Jan Stansson Dead at 49

ahockeyguy

Over the VHL.com wire—

Jan Stansson, the father of Miami Marauders defenseman Wolf Stansson, has passed away unexpectedly. He was only 49 years old. The devoted father and husband of three leaves his wife and children behind. The cause of death was not immediately known, though Icelandic authorities have confirmed that the elder Stansson had cardiac conditions previously. The second round of the playoffs is about to begin, and Wolf was not available for an interview. However, he did release a statement read to the press by his agent. It reads as follows:

“Words cannot express the sadness my family and I feel right now. My father was not only my greatest coach for hockey, he was my advocate. He was my guide to life. He showed me how to fish, how to care about others, how to love one’s family, and how to work hard. He taught me so much about what is important in life. To lose him this soon is nearly unbearable. However, he would want me—he would want us—to persevere, both in hockey and especially in life. He was my guide, and I don’t know how I will go on without him. We ask for privacy about this matter in our lives at this time. Thank you.”