab1HCxkRAsd4r4gX4aU9pG8P52BTmIcUvDEatfWnw10dl2EnZ | Jeffrenomitsu The 3rd - RW - 216 TPE | @Jeffie43

Recruited by this draft’s top prospect, Jeffrenomitsu The 3rd has wasted no time in building a name for himself. His 88 uncapped TPE leads the entire draft class, and he has earned almost every possible capped TPE as well. The winger of Singapore has an extremely focused build, with TPE applied to only defence (90), scoring (88), and puck handling (56). These are three of the most important attributes, and this is a build that will bring him results right away in the VHLM. Said success is already evident in his 33 goals and 70 points in the regular season. Obviously as he grows into the great VHL player he’s on the path to becoming, it is likely that he picks up his puck handling a bit more, as well as skating. Jeffrenomitsu The 3rd is a prospect I hold in high regard, and I see him as an important piece of whichever team he becomes a part of.

tBel5B3SvDK0H1M3TSLrRCb5J7dvHFoIGCdvMlLyAEx95osTHYu7yP7h8SsfqxFRschOXP5gq7jfJX5dF8DJTymmWnc68nAqU-2yQlMYUnVeZxdeaQWvcaptL53IuIXZPt7FiY1O | Lee Xin - RW - 192 TPE | @Blazzer

Lee Xin of the Ottawa Lynx has shown incredible promise in his young career to date, especially offensively. The 6’0”, 175 lb winger just keeps getting better and better, making the step up from a welfare earner to a PT earner a few weeks ago and claiming 47 of a possible 48 capped TPE since then. Xin is an unpredictable offensive threat who mainly thrives with the puck on his stick. He has flashy moves and a cannon of a shot in his arsenal, and can find open space for scoring opportunities quite often. User Blazzer has been active on the forums, conducting interviews with other members, applying for jobs, and supporting content made by others as well. I see a user and player who is invested in becoming a prominent figure in this league, and hopefully that comes to fruition.

exEDqcNx_R18x51Zr72f0eXQ8p5hQKbTTwE4AOgUyKRPsXvKHjvvCCqFJDBdYCrAdraXWCMs6-4csscS1818zPV0RfgGkALvwMOtRn2RKzwRvCcF2Vc-a23WXzahTteCu_GAnHzp | Kasey Tamm - LW - 184 TPE | @kesytamm

Kasey Tamm entered the VHL with prior sim league experience, and seamlessly transitioned to ours with 64 TPE in his first two weeks. Since then, the young winger has kept up an elite rate of TPE production for an additional four weeks, now averaging about 22 TPE per week so far in his career. Tamm has not missed one capped TPE yet either, which is encouraging to see as well. He has a nice scoring build which has enabled him to score an admirable 48 goals and 93 points for Las Vegas in S73. I’m very confident in saying that if this player is able to keep up this level of interest in at least three leagues (and many have), he will be an unbelievable player in the VHL really soon.

y06QsX5QaAlOZd0A_hI6Hod0A9sZp7TJrNvgy7O8HXAWbG65kOroa3eFsNG4p7yRo1ZpfmgoZ6nmgZuMfXB0N4nkySRlmwDnaM02yVzQ3Mzmh8ABnQ3UNj1e-3qxuYscPiYfikct | Riley Couture - C - 182 TPE | @Riley_Couture

Saskatoon center Riley Couture is a player who has shown great upside, and who could be yet another high quality first gen from this crop of prospects. Couture capped out for five straight weeks, which points to the potential to be a top tier prospect, but has only earned 6 capped TPE in each of the past two weeks. This isn’t a big deal at all because of the 30 uncapped TPE she earned during that span, but ideally she returns to form at some point in the capped department. She had a solid rookie season with 48 points, and looks like she could potentially be one of the VHLM’s best next season. On the forums, Couture’s personality has come out through her art, making creative concepts and designs. Her appearance on the Rune Rambles podcast was also a good listen. I think there is potential for greatness here, and only time will tell if Riley Couture can reach it.

exEDqcNx_R18x51Zr72f0eXQ8p5hQKbTTwE4AOgUyKRPsXvKHjvvCCqFJDBdYCrAdraXWCMs6-4csscS1818zPV0RfgGkALvwMOtRn2RKzwRvCcF2Vc-a23WXzahTteCu_GAnHzp | Rhynex Entertainment - C - 162 TPE | @Rhynex Entertainment

A player who has displayed reliability and consistency in the early stages of his career, Rhynex Entertainment has progressed really nicely as a prospect since joining. After his first week, he has not missed any capped TPE. Capping out weekly already makes him a highly appealing option for VHL GMs on draft day, but all it would take to bring him to the next level is a little bit more uncapped TPE earning. I think with a little boost in that, he could be looked at as one of this draft’s biggest steals. Rhynex has a bit more of a scoring-focused build, but so far it’s been his playmaking side that has shone brightly so far. After a regular season which included 49 assists and 68 points, the postseason has provided the Canadian teenager with an opportunity he has made the absolute most of. His 7 points in 4 games has him ranked tied for fourth among all players, and first on his team. As I said before, Rhynex Entertainment is another first-generation player that could make a lot of noise at the VHL level.

exEDqcNx_R18x51Zr72f0eXQ8p5hQKbTTwE4AOgUyKRPsXvKHjvvCCqFJDBdYCrAdraXWCMs6-4csscS1818zPV0RfgGkALvwMOtRn2RKzwRvCcF2Vc-a23WXzahTteCu_GAnHzp | Gabriel Akerstrom - D - 161 TPE | @Mason

The third member of the Las Vegas Aces to appear in this article, defender Gabriel Akerstrom is a quality two-way puck-moving defenceman from Sweden. Standing at 5’11”, Akerstrom may be considered a tad on the smaller side for a defenceman, but he has more than enough lower body strength to protect the puck from incoming attackers. He handles the puck well, and has a nice smooth stride. This is precisely the type of player you would want in transitional play moving the puck up the ice and settling an attack in the other end. The Swede put up an impressive 48 assists this season, highlighting his vision in and around the offensive zone. His TPE earning has been good, earning between 10-12 capped TPE every week and collecting a nice amount of uncapped TPE too. So far he is averaging 20 TPE per week and although that number is bound to dip eventually, this is a tremendous start for his career. Yet again, we have a quality prospect here with loads of potential. 

exEDqcNx_R18x51Zr72f0eXQ8p5hQKbTTwE4AOgUyKRPsXvKHjvvCCqFJDBdYCrAdraXWCMs6-4csscS1818zPV0RfgGkALvwMOtRn2RKzwRvCcF2Vc-a23WXzahTteCu_GAnHzp | Chris Reynolds - LW - 154 TPE | @Crstats23

Well, I don’t think it’s a shocker anymore that our next and final prospect is from Las Vegas. Left winger Chris Reynolds is an offensive dynamo with great vision and a fantastic shot. He had a nice 53 point regular season before having an excellent point-per-game start to the playoffs in S73. In terms of TPE earning, Reynolds has had a decent beginning. He averages around 8-9 capped TPE per week, and has claimed some uncapped TPE too, mainly from the player store. After his first week, his consistency has been noticeable with his weekly TPE totals never dropping below 10. Posting point tasks in lieu of welfare could do wonders for his development, adding 2 TPE to his weekly count and making him eligible for doubles and triples weeks. I do believe that if he stays as consistent as he is now, he will become a very solid player at the VHL level, regardless of whether he switches primarily to point tasks or not.

Well, that does it! This season has a plethora of first-generation players with much upside. I wish the best moving forward for all of these players and the ones I didn’t get the chance to mention in this article. I would like to thank the team for making my time as a writer as amazing as it was, and I’ll do my best at helping VSN Scouting behind the scenes moving forward. And with that, I say farewell!

Info regarding me and @Riley_Couture

She's my wife so ATM we're both having the issues of no internet which has meant doing updates has been hard. 

I've managed to get mine in as i got then in before the net fully died this week. 

Also I actually went up to 240 TPE this week! So I'll be capped next week and I have more stuff planned for the future!

48 minutes ago, Emi said:

Info regarding me and @Riley_Couture

She's my wife so ATM we're both having the issues of no internet which has meant doing updates has been hard. 

I've managed to get mine in as i got then in before the net fully died this week. 

Also I actually went up to 240 TPE this week! So I'll be capped next week and I have more stuff planned for the future!

Oh wow I had no clue you guys were married, its cool that you guys are on here together!

Also in terms of the TPE count, it was all based on the TPE you had at the end of the week of 8/23. I know it’s odd I didn’t include this week, but it makes things way easier to organize on my spreadsheet since I do all the updates manually. I figured that the information is still pretty recent, and if I updated it now I would have to again at the end of the week anyway.

Hope your internet situation works itself out soon, and you and Riley have been absolutely killing it so far on here. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Patrik Tallinder said:

Oh wow I had no clue you guys were married, its cool that you guys are on here together!

Also in terms of the TPE count, it was all based on the TPE you had at the end of the week of 8/23. I know it’s odd I didn’t include this week, but it makes things way easier to organize on my spreadsheet since I do all the updates manually. I figured that the information is still pretty recent, and if I updated it now I would have to again at the end of the week anyway.

Hope your internet situation works itself out soon, and you and Riley have been absolutely killing it so far on here. Cheers!

Hopefully, it'll be back tomorrow but we're not 100% sure as our ISP said it should be. 

As for us being together yeah but interestingly here's one of the few leagues we've been on the same team. 

We where on the same time in the minors for PBE and the final season of the GOMHL she was my CO-GM but overall we've played on different majors teams for most of our time in SIM leagues.  So it's been nice to play with her here. 

9 hours ago, LatinViking said:

Aww c'mon you pick fucking Reynolds over Yukon's Irish Savior Eoin Fucking Byrne? 

I was surprised that I got a mention in this maybe the writer was focusing on first gens on playoff teams, Just a thought idk though 
With respect, 

Chris Reynolds 

7 minutes ago, Crstats23 said:

I was surprised that I got a mention in this maybe the writer was focusing on first gens on playoff teams, Just a thought idk though 
With respect, 

Chris Reynolds 

94c.png